Air conditioning La Paz/Loreto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nube

Vessel Name
Nube
Vessel Make
Hatteras 48 LRC
Hello looking to install some A/C on our boat in the near future most likely cruise air. Wondering if anyone has had service on their ac or done an install of A/C in the Loreto or La Paz area and could recommend someone that can assist with that. We would bringing the units with us to avoid shipping costs.

Hectors refrigeration in La Paz does good work. I had his guys fix my fridge and icemaker.

When I did my AC installation (at marina La Paz), I did it myself and hired a couple guys on the dock to help with the heavy lifting of the units themselves.

Suggest bringing not just the main AC unit, but the install gear too. Thru-hulls, hoses, hose clamps, wiring, etc. I can't speak to La Paz, but marine grade components are hard to source in Ensenada. SureMarine in Seattle area has a great selection of ducting, diverters, returns, and registers. I have been able to find insulated 4" and 6" ducting on Ensenada, but not 5" if thats what you need. This is the type of stuff that can really confound an install south of the border.

Peter

In La Paz you will find a suprisingly good selection of plumbing hardware in stock at the marine store connected to Marina La Paz

I foubnd in stock for example a groco sea strainer, and the various parts necessary to maske my installation work out.

That said Mexico is a place that will teach you patience. Many times you will have to import what you need and the time it takes to clear customs, along with the price can be a bit frustrating.

The best thing to do is plan ahead, and kick back and wait. Getting frustrated will not get your parts faster, but it will affect your mental well being.

:blush:

Are you replacing an existing A/C units? Or are you doing a brand new install where none was installed prior? If brand new install, you will need lots of little bits that you won't be aware of until you need them. :banghead: And I would definitely recommend installing reverse cycle units, so they can be used for both heating and cooling.

If removing old and installing new, it's pretty simple. I would recommend replacing all the hoses though, not reusing the old. We replaced both our old cruisaire units last year and have been pretty happy with both of them except that the company went out of business during our purchase. but that's another story.
Install was pretty straight forward. The only issue we've had is several failed raw water pumps in a row on the aft stateroom unit. The raw water pumps in the engine room started leaking at the impeller housing joint to the pump, but were both replaced under warranty.
Huge difference in comfort inside the boat, in both heating and cooling modes!:dance:

Thanks all for the great information. Boat started with A/C, previous owner took out a/c units and ducting. It is looking like Ensenada will probably be the best place to tackle the project.

I second Hector’s Refrigeration, they have repaired for me, there are some other outfits as well.

Also for parts, Ferre Mar is good and less expensive, also Lopez Marine has best selection but they are most expensive, they import a lot of things from West Marine weekly.

The A/C Install has begun. If you have a manifold that goes with your set up what material did you use for the manifold? We were going to use 304 stainless steel.

The A/C Install has begun. If you have a manifold that goes with your set up what material did you use for the manifold? We were going to use 304 stainless steel.

bronze is just fine

We had a leak in our raw water manifold, which was made of PVC. This was a new development and it was 12 years old (original equipment).

We are in the boatyard at Baja Naval and they are making a new one, also out of PVC.

Back
Top Bottom