Air Handler Filter Changing Schedule...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osprey69

Vessel Name
Rogue
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 49 MY
How often do you change your air filter for the air handler. Monthly? Quarterly? No way to test filter and Googling an answer it leads to nowhere.

Thanks in advane.

I would say it depends on the amount of use of the air handler. Weekender vs liveaboard. Pets or no.

In Corpus Christi Texas, 3 - 16000 BTU AC's, in this summer heat, with one cat on board, I clean the Air filter's every other week, and the sea strainer, every 5 days.

The Brockerts

I would say it depends on the amount of use of the air handler. Weekender vs liveaboard. Pets or no.

Yup. Should have mentioned we are liveaboards, no pets and these days A/C on 24/7 (compressor cycles on and off).

Thanks in advance.

Probably at a minimum, monthly air handler filter cleanings without pets and weekly strainer cleanings unless more seaweed is observed.

I think all the marine air handler "filters" I've seen get cleaned, not replaced. It's more of a screen than a filter, and certainly not a replaceable filter like in a home HVAC system. Are yours otherwise?

I would suggest checking them, cleaning them, then checking weekly to get a sense of how quickly they collect dirt. I think other people's experience will vary widely based on individual circumstances, so you will need to figure out what your specifics are. How quickly dust accumulates on your boat I suspect will be an indicator

Mine don't need cleaning more than annually, but we also use very little HVAC, no pets, and carpet over most flooring.

I think all the marine air handler "filters" I've seen get cleaned, not replaced. It's more of a screen than a filter, and certainly not a replaceable filter like in a home HVAC system. Are yours otherwise?

I would suggest checking them, cleaning them, then checking weekly to get a sense of how quickly they collect dirt. I think other people's experience will vary widely based on individual circumstances, so you will need to figure out what your specifics are. How quickly dust accumulates on your boat I suspect will be an indicator

Mine don't need cleaning more than annually, but we also use very little HVAC, no pets, and carpet over most flooring.

My Dometic unit uses the air filters you purchase in a hardware store etc...I do not believe they are made to be cleaned.

Mine are cleaned by spray water, backward, through them once a month

My Dometic unit uses the air filters you purchase in a hardware store etc...I do not believe they are made to be cleaned.

I haven’t seen those on a boat. Maybe a PO refit?

Vintage? Its a 2019 Dometic split unit. The replaceable filter that is built into the air handler. I would think that any air handler needs a filter to keep the unit free of stuff and keep the air clean for the occupants.

Vintage? Its a 2019 Dometic split unit. The replaceable filter that is built into the air handler. I would think that any air handler needs a filter to keep the unit free of stuff and keep the air clean for the occupants.

Wow, I've never seen that in a marine AC system. Homes, yes, but never a marine system. Regardless, if that's what you have.... I think I would visually inspect it monthly to get a sense of how long it takes for it to fill up. How much time you are on the boat, and amount of time the HVAC is running will of course be key factors. Most important is probably to determine the size and make sure you have a few on hand on the boat.

We have a black lab that sheds an unbelievable amount of hair. It gets all over the boat but strangely not so much in the air filters.

Back
Top Bottom