2001 Mainship 390 - Stern platform Ladder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiz

Our ladder is very hard to pull out of it's pocket. Seems like the plastic coating is coming apart and that may be binding it up.

Anyone ever had that issue or done anything to make the ladder easier to us? Takes all my strength to pull it out.

--Kevin

(no picture)
Why the plastic coating?

Sounds like the same one on my old MS 400. Remove it, remove all the plastic, clean it up and paint with a good polyurethane paint. Reinstall, and keep a bit of lube where it slides out.

And be sure that release hook is not binding.

Mine worked great and used it all the time.

Kevin
Take a look at my Bacchus website (in signature)- Projects section - for details and Mfg info. Others have extended the ladder to get another step - not inexpensive but vs other completely new ladder options not outrageous.
The first project I completed on my MS 34HT was a mod to the swim ladder.
I had planned to pull it off and look into having the ladder sand blasted and powder coated by a local shop. When I pulled it of and started cleaning it up I realized the upper frame was all SS so I stripped the old coating and did the mods shown and remounted it.
If the ladder is the same and the issue is the upper frame you might consider the same approach. If it is the ladder itself that is alum and would probably benefit from a redo of the powder coating if you are in salt water. I'm is fresh water and would try just stripping the coating if it was coming loose.
Hope it helps

I think the ladder on my 400 is similar. Last time, I pulled the ladder off in order to repair or replace. Same situation with the coating coming off. Found the manufacturer and a new ladder was over $600 and would take 4-6 weeks to receive. I took the ladder to a local powder coater and had it redone for a little over $200. Looks great.

Skip
Tampa

That’s probably my plan. Have a good powdercoat place in town.

—Kevin

Just a FYI...
I broke a couple of the SS bolts when removing them.
MS embedded an alum plate ( actually 2 I believe) in the platform for attachment.
I was able to drill another mounting hole in the ladder frame and drill and tap a mating hole in the embedded alum plate. Best to use a good SS antisieze on the threads to prevent the galling between SS & alum.

Yes i broke both outer bolts off. Now not sure how to get it out of the pocket without cutting the ladder apart.

Has anyone replaced theirs with something else? This design sucks,

—Kevin

I have switched to 4 Steps Dive Ladder since the dinghy is always on the way.
easy to use and stored on the bridge back rail (see pictures).
Good luck,

boat.JPG

ladder.JPG

I actually have one of those. Remembering it is deployed might be a problem but would be cost effective.

You store it upstairs? Mount it how?

Comodave has a point there to keep in mind however, the dinghy will still be in the way in my case.

My ladder is secured to the rail by a set of Velcro

Understood. I come from racing sailing background.
Fairly unlikely to be overboard off this boat. But i get it. .

Yes i broke both outer bolts off. Now not sure how to get it out of the pocket without cutting the ladder apart.

Has anyone replaced theirs with something else? This design sucks,

—Kevin
If yours is similar to the one pictured on my website the SS angle frame unboltsfrom the platform. With bolts removed or broken the whole assembly drops down with the ladder still in the upper stationary frame. Once removed you can then disassemble and work on it.
That is how it is mounted on my 34HT... others maybe different?
A pic might help.

Right. How many offshore trips have you done? How many safety at sea seminars? How often have you been on a sailboat with the spinnaker up and masthead in the water? Hmm?

Try not to challenge people you don't know. This is a thread on ladders for the ms 390. Lets keep it there ok?

Bacchus yours is similar but not same. Mines in a pocket while yours hangs under the platform. Mine supported by aluminum brackets to the sides. Ss screws broken off in those brackets. I expect ill cut it all apart and hope a welder friend can reassemble.

Right. How many offshore trips have you done? How many safety at sea seminars? How often have you been on a sailboat with the spinnaker up and masthead in the water? Hmm?

Try not to challenge people you don't know. This is a thread on ladders for the ms 390. Lets keep it there ok?

I am not challenging you, even if you are challenging me. But as to background I have taught boating safety for 30 years. I have rescued 9 people from the water during that time, 3 of which were unable to get back aboard due to not being able to deploy the boarding ladder from in the water so I take that very seriously. I have done a few offshore trips but not on a sailboat. So maybe you don’t need to cast aspersions without knowing my background…

Dave please stop crapping on my thread. Go educate somewhere else.

—Kevin

Well, you don’t own this thread, it is the property of Trawler Forum. And as long as a post doesn’t violate the rules it is proper to be posted. Just because you either don’t agree or like a post it isn’t your choice that someone doesn’t post it. As long as it is within the rules of the site it is ok. You need to maybe learn that not everyone here will agree with you and just shrug it off. As to education on TF, that is one of the main features of the site. Hopefully I learn something every day that I participate on TF.

Respectfully, I think Comodave raised a valid point. It’s my understanding that the ABYC guidelines require a boarding ladder to be deployable by a person in the water, and I’ve seen a surveyor ding a boat for not having one mounted on the swim platform, which an insurance company likely would make you remedy.

Except that the concern of this thread was how to get the ladder out and what could replace it.

Not safety, not any concerns, not chest beating about how knowledgeable Dave is.

Thanks all, I’ll just do it on my own. I hope you realize you chase people away from the forum with behavior I
Like this. Grow up.

—Kevin

Except that the concern of this thread was how to get the ladder out and what could replace it.

Not safety, not any concerns, not chest beating about how knowledgeable Dave is.

Thanks all, I’ll just do it on my own. I hope you realize you chase people away from the forum with behavior I

Like this. Grow up.

—Kevin

You sound like a load of fun, Kevin.

We *try* to be civil here on this forum. Try harder.

QUOTE=tiz;1061668]Except that the concern of this thread was how to get the ladder out and what could replace it.

Like this. Grow up.

—Kevin[/QUOTE]

I was not trying to beat my chest about how knowledgeable I am or am not. I was responding to your post about how knowledgeable and experienced you are, remember that post.

Have you looked at a few threads here? Very few stay exactly on the original topic.

Thanks all, I’ll just do it on my own. I hope you realize you chase people away from the forum with behavior Like this. Grow up.

—Kevin

Or, great people flock to this forum for exactly what you seem to object to.

Can’t tell you how many times I’ve been set on a course related to something here. Discussion ensues, disagreements, opinions, usually a few fun jabs… oh and the monkeys! I usually learn something, may change my plans, or keep them the same, but I may know the ins and outs of my plans a lot better now. It’s a very positive experience if you can let it happen and be ok being challenged….and pretty much every one here has good intentions. It just may not come across in text.

Even the monkeys mean well.

“I’ll just do it on my own” isn’t really the type of person that would come here. You came for a reason, maybe try to see we are all here just trying to help.

Sometimes help is telling you what you may not want to hear or like.

The intentions of people here are good. Remember that. And maybe smile a bit?

If a poster bothers you that much, there is always the ignore function. I currently use it for two posters and I have found that it makes my experience on the forum more enjoyable.

I've got my eye on a couple of others as well and I'm not afraid to mash that button. So y'all better tighten up and watch your step.

Doug

Our ladder is very hard to pull out of it's pocket. Seems like the plastic coating is coming apart and that may be binding it up.

Anyone ever had that issue or done anything to make the ladder easier to us? Takes all my strength to pull it out.

--Kevin

Same boat same year… and yes, I had a similar problem, though doesn’t sound like mine was as bad. There are some great permanent fixes suggested here. Mine was done on a “temporary” (permanent) basis by shooting some white lithium spray lube on the sliding contact parts. I was concerned about being in the water and not being able to extend it.

Kevin,

This link shows what we did to improve on the OEM ladder on our MS390.

https://shellerina.com/2020/09/12/new-swim-ladder/

Note the added S/S handle up top of the transom by the lazarette.

It was not easy to find online, but they are out there.

I just found this source:
https://www.marinedepotdirect.com/s...pontoon-boat-ladder-with-extra-wide-step.html

There are a few others.

Note that this is 304 Stainless not 316. The boat has been in the water for 8 months since the install, half of that in salt water, half in fresh (Erie Canal, Great Lakes, and rivers). But 304 Stainless will beat the plastic paint on the original any day! LOL

((For fasteners, I used s/s lag screws along with 3M's 5200.))

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom