$30k 42 Krogen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This Krogen is another prime example of stupidity.
The owner should have sold it prior to screwing it up.
He/she could have gotten more money for it.

I have no idea of the history or condition of this boat. I can say for sure that the standard practice at Herrington Harbor North for scheduled haul outs is that a slip is assigned to you much like a transient and they tow the boat to the lift and haul it out when they can get to it. They don't run the boats there and the owner doesn't get notified as to the exact day it will be hauled so the owner probably isn't around when hauled. I'm sure emergencies and short hauls for surveys are handled differently.

Last edited:
Sure, I can envision lots of reasons.... first thing came to my mind was steering failure.

As far as the boat being a wreck, how many threads have started discussing starting 5-10 year old yard engines and half the advice is crank'em up, mine were fine.

Yep, lotsa running boats get towed.

Running and trustworthy are 2 different things too.
Fair enough, good points. Still, this boat is butt ugly. I am still waiting for the pictures I requested from the owner. Maybe he found a buyer. By the way, there is paint peeling from the hull too.

Hey I have no dog in the fight and no interest in the boat....just relaying the 100 reasons a boat may be towed even with engines that "may" run.

I thought it mike make an interesting project to try some ideas.

TT Leaks, teak overlay deck and ports with no PM resealing allow water into the boat that rots the usually ply wood.

The home folks have a solution for leaky houses, they pressurize the interior and then spray bits of sealant into the air . It is pushed thru the voids and collects and hardens , sealing the gaps.

If this worked , at least the boat would stop going downhill , until the real repairs started.

The boat was from Canada , and the owner never explained how it was titled.

Last edited:
This reminds me of a somewhat similar recent string about what seemed to be an impossible price for a Nordhavn N46, a 1995 I think. I am sorry I couldn't find the string of posts, but wanted to thank the fellow member, because I discovered the "Captain Q" youtube videos through the link he provided. I had never heard of him, and am not looking for a sailboat, but the variety of boats he shows, and their history, have been a great way to spend indoor time with all the rain we have been having.
I actually tracked down the current owner of the N46, who seems totally ambivalent about selling, but was very honest with me, and I got a good lesson in the kinds of events that boats are subject to; he bought the boat about 4 years ago, for only $157K, after it had fallen off a storage rack at a marina in Ft. Lauderdale! Since then he has rebuilt the main and wing engines, installed new bow and stern thrusters, removed the saddle tanks, and added a flying bridge! He and his wife run a boatyard in Belfast, Maine, so he probably knows what he is doing, and although he said everything runs great, it definitely could be more of a project than I want to take on. Interesting guy, and a great story, though, so I am happy to have had the chance to talk to him. When it comes to boats, like the saying goes, "you just can't make this stuff up!"

This reminds me of a somewhat similar recent string about what seemed to be an impossible price for a Nordhavn N46, a 1995 I think. I am sorry I couldn't find the string of posts, but wanted to thank the fellow member, because I discovered the "Captain Q" youtube videos through the link he provided. I had never heard of him, and am not looking for a sailboat, but the variety of boats he shows, and their history, have been a great way to spend indoor time with all the rain we have been having.
I actually tracked down the current owner of the N46, who seems totally ambivalent about selling, but was very honest with me, and I got a good lesson in the kinds of events that boats are subject to; he bought the boat about 4 years ago, for only $157K, after it had fallen off a storage rack at a marina in Ft. Lauderdale! Since then he has rebuilt the main and wing engines, installed new bow and stern thrusters, removed the saddle tanks, and added a flying bridge! He and his wife run a boatyard in Belfast, Maine, so he probably knows what he is doing, and although he said everything runs great, it definitely could be more of a project than I want to take on. Interesting guy, and a great story, though, so I am happy to have had the chance to talk to him. When it comes to boats, like the saying goes, "you just can't make this stuff up!"

I suspect that was my N46.

The history of this N46 must be pretty interesting! The current owner's are Paul and Katy, but he did say that the boat had had "a few different owners" over the past 20-something years.
It also must be a testament to the way Nordhavn's are built that one could fall off a storage rack and still be capable of cruising from Ft. Lauderdale to Belfast!

The history of this N46 must be pretty interesting! The current owner's are Paul and Katy, but he did say that the boat had had "a few different owners" over the past 20-something years.
It also must be a testament to the way Nordhavn's are built that one could fall off a storage rack and still be capable of cruising from Ft. Lauderdale to Belfast!

1989 as I recall.
Fell of the jacks, drove the port side stabilizer fin into the owner's stateroom. Big hole.
I think someone took 2 of the four fuel tanks out (now about 500gal), pulled out the 20K generator (12K boat), took the 8K Westerbeke out of the aft lazarett too.(I would have kept the 8K after installing a 12K generator.) The only way to get the 20K gen out would be through a big hole in the stbd side of the boat or maybe they pulled the main engine out for the rebuild and manhandled the 20K out in pieces. That 20K ate up space, big time, in the engine room.
The boat had 4 8D AGM batteries.... groan.
The string of owners dropped a lot of money into that boat, as did I. I do hope one of them removed and reseated all the windows, repairing the inside teak as necessary. They rebuilt the galley too.
I can recognize the boat because the one curved cushion in the saloon never did conform to the curve of the wood and material is wrinkled.
I changed out the bow thruster and installed a 12hp thruster.
I dropped about $30K redesigning and rebuilding the fwd stateroom for my 'then' wife.
They did update the helm and nav electronics. Took out the combo washer dryer and the cold plate freezer too, I think.
I would classify the boat as 'having good bones' and many 'opportunities', (read as opportunities to spend money)
I think they repainted it all white. I liked the various shades of tan. Made it look salty.
I got rid of the fwd mast. I saw a pic and it appears someone remove the aft mast, at least for the picture.
I added the swim platform and access doors in the cockpit.
I really enjoyed changing things and making more to my liking. If it had not fallen off the jacks, I would still own the boat and spending even more money on it. LOL

Last edited:

Not really, I had a friend with an old 30 foot O'Day sailboat that the trailer it was on came unhooked and passed the vehicle on a steep grade on the NY Thruway.

It didn't negotiate a turn at 60 miles an hour or so and toppled over.

He repaired it and sailed it to the Bahamas and back many times and all over S Florida for years.

Repairing vessels to original isn't magic.

Yes Nordies are well constructed, but any vessels repair is dependent on the craftsman.

I am sure you are right about all the machinery they took out, which I think also included the A/C, because when I spoke to the owner he wanted me to know that they had installed a ceiling fan in the master.
They must have removed the aft mast also, because supposedly the boat now has an air height of 20', which came up when we were talking about cruising the ICW and Loop.( including the FB they added...)
Must be really strange to see your "baby" with changes someone else has made....

Must be really strange to see your "baby" with changes someone else has made....

The pics of my N46 changes made, not strange. It was refreshing to see how they rebuilt it, bringing back up. Of course one of the owners painted it all white, that was a bit strange. I rather liked the various shade of light tan. A salty look

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Not Mine the name of the boat

So what all does it need ? Can't leave us hanging....
Could you even get insurance on a 1977 boat if you did spend the money to fix it up ?

If you're serious about the boat, I would suggest you contact a boat surveyor familiar with the KK.

Everything can be repaired or replaced at a cost.

Work with the surveyor to get a good repair list and then take the list, the survey, and the photos to the boat tradesmen at the yard (or where ever) and get estimates for repair.

If you can, plan on doing the grunt work yourself. That's the long boring, low skilled work that costs a fortune to hire out. Use the skilled craftsmen where skills apply.

Now you know.

I think the electrical would be the most time consuming issue. The BEST solution would be to just start fresh with new panels, wiring, everything . . . . The panel is already out and disconnected per the seller. The fuel tank(s) are pretty straight forward, involved, yes, expensive, potentially yes, but still pretty straight forward. But the wiring . . . probably 20k alone. Still could be a good deal if you can do most of the work yourself . . :dance:

I saw a post quite a while ago about a Krogen 42 that had delamination in the hull. That could be a death knell if that were the case. Don’t know what years they had cored hulls though.

Not always a negative however. The most recent owner of my old Burger put a couple of 6-figures into renovating the boat and now has it in active charter in Alaska. They did a beautiful job. Except I don't like the anchor (actually it is the 60lb Danforth I had bought) Ha!

Back
Top Bottom