Adding Hotstart block heaters & Hydronic heater...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have the Wolverine pan heaters on our recently purchased boat with twin 6BTA Cummins. Also in the Seattle area....when the cold started, to start the engines took about 30 sec of cranking. Turned on the pan heaters and next day engines started immediately. We leave them on 24/7 and they are 250w each. Previous owner mounted them to the sides of the pans. Can't say anything to the longevity but they sure work well at the moment.

Scott, what did you end up going with? I'm looking to add block heaters this fall and have the same boat/engines. Any progress on the hydronic heating?

SaltDaddy,
I also recommend the Wolverine oil pan heaters. I installed one on my Cummins 6BTA on the bottom of the oil pan. Just roughed up the paint with a gritty sand paper and applied using the supplied adhesive and edge sealant. It was a simple install, but if the oil pan lacks space under it for access, you may have to install on the side of the pan? It only draws 250 watts. It kept the engine warm to the touch, ensured that the oil was warm and thinner than it would have been to better lubricate on cold starts, and even raised the ambient temp in the engine room, which in turn reduced humidity and kept any rusting at bay. Just leave on 24/7 in the winter (season) to ensure adequate heating. Much lower power draw than conventional "block heater".

I was very happy with it's performance. No affiliation, just a customer.

Back
Top Bottom