A/C Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaDestiny

Vessel Name
Destiny
Vessel Make
Trojan 10.8M Sportfish
Good day, anyone have a suggestion for something to clean algae from A/C raw water circuit. I am on the St Lucie river in Fl and don’t have an issue with barnacles but I do accumulate moss/algae/slime sludge. Haven’t found anything that works to clear it out.

I have used Barnacle Buster diluted 50/50 to good effect. Mix up the BB solution in a bucket. Close the thruhull valve. Open the top of the strainer, start the A/C then pour the BB into the open strainer.

It will take a gallon or two to displace all of the water. If you watch the R/W outlet on the side of the boat you can usually see it begin to foam when it has displaced the water.

Let it sit for a few hours, then close up the strainer, open the thruhull and run the A/C for 15 minutes to displace all of the BB.

I haven’t tried it but some leave copper penneys in the strainer which helps to control algae. Even better would be bromine tablets.

David

Reactions: FWT
Thanks, appreciate the help.

Any reason to NOT put a penny in the diesel engine strainer? Different metals, etc.

Any reason to NOT put a penny in the diesel engine strainer? Different metals, etc.
I put copper plumbing fittings in my engine strainers. I don't know if it helps. I use Rydlyme to flush hx every two years.

Reactions: FWT
Back
Top Bottom