“Plumbing” a Reverso Manifold

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larman

Vessel Name
Livin The Dream
Vessel Make
Sea Ray
My old reverso manifold developed an oil leak and could not be repaired. The oil pump was still working well so I decided to buy another manifold. It does not match my current configuration so I am thinking about using copper pipe on the pump side to hook it all together. I do not think their would be much pressure on the suction side. Would this work?

"Would this work?"

YES, but copper can work harden of flexed too often. Install it well, not just hanging on tubing.

My old reverso manifold developed an oil leak and could not be repaired. The oil pump was still working well so I decided to buy another manifold. It does not match my current configuration so I am thinking about using copper pipe on the pump side to hook it all together. I do not think their would be much pressure on the suction side. Would this work?
Why copper? Just use marine-rated rubber fuel hose. There is no downside to rubber hose. Copper is difficult to work and requires a good flaring tool for the tubing ends and then when you have it all together you have to hold your breath that you effected good flares. I elimimated several copper connections to my manifold when I installed new filter heads. Works just fine and meets all ABYC requirements.

Why copper? Just use marine-rated rubber fuel hose. There is no downside to rubber hose. Copper is difficult to work and requires a good flaring tool for the tubing ends and then when you have it all together you have to hold your breath that you effected good flares. I elimimated several copper connections to my manifold when I installed new filter heads. Works just fine and meets all ABYC requirements.

That is what I would do.

"Copper is difficult to work and requires a good flaring tool for the tubing ends and then when you have it all together you have to hold your breath that you effected good flares."

The key is a "good flaring tool", about $35.00 at a refrigeration supply house , not one from the $2.99 bin at a hardware store. A lifetime purchase.

Tool will do copper tubing for diesel, fresh water , refrigeration , and even hyd .at low steering pressures. And if a coil sits on a shelf for a decade , its still fine.

I recently did the exact same - replaced an old leaking Groco manifold with Reverso model - used PVC and it has worked perfectly through several oil changes. Pump, manifold and piping are well supported.

i might use that translucent nylon tubing and compression fittings for something like that. it'll handle vibration well, and you can see the oil as it travels through. plus, it's fast and easy to install.

"Copper is difficult to work and requires a good flaring tool for the tubing ends and then when you have it all together you have to hold your breath that you effected good flares."

The key is a "good flaring tool", about $35.00 at a refrigeration supply house , not one from the $2.99 bin at a hardware store. A lifetime purchase.

Tool will do copper tubing for diesel, fresh water , refrigeration , and even hyd .at low steering pressures. And if a coil sits on a shelf for a decade , its still fine.
Yup, you are absolutely correct but there is still the hassle of bending the tubing - another tool required - to the precise length and if multiple bends are required, then the job becomes more difficult with each bend. If it is simple 90-degree bend to each end, perhaps, but hose is blind dumb easy, no tools required except a cheap tubing cutter.

Back
Top Bottom