1999 Pilot 30

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DNT99611

I just looked at a very nice Pilot 30 but the stuffing box concerns me. How in the world do you service the thing or get to it in an emergency? Not only is it wedged down inthe keel with no room around it but it is covered with the fuel tank. Wondering how those with one handle the situation.

Very skinny mechanic. Some things are a real challenge to maintain but preferably not routine maintenance items. Good eye in noticing this before you bought the boat. Now you have to decide whether the boat is worth the pain.

Consider changing it out to dripless shaft seal.

Even dripless boxes need maintenance. Ask me how I know. I have just successfully fought one of mine into submission…

The boat has a dripless seal now. I would bet it is well past time for it to be replaced.I can't help thinking of what a failure well offshore would be like. Surely some of the guys with these boats have dealt with the problem already.

PSS recommends replacing the bellows at about 6 or 7 years. I have Norscott dripless and my boat is 25 years old and I am positive that they are original. One started leaking the ATF out this summer so I rebuilt it. The shaft log was actually easy to rebuild, it was getting the coupler off the shaft that was extremely difficult. I finally had to have a socket custom machined in order to fit inside the coupler.

The 30 Pilot II does not have that problem because it has saddle tanks.

Attachments

• DSC01826.jpg
    DSC01826.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 57
Yep the Pilot 11 has a night and day better set up. The factory must have seen the problem and taken care of it when the updated things.

The 30 Pilot II does not have that problem because it has saddle tanks.

Hey Rich, That's a NexGen Generator Stbd of the shaft, yes? Where is your house bank? I don't have the Gen, so my House 2 6V are right there where the Gen is. Wondering where you found room for those.

Hey Rich, That's a NexGen Generator Stbd of the shaft, yes? Where is your house bank? I don't have the Gen, so my House 2 6V are right there where the Gen is. Wondering where you found room for those.

Yes, genny to stbd. House of two Optima 12V batts is strapped in outboard side of the engine stringer. That shortens up the heavy cable run to the power panel and allows short cable run to the parallel switch allowing me to start the engine when the start batts wimp out (had it happen once). Could have started the gen off the house bank to charge the starts, but this was simpler that day.

Yes, genny to stbd. House of two Optima 12V batts is strapped in outboard side of the engine stringer. That shortens up the heavy cable run to the power panel and allows short cable run to the parallel switch allowing me to start the engine when the start batts wimp out (had it happen once). Could have started the gen off the house bank to charge the starts, but this was simpler that day.

Yea,On our old bigger boat, we added a 1/2 all switch to the house and Genny so we could bring in either bank to help start the mains or genny from any bank if needed. It was needed once, but it was an easy solution! Are you using the Blue Top Optima's? Are you happy with that house bank set up, or do you wish you had more AH's? Reason I ask, is I'm considering putting another 2 6V's up under the bench just above my house bank to make 4 6V's. Sorry to hijack this thread.......WE have a new to us boat, so there are so many things to consider!

Yea,On our old bigger boat, we added a 1/2 all switch to the house and Genny so we could bring in either bank to help start the mains or genny from any bank if needed. It was needed once, but it was an easy solution! Are you using the Blue Top Optima's? Are you happy with that house bank set up, or do you wish you had more AH's? Reason I ask, is I'm considering putting another 2 6V's up under the bench just above my house bank to make 4 6V's. Sorry to hijack this thread.......WE have a new to us boat, so there are so many things to consider!

Shot you a PM.

Back
Top Bottom