Gulfstar 44 Trawler - What to look out for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drewread

Hi all, I'm considering a GS 44 Trawler.

Had a quick read through the forum for the ubiquitous "I own one and here is what to look out for" post but didn't spot one with a long list of answers... so I'll try starting one.

Any current owners have any special items to be on the lookout for while viewing?

Thanks!

You might get more focused feedback if you state the year and model of the Gulfstar 44 you're considering.
Gulfstars of the 70's are significantly different in design than later models.

You might get more focused feedback if you state the year and model of the Gulfstar 44 you're considering.
Gulfstars of the 70's are significantly different in design than later models.
1978 with Twin Perkins 6.354s

I had a newer one and loved it. It was an ‘87 Mark 2.

We purchased a 1980 MC44 in July, 2024. The boat was in great condition, however there is still a lot to look for with an older boat. The bottom was solid and looked like it had just had a bottom job, even after two years. Right off, we had survey issues with current leaking to ground that had to be corrected for insurance along with installing ground-fault receptacles in the two heads and galley. The leaking current ended up being failed power cables plus some earlier "wiring additions" that made use of common lamp cord. I have also had to replace some hoses, the worst being a scupper line at a thru-hull that was actually "weeping" and not caught by the surveyor. Our boat was equipped with a Purasan MSD, but lack of use by the previous owner required some maintenance. I will also need to rebuild the manual bilge pump and correct an odd installation of an electrical bilge pump that is connected to the discharge hose for the manual pump. So far, the biggest issue is finding a diesel mechanic to address a couple of minor issues on one of the engines.

Back
Top Bottom