AC / DC Panel Segregation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skag

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Chrysalis
Vessel Make
2006 Metal Craft Marine 50' Trawler
Does anyone know if there is some sort of ABYC requirement to have segregation? My AC and DC panels are located in totally separate cabinets. Im planning to install a new remote generator panel just above my AC panel that has 12vdc and low voltage DC gauges in my AC cabinet and want to make sure I stay within ABYC. I know it will work, but want to make sure I’m meeting code. Thanks for the help.

The A/C part should have a cover over it if they are in the same area. So you don’t confuse A/C hot (black) with D/C ground (also black).

Thank you for the reply guys. I will make sure to properly shield and segregate so it is clear to not just me but the next guy.

Does anyone have an ABYC section reference?
My AC and DC are within the same cabinet front with one door for each exposing the panel.
On the back side both are within the same space that has a molded enclosure that has to be removed to access both panels.

If you have do a lot of rewiring, you could use yellow or yellow/green wire for dc ground to make sure you don't confuse it for ac hot. That is the newer code. Way more important if they're in the same cabinet. All my boats have the two panels adjacent and black wire for both. You have to damn careful with that color scheme.

Back
Top Bottom