2 Anchor/Windlass Questions: Mainship 400

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ssurabus

Veteran Member
Hi,

I've got 2 questions for the group:

1) Do anchor rollers actually roll?
When I watch the chain/rode come over the roller it just slides over with no rotation of the roller. I've seen others do the same. What is the proper behavior, and does it matter? It seems like it would be less strain on the windlass if it rotated. Do your rollers roll?

2) Lewmar Concept 1 Windlass
Does anyone have knowledge of the maximum anchor/chain weight that this winch can accommodate? The anchor that came with the boat is a Delta FastSet that by scale weights 37 pounds. Originally there as about 12' of chain attached to it. Years ago, I replaced the 12' of chain with 75' of chain, but never gave any consideration to the power of the windlass. It "works", but it always seem a bit underpowered to me. This is coming up now because I am considering replacing the Delta with a 44 pound Vulcan which is yet another increase in weight. I could reduce the chain to 50'. I anchor almost exclusively in about 20' of water or less so I'm not sure if that would be significant savings. Any input on this windlass in regards to suitable anchor/chain weight would be appreciated. I'm waiting to hear back from Lewmar - will post response if it ever comes.

I believe it is a 700W motor.

Thanks

Mine roll. But if there’s less friction of the chain going over the roller than there is in the roller axle interface the roll won’t spin. No big deal as long as it’s not wearing the roller unevenly.

Back
Top Bottom