1986 36DC Rochester Carbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JKandris

Good Afternoon folks,

I have a 1986 36DC. She has the blue 270's and one of the carbs finally took a giant crap and now I need to replace them. I intend to go back with the same carb (new of course)(new rebuilt that is) the carb identification plates are long gone. So im stuck with what is printed on them. That number is 17082403 and then under that are the numbers 0939

I know they are Rochester Quadrajets, I have already removed them and tried to have them rebuilt but one just keeps blowing fuel no matter what (I didn't attempt the rebuild a trusted tech friend of mine did) New seals, new blah blah. Everything except the body has been replaced.

The part number that is one the side of the carb references the Rochester's for the 454 motors.

Has anyone had to deal with these carbs before. I'm waiting for a response from these folks https://www.marinecarburetors.com/

Let me know what yall think.

Cheers

John

I had purchased a rebuilt marine Rochester quadra jet from ebay. Looked like it was some company that had a bunch rebuilt ones ready to go. I had the id plate and they sent me the carb, but the carb I received had the numbers ground off of the body. It looked good but I sold the boat before installing the carb then sold the carb to someone else.

I tried the ebay ones a couple years ago and ended up sending both back. They were both jetted wrong, and both were also automotive quadrajets with a J tube vent hacked onto them, not original marine castings.

A good carb shop should be able to get a Quadrajet set up to match what you have (or the original Crusader specs if they're available).

When you say one is blowing fuel, what exactly is it doing and when?

a good mechanic can fix it ,they had heavy floats in them if I remember correctly

Some mechanics refer to the Quadrajet as Quadrajunk.

Just saying..

pete

Some mechanics refer to the Quadrajet as Quadrajunk.

Just saying..

pete

That's not because they're bad carbs, but because they're complicated. So a lot of people never understood them and could never get them to work right. But if set up and working correctly, they're one of the better carbs out there in terms of being almost as easy to live with as fuel injection. Some also preferred other carbs because some other designs have more performance potential if fuel efficiency and good part throttle behavior don't matter.

I like the QuadrajEt. I find them simple but if not done right they simply don’t work. Marine Quadrajets are different from automotive ones but not by much. However you need some one who understands the differences. Lepke offered a great source for a rebuild. I would be hesitant to buy off of eBay. Sierra makes a new(actually they are rebuilds, there is no new production). Since the best you can do is get a rebuild I would send my carbs in rather than trust an unknown or pay the cost of the fake new carbs.

Make sure to take a good fuel sample also , even though you have filters on the motors there is stuff that can get by

Back
Top Bottom