12kw generator to 30amp panel wiring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sna

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 48
I’m prepping to install a new to me 12kw generator. The boat’s been generator free for a couple of years since the prior owner had the previous 12kw genny removed. I just replaced the main AC electrical wires which were pretty thick at AWG 3 gauge because they had been spliced in a few areas.

- What’s the best way to connect this very thick wire to the source selector switch on my 30 (120v) amp panel. It’s a new panel (Blue Sea) and the specs for the switch call for a much smaller wire size. I could set up a single main breaker panel for just the genset and then run a smaller cable to the panel selector switch but don’t know if that’s a good idea.

- The more general general question is why do boats have generators that are 10-12kw (up to 100 amps at 120v) when the panels are rated for far less amperage? I’ve already got the Northern Lights generator to put in based on a great Craigslist deal.

Last edited:
A 12kw genset is capable of providing 50a of 220v or 100a 125v. This gives you enough power to run the boats Air conditioning, washer/dryer and/or electric stove. Usually they are set up with a higher capacity switch and two 50a circuit breakers.

Since you are simply running a single 30a 125v circuit you need neither a generator that large nor do you need wiring that big.

You are probably better off installing a 3kw genset.

You failed to give some critical data which leads me to believe you need some professional electrical help before you get into some trouble.

Just my opinion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom