Fiberglass Antenna Mast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvtraveler73

Vessel Name
Traveler
Vessel Make
Bristol 42
1973 Bristol Trawler 42. Gale gust caught our bimini and crashed the frame into the fiberglass mast for our VHS antenna. Zoom on the pic for detail. Can I buy these masts, or do I need it custom fabricated? Is there a newer solution? Appreciate all suggestions.

Attachments

• Broken Antenna Mast Post.jpg
    Broken Antenna Mast Post.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 68
That is the antenna and is readily available at any marine store.

It could be the antenna as already mentioned. It could also be an extension mast for an antenna. Shakespeare offers both.

Ted

Greetings,
Mr. mv. Simply from the diameter, I suspected, as Mr. OC noted that it it is more likely an extension for your VHF antenna rather than the antenna itself. VHF antennas are in the 8mm to 10mm diameter range from what I've seen.

Could be either one depending on the model of antenna. We have a 14’ antenna that has a lower tube that is part of the antenna and is over 1” in diameter. But they also make extensions to raise an 8’ antenna that is also about that thickness. They are readily available at most marine outfitters.

Looks like Shakespeare gear. Any marine electronics shop can replace it easily with like kind.

That's an extension, available at any marine store. Might not have one in stock but they can order it. Worse part of replacing it is you'll have to pull the antenna coax completely out and reroute it in the new mast. Might have to cut the radio end connector off and replace as well. You also might consider replacing the antenna too, after a few years in the sun the fiberglass degrades and starts shedding glass fibers... into your hands if you touch it. No fun. I just pulled the old Loran antenna off my new to me boat and forgot to put on gloves first. I could still feel it two weeks later.

IMG_0462.jpg. Just pick one up at the local marine store and drive it back to the boat.

The side-mounted antenna like that that we had was for the SSB radio not the VHF. Our VHF antennas were sort wire units that mounted higher on the mast. So, no disagreement with anything here, just a caution in case the OP has a SSB, in which case it could be a different antenna.

The side-mounted antenna like that that we had was for the SSB radio not the VHF. Our VHF antennas were sort wire units that mounted higher on the mast. So, no disagreement with anything here, just a caution in case the OP has a SSB, in which case it could be a different antenna.

My basement still has a fiberglass pole similar to the one in the OP's car. Mine came off my boat soon after finding it was for the dead SSB radio. Quite different from the VHF antennas.

1973 Bristol Trawler 42. Gale gust caught our bimini and crashed the frame into the fiberglass mast for our VHS antenna. Zoom on the pic for detail. Can I buy these masts, or do I need it custom fabricated? Is there a newer solution? Appreciate all suggestions.

Looks like one of the Shakespeare 17-foot or 23-foot VHF antennae common to commercial vessels. Not cheap ..... plus shipping by truck.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=3019772
https://www.boemarine.com/shakespeare-5309-r-23-galaxy-vhf-antenna.html

Back
Top Bottom