Air Conditioner VFD technology?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The compressor is 12v and the unit has an inverter to convert 120vAC to 12vDC. I love the idea of variable speed compressor but that's due to the 12v compressor controls. I have a little trouble believing converting AC to DC is 98% efficient, possible but not likely. Why not just get a 12v Mabru and run directly off the house batteries?

Also the problem I have is my main 120vAC raw water pump needs to run, most people would have to add a 12v pump with some plumbing/wiring/seacock, this adds significantly to the overall cost which is already higher than off the shelf 120V units. Great technology but not a drop in replacement.

I have a Mitsubishi inverter split unit on my trawler. Works great for heat and AC and uses very little power. The outside unit is mounted up on the bridge and salt water is not a factor. I would never go with a regular marine AC with pumps again.

I have a Mitsubishi inverter split unit on my trawler. Works great for heat and AC and uses very little power. The outside unit is mounted up on the bridge and salt water is not a factor. I would never go with a regular marine AC with pumps again.

Just came over to Bahamas today and had salt spray right over the Fly Bridge. Happens all the time. I'm not saying to not use those but I'm sure they are affected by salt spray, maybe they last 5-10yrs. We just replaced our (3) Marine A/Cs after 24yrs of usage, before they failed.

Just came over to Bahamas today and had salt spray right over the Fly Bridge. Happens all the time. I'm not saying to not use those but I'm sure they are affected by salt spray, maybe they last 5-10yrs. We just replaced our (3) Marine A/Cs after 24yrs of usage, before they failed.
My use case assumed a 5 year service life for the exterior unit. But it's under $1k and plug and play... I hate to plan for that, but it's not a terrible scenario from a $$ point of view.

The Mitsubishi has a 10 year warranty on them and for the price point and the safety of not having to leave a water pump running 24/7, it is well worth it. More and more boats are being built with these and they have proven their marine capabilities in Europe for many years

The Mitsubishi has a 10 year warranty on them and for the price point and the safety of not having to leave a water pump running 24/7, it is well worth it. More and more boats are being built with these and they have proven their marine capabilities in Europe for many years

Is that a marine-specific model?

I am very familiar with what we call a "mini split" AC system here in Mexico.
Believe me I would LOVE to use them on my boat.

Why??? because they work great, they are reasonably inexpensive, and there are a zillion tech's locally to service them.

Here is the problem...

The outdoor unit is approx 30" L X 12" W X 24" H. Where to bolt it down out of the way??? Theoretically I could remove my deep freeze and use that space.

Then you have to route an insulated copper pipe and electrical cables to the indoor unit which bolts to a wall and is approx 30" W X 10" H X 10". That kind of real estate is just not available on a boat.

How about a Cooper & Hunter 9k, which has a shorter air handler.

Attachments

• F503589D-FDE6-41C1-A447-318DB672D7B3.jpg
    F503589D-FDE6-41C1-A447-318DB672D7B3.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 28
Mini splits are intriguing, especially now with ducted and cassette indoor air handler options - not to mention the cost and efficiency. A trawler on our dock has had one for years. Been from Alaska to the Sea of Cortez. Still going strong.

I also like that they don’t require more holes in the hull

I'm going to look at the mini split units some more before I buy anything.

We bought a inverter type top quality trane mini split for thew house here in Mexico last summer for $1200 USD installed.

I have a full sized deep freeze on the flybridge. I could in that exact same protected space have two or three outdoor units servicing mini split systems.

Back
Top Bottom