390 for sale in Seattle - what should 8 know?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beaverlake

Vessel Name
Knot Home
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4788 - 1998
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2000/mainship-390-trawler-3595035/

I’m seriously considering moving from our 1998 Bayliner 4788 and this caught my eye. I’m aware of “environmental” issues (single vs twin, pilothouse vs “trawler”, etc etc). I thought I’d reach out for some additional input.

1. Is anyone familiar with this boat?
2. Every boat model seems to have a few peculiarities and or a common problem or two - what might those be with a 2000 single Cummins 390.
3. What would we absolutely love about a 390?
4. Any other comments on the 390 very welcome.

I’m starting to dig into research. I actually prefer a single with thruster because of my perception that it is much easier to do routine maintenance.

TIA
Gordon

We liked the 350/390 ever since it was introduced... because we saw it as an answer to all the suggested "improvements" that could happen to an older 34 I/II/III in a clean-sheet build from the ground up.

That said, we've never had one, so all that was just theory.

Cummins 6BTs are generally reputed to be very decent engines. I'd tend to agree with those advantages with a single (and a thruster would be nice)...

What improvements do you see that downsizing from your current ride would give you?

-Chris

It looks to be a very nice boat. Maintop is a good boat, generally not thought to be a "great' boat. I really like the galley up design. Price really seems right.

Go for it!!

pete

We liked the 350/390 ever since it was introduced... because we saw it as an answer to all the suggested "improvements" that could happen to an older 34 I/II/III in a clean-sheet build from the ground up.

That said, we've never had one, so all that was just theory.

Cummins 6BTs are generally reputed to be very decent engines. I'd tend to agree with those advantages with a single (and a thruster would be nice)...

What improvements do you see that downsizing from your current ride would give you?

-Chris

Easier docking and anchoring (it has a bow thruster), lower capital and ownership costs, easier DIY maintenance and general access, easier upkeep, easier dinghy launch/retrieve. I just want a smaller boat. Also looking at Riviera 33 sedans (different in sooo many ways) and Tiara 35 open (ditto) but the 390 is appealing. I think I’m done with Bayliner for now (nothing specific, we’ve had two) and I don’t want to drop back to 88/89/90 Ocean Alexander or Tolly (I’m also over 30 year old boats). The only drawback I see in the 390 is cabin space. I’d trade the wall of cabinets aft of the fridge for space to accommodate two small chairs.

The only drawback I see in the 390 is cabin space. I’d trade the wall of cabinets aft of the fridge for space to accommodate two small chairs.

Then teh Mainship 34T might e a better fit. It is the same boat, however they took out the guest cabin and moved the galley down, which opens the entire solon.

Easier docking and anchoring (it has a bow thruster), lower capital and ownership costs, easier DIY maintenance and general access, easier upkeep, easier dinghy launch/retrieve. I just want a smaller boat.

Fair enough. I'll only add that it's generally possible to add a bow thruster to whatever boat you've got in hand. In case that's a major driver.

-Chris

We are very happy with our 2002 390. From the listing she looks nice and in the price range.

Back
Top Bottom