All electric galley

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Morgans Cloud' (Attainable Adventure) biggest knock against electric is lack of an oven. They like to roast and bake, and there is not a good electric equivalent comparable to induction. To their thinking, they would need a generator to do a 2-hour roast, so electric is significantly less efficient than propane. If your cooking habits do not include long roasts and braises, the resistance to electric wanes.

The perfect setup for me would be a 20-inch sized dual fuel induction cooktop with propane oven. I really like induction, especially compared to the tiny gas burners on propane stoves in this size category. I like the Breville a lot and it is indeed a plausible replacement for a home oven. I'm just not 'there' yet as it would necessitate running the generator for me. I know there are many on here that differ, but I just don't want to run a generator except when necessary.

Peter

I think that's exactly one of those situation where boat size becomes a problem. With a boat under 45 feet, you probably can't fit enough solar, batteries, etc. to handle significant electric baking without a generator. Once you're looking at something the size of Simi's boat, the equation changes. Space for batteries is much less of an issue, the weight of them is hardly a concern and you've got space for a large amount of solar. At that point, it's just down to spending enough money to make it work.

I've had the little butane single burners on board as a backup. They have their own issues. You should, of course, completely remove the can when not in use and store the can outside the boat. The little rubber plug in those (and the Coleman cartridges) are prone to leaking. Sooner or later you will find a can that is suspiciously empty. Guess where that butane/propane went?

Same is true with spray paint, lubricants, etc. They often use propane/butane as the propellant. That old trusty rusty can of WD40 could fill your bilge with propane. Spray cans are only one day guests on board.

Morgans Cloud' (Attainable Adventure) biggest knock against electric is lack of an oven. They like to roast and bake, and there is not a good electric equivalent comparable to induction. To their thinking, they would need a generator to do a 2-hour roast, so electric is significantly less efficient than propane. If your cooking habits do not include long roasts and braises, the resistance to electric wanes.

The perfect setup for me would be a 20-inch sized dual fuel induction cooktop with propane oven. I really like induction, especially compared to the tiny gas burners on propane stoves in this size category. I like the Breville a lot and it is indeed a plausible replacement for a home oven. I'm just not 'there' yet as it would necessitate running the generator for me. I know there are many on here that differ, but I just don't want to run a generator except when necessary.

Peter

That's the opposite setup of what you'll typically find, it's relatively easy to find a gas cooktop built into a single unit with an electric oven. Gas powered ovens are even more inefficient than gas powered cooktops. Electric ovens are significantly more efficient than gas and don't require venting like gas. I wish the Wynn's included some more detailed information like the amount of power actually used by their Breville. I doubt it runs at 100% duty cycle but without testing it directly it's impossible to know how much energy a one or two hour roasting session would consume.

When I redo the kitchen on my Uniflite I plan to put two burners of induction and something like the Breville for an oven. I'm currently using a portable countertop single burner induction cooktop and I love it.

...There is a good chance that I will be finding an east coast boat (electric galley & reverse cycle air conditioning and heat) and trying to turn her back into a west coast boat.

Salish Cruiser, I did just that...bought an east coast American Tug 34 in TX and had it trucked to PNW. Like you, I factored in the cost of shipping and converting for west coast cruising. Fortunately, our boat came with a near new NL generator, so my wife, who is an excellent boat cook, has opted to keep things as they are and use the electric range for cooking. Not an issue when connected to shore power, and when at anchor, we'll run the genny regardless to charge batteries and heat water. As back up, we have a single burner LP cooker that can get the job done without powering up the generator :) The boat came without an inverter so I'm installing a 2,000W unit for microwave and coffee.

About heat: To supplement the reverse-cycle heat pumps, I'm currently having installed a Wallas diesel heater. So far this winter I have found that the heat pumps produce a Huge amount of warm air, quickly heating the interior to 64 degrees, at which point they poop out. Once the Wallas is up and running, it will boost the heat another 5 degrees to a comply 69 degrees ;)) So when we have shore power I'll use the heat pump to get the chill out then let the Wallas take over for longer runs. Btw, a 15K Btu Wallas heater costs $4K plus a few days labor to install. Much cheaper than most hydronic systems!

Lastly, if you don't want the hassle and cost of replacing the generator, you should look into the EFOY fuel cell...
Good luck!

Nwboater, I find it quite curious that your reverse cycle heat produces lots of heat but poops out at 64 degrees. With our sea water temp at 36 degrees one of my units is still producing hot air of 42 degrees above any room temp. If we leave the heat off overnight the bedroom temp dips down into the low forties. It produces heat regardless of room temp, continuously, all day and all night if we choose. Our working unit is in down in our aft cabin. At night we keep it on fan speed #1. Last night with a low temp of 31 degrees, the bedroom was 64 degrees in the morning and the main cabin (rising hotter air) was 60 degrees.

Methinks something is not right with your unit, a thermostat setting perhaps. On heat mode, the fan should be set at the lower end of the scale. Setting it on high speed may cause the coils to ice up and restrict or stop sea water flow. When your unit stops working at 64 degrees, do you still have good water flow?
Salish Cruiser, I did just that...bought an east coast American Tug 34 in TX and had it trucked to PNW. Like you, I factored in the cost of shipping and converting for west coast cruising. Fortunately, our boat came with a near new NL generator, so my wife, who is an excellent boat cook, has opted to keep things as they are and use the electric range for cooking. Not an issue when connected to shore power, and when at anchor, we'll run the genny regardless to charge batteries and heat water. As back up, we have a single burner LP cooker that can get the job done without powering up the generator :) The boat came without an inverter so I'm installing a 2,000W unit for microwave and coffee.

About heat: To supplement the reverse-cycle heat pumps, I'm currently having installed a Wallas diesel heater. So far this winter I have found that the heat pumps produce a Huge amount of warm air, quickly heating the interior to 64 degrees, at which point they poop out. Once the Wallas is up and running, it will boost the heat another 5 degrees to a comply 69 degrees ;)) So when we have shore power I'll use the heat pump to get the chill out then let the Wallas take over for longer runs. Btw, a 15K Btu Wallas heater costs $4K plus a few days labor to install. Much cheaper than most hydronic systems!

Lastly, if you don't want the hassle and cost of replacing the generator, you should look into the EFOY fuel cell...
Good luck!

That's the opposite setup of what you'll typically find, it's relatively easy to find a gas cooktop built into a single unit with an electric oven. Gas powered ovens are even more inefficient than gas powered cooktops. Electric ovens are significantly more efficient than gas and don't require venting like gas. I wish the Wynn's included some more detailed information like the amount of power actually used by their Breville. I doubt it runs at 100% duty cycle but without testing it directly it's impossible to know how much energy a one or two hour roasting session would consume.

When I redo the kitchen on my Uniflite I plan to put two burners of induction and something like the Breville for an oven. I'm currently using a portable countertop single burner induction cooktop and I love it.
I've used a Breville for about 15 years (I'm on my second). It's really a great little oven. As a tip, the foil half sheet lasagna pans from Costco fit perfectly and they're cheap. Easy cleanup.

I just don't have enough real estate for solar panels sufficient to power batteries. I installed a generator as backup and for AC. Other than that, I don't want to hear it. Even though it's properly installed with gensep and sound shield.

Peter

NW boater, your/my NL 6KW is rated to 50amps!!! I had a tech come out today to check the generator.
That's better than 40amp shore power SMILE

Along time ago, I read about that fuel cell. Might be alternative to a generator???

I think that's exactly one of those situation where boat size becomes a problem. With a boat under 45 feet, you probably can't fit enough solar, batteries, etc. to handle significant electric baking without a generator. Once you're looking at something the size of Simi's boat, the equation changes. Space for batteries is much less of an issue, the weight of them is hardly a concern and you've got space for a large amount of solar. At that point, it's just down to spending enough money to make it work.

I do agree that boat size can provide a real practical limit. More and more compromises need to be made as boat size drops. It's a big variable depending on the boat size.

1400 watts of solar, like the Wynn's have, takes very very roughly 120sf of unobstructed real estate.

I have that space on top of the canvas that covers my Flying Bridge and my boat is officially a couple inches shy of 40'. We also plan to add shade for the Lido deck and that would add at least that much space again.

I've got room for plant of batteries too, partly because I don't have a generator.

Along time ago, I read about that fuel cell. Might be alternative to a generator???

I have an Efoy on my boat. There are three sizes, 80/140/210, the higher the number the more the amps put out. I have never read complaints about the product. In fact, I set out to buy a used one and my search began on Vancouver Island, then all of BC, then all of Canada, then all of North America, then all the world. I could never find a used one, people hang onto them. Then in an unexpected turn of events I went to a marine second hand joint in Sidney BC. While there the store owner and I got into a conversation about Efoy. He informed me he had two units coming out of a motorhome in Alberta. One is the 80 which I don't recommend. The only negative I have read about Efoy is that the 80 owners quickly realize it just doesn't have the oomph. But as a second back up to the other two, I think would work great.

The guy said the other one coming in was a 210. Without seeing it, I put a $1000 down immediately, this was the first used unit I knew of in two years of intensive searching. They are actually more popular in RV's and more popular in Europe.

The best way to understand how the fuel cell works is to imagine you have a barge with 57 flooded lead acid batteries (the barge has zero resistance in the water, hey this is phantasy, why not.) So your items that require power take the power from the batteries. You can use an Efoy with an inverter but Efoy recommends the 210 only for that job. And I think a 2000 watt limit.

The Efoy will not generate enough power to throttle up the big ticket items like your electric stove, jacuzzi, air conditioner, etc. I do use it with my smaller microwave (940 watts) as in the course of a day, 5 minutes is my daily average usage time. I do use it with a smaller two slot toaster using 1000 watts of power, again for about 5 minutes a day.

My battery bank is 6 firefly batteries at close to 700 amps of power. I also supplement with solar, great in the summer, not so great in PNW and coastal BC late fall/winter/early spring torrential periods with very thick clouds. This is when the Efoy is called in for duty the most.

So Efoy for the small stuff - tv, toaster, microwave, hair blower on medium - and generators for the big stuff. Think of Efoy has a solar cell system unaffected by daylight or night, that can charge roughly 8 amps per hour, 24 hours a day. But......

The canisters aren't cheap, I use about three per year and in Canadian dollars roughly $300. But this allows me greater flexibility in off season cruising and using more smaller electrical goodies. Realize in the summer, three things are charging my batteries, engine alternator, solar and Efoy. I only turn Efoy on if my batteries are really low, after days on the hook without moving.

Last edited:

Peter

Wifey B: And the 21st century replacement for the Breville is an Instant Pot. Amazing how little an oven is needed. :)

Wife B: We had an InstaPot aboard. Gave it away. We use our Breville almost every day. Can't bake bread or pizza or cookies or pies in an InstaPot or roast a chicken or a prime rib, etc. Each are distinct tools with their particular uses. We found very little utility in the InstaPot, certainly not enough to justify the space it consumes. Others do.
Wifey B: And the 21st century replacement for the Breville is an Instant Pot. Amazing how little an oven is needed. :)

Wife B: We had an InstaPot aboard. Gave it away. We use our Breville almost every day. Can't bake bread or pizza or cookies or pies in an InstaPot or roast a chicken or a prime rib, etc. Each are distinct tools with their particular uses. We found very little utility in the InstaPot, certainly not enough to justify the space it consumes. Others do.

First, you endorsed the InstaPot and now you tell us you gave it away in favor of the Breville oven?
Yes, I do have a confused look in my face.

By the way, I have a pressure cooker from the early 60s. I just need a burner to use it. About 10 years ago, I bought a new rubber sealing ring. It cost more than I paid for the pressure cooker. :facepalm:

First, you endorsed the InstaPot and now you tell us you gave it away in favor of the Breville oven?

By the way, I have a pressure cooker from the early 60s. I just need a burner to use it. About 10 years ago, I bought a new rubber sealing ring. It cost more than I paid for the pressure cooker. :facepalm:
Dan, I did not endorse the pot nor did I diss the pot. I merely said we found it of little use for US. In fact, I acknowledged the fact that others do find it useful. And, we did not give it away in favor of the Breville. We already had the Breville on board when we purchased the pot. In my humble opinion, a pressure cooker does nothing better than can't be done with "standard" pots and pans except cook some recipes faster. Since we would never consider eliminating any of our many other pots and fry pans, the InstaPot, for us, just took up a lot a valuable storage space. For others, the pot makes a lot of sense.

Dan, I did not endorse the pot nor did I diss the pot. I merely said we found it of little use for US. In fact, I acknowledged the fact that others do find it useful. And, we did not give it away in favor of the Breville. We already had the Breville on board when we purchased the pot. In my humble opinion, a pressure cooker does nothing better than can't be done with "standard" pots and pans except cook some recipes faster. Since we would never consider eliminating any of our many other pots and fry pans, the InstaPot, for us, just took up a lot a valuable storage space. For others, the pot makes a lot of sense.

As I understand, the InstaPit is an updated pressure cooker. I keep and use it because it is the biggest pot on board.

Tell me your likes and dislikes of the Breville microwave/convection oven, please? In comparison to the Force 10 oven in internal size. Have you discovered something you cannot make in the oven other than a 25# turkey?
Thanks

As I understand, the InstaPit is an updated pressure cooker. I keep and use it because it is the biggest pot on board.

Tell me your likes and dislikes of the Breville microwave/convection oven, please? In comparison to the Force 10 oven in internal size. Have you discovered something you cannot make in the oven other than a 25# turkey?
Thanks
Dan, a big turkey is the only thing one cannot do in a Breville. It is big enough to do bone-in prime rib roasts if that helps. The Breville Smart Oven that we have is not a microwave combo oven. It is strictly convection but does also have a fan to accelerate convection. I have yet to find anything I cannot do that I could do with a dirt house full-sized over except a turkey. Turkey? Just this past Sunday we roasted a Butterball turkey breast. Came out terrific. I suggest you go to the Breville website for more particulars. We like the Breville enough so that, when we get around to buying a dirt house, we will have one on the counter.

There is nothing I dislike about this product. I even ordered a custom-sized soapstone pizza stone for when it is too windy outdoors to use my pizza oven. As for how it compares in volume to the Force 10, I do not know. All I know is that we can do anything except a turkey. Will a Force 10 accommodate a 14# turkey? Perhaps. When bought our boat it came with a nearly useless Force 10 with coil burners. It went into the dumpster straightaway. We eventually installed a drop-in induction cooktop. Below the cooktop was converted to shelving and storage space, a big gain. The Breviile, powered by a dedicated cirvuit, sits on top of the cabinet housing the two 4.2 cf fidgerators.

Thanks

Pizza.jpeg

Dan, a big turkey is the only thing one cannot do in a Breville. It is big enough to do bone-in prime rib roasts if that helps. The Breville Smart Oven that we have is not a microwave combo oven. It is strictly convection but does also have a fan to accelerate convection. I have yet to find anything I cannot do that I could do with a dirt house full-sized over except a turkey. Turkey? Just this past Sunday we roasted a Butterball turkey breast. Came out terrific. I suggest you go to the Breville website for more particulars. We like the Breville enough so that, when we get around to buying a dirt house, we will have one on the counter.

There is nothing I dislike about this product. I even ordered a custom-sized soapstone pizza stone for when it is too windy outdoors to use my pizza oven. As for how it compares in volume to the Force 10, I do not know. All I know is that we can do anything except a turkey. Will a Force 10 accommodate a 14# turkey? Perhaps. When bought our boat it came with a nearly useless Force 10 with coil burners. It went into the dumpster straightaway. We eventually installed a drop-in induction cooktop. Below the cooktop was converted to shelving and storage space, a big gain. The Breviile, powered by a dedicated cirvuit, sits on top of the cabinet housing the two 4.2 cf fidgerators.

View attachment 113881

Alas, I am searching for the ultimate combination of Microwave/Convection oven that will slide into an existing hole. I know they are out there but, the search will take time.
I want a microwave to heat up the coffee or left overs and then use as a convection over to cook a roast or turkey breast and make cookies. I just gotta find it. LOL

Alas, I am searching for the ultimate combination of Microwave/Convection oven that will slide into an existing hole. I know they are out there but, the search will take time.
I want a microwave to heat up the coffee or left overs and then use as a convection over to cook a roast or turkey breast and make cookies. I just gotta find it. LOL

I've been doing that same search. For me, I've come down to the Samsung MC12J8035CT and the Panasonic NN-CD87KS (my more likely choice). The Pansonic will require me to widen the microwave hole in my cabinets a couple of inches (there's room to do it), the Samsung would need the trim kit modified (as I can't fit a 30" trim kit and that's the only size they sell).

If I had an unlimited budget, for an equal amount of microwave hole modification, I could fit the 24" Bosch 500 series combo (which is internally bigger at 1.6 cu ft instead of 1.2). But that's a $1700 microwave, so...

I've been doing that same search. For me, I've come down to the Samsung MC12J8035CT and the Panasonic NN-CD87KS (my more likely choice). The Pansonic will require me to widen the microwave hole in my cabinets a couple of inches (there's room to do it), the Samsung would need the trim kit modified (as I can't fit a 30" trim kit and that's the only size they sell).

If I had an unlimited budget, for an equal amount of microwave hole modification, I could fit the 24" Bosch 500 series combo (which is internally bigger at 1.6 cu ft instead of 1.2). But that's a $1700 microwave, so...

Thanks for the guidance. I have a 30amp boat. My goal it to replace the Force10 with a 2 burner induction glass top, put the convection/microwave in the hole under the cook top. The key is, operate as EITHER a microwave OR a convection oven. It would be nice if it could also broil.
One caution, check the max temp of the convection oven. Seems the 'world' likes 350f except for a pork roast and then it is 450? One or two I researched indicated a max temp of 200F for the convection oven.

I will reclaim the current microwave hole and make it cabinet. More space, more space. LOL Space/storage is always at a premium on a 34AT. I have squeezed out about every available space. Soon I will have to install a trailer hitch and tow even more space behind me. LOL

Last edited:
Thanks for the guidance. My goal it to replace the Force10 with a 2 burner glass top, put the convection/microwave in the hole under the cook top. The key is, operate as EITHER a microwave OR a convection oven.
I will reclaim the current microwave hole and make it cabinet. More space, more space. LOL Space/storage is always at a premium on a 34AT. I have squeezed out about every available space. Soon I will have to install a trailer hitch and tow even more space behind me. LOL

I just dug up a picture of my galley. Sounds like what you're planning is fairly similar. In my case, the space where the microwave sits is hollow to the left of the microwave to approximately an inch from the fridge, so I can widen the opening to have more options. I might need to add to the platform the microwave sits on though, as I can't remember if it extends past the left edge of the microwave hole and drawer.

Attachments

• PXL_20201008_124504159.jpg
    PXL_20201008_124504159.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 28
reliefkin, whatever we put in, make sure it is secure. SMILE

My Force 10 is a slide in unit containing the 3 burner stove and oven combination so I think I have more room to work with than you. 21" wide X 21" high and 19.5" deep.

I edited the original message to include "I have a 30amp boat" and a "2 burner induction glass cook top."

It would be nice to put 'sea rails' on the cook top.

Per the trim kit. A good stainless steel fabricator can make any size trim kit you desire.

Last edited:
The modern pressure cookers are amazing. There’s a whole cult of cruisers exchanging pressure cooker recipes. We got a small one (mom and pop cruisers) a Fissler from Germany and its the best thing ever. Strongly recommended.
Still not a induction fan. Have collected a bunch of pots/pans we like. Don’t want to re up. Still bake except when in the French islands. Their bread/croissant/ bake goods are better than what we know how to do.

Still bake except when in the French islands. Their bread/croissant/ bake goods are better than what we know how to do.[/QUOTE]

When in St. Raphael, France I was first in line most mornings for still warm croissants. Chocolate croissants for mid morning break. You are so right Hippo!

Rob

Ah yes, the InstaPot again. It is possible to make bread in it. Lots of choices.
They all start out with, 'dissolve the yeast....' But I dont have yeast onboard.
There is also a way to make bread in my 1960s era old fashion pressure cooker.

Last edited:
Still bake except when in the French islands. Their bread/croissant/ bake goods are better than what we know how to do.

When in St. Raphael, France I was first in line most mornings for still warm croissants. Chocolate croissants for mid morning break. You are so right Hippo!

Rob[/QUOTE]

This reminded me about a fine service at most German marinas we've stayed at over the years. Freshly baked bread and breakfast rolls delivered to the marina and, in many cases, directly to your boat each morning. Sometimes it's the marina that arranges this service and sometimes it's another company that simply gets permission from the marina to perform this service. A delightful concept.

"When in St. Raphael, France I was first in line most mornings for still warm croissants. Chocolate croissants for mid morning break"

Even running the loop going from the St L Seaway to Lake Champlain the canal has many public tie ups with in walking distance to eateries with fresh AM baked goods.

Some understand English , but pointing always works .

Cant beat making bread on the boat. I would guess it makes the boat smell 'yummy' and attract 'new and interesting' friends.

I remember parking outside a bread bakery just to smell the oder of the fresh baked bread.

There are many of bread baking molds, below is just 2 examples.

https://www.thegrommet.com/products...MI0sf-hu7S7gIVFCiGCh2w8g5_EAQYASABEgI8WvD_BwE

https://www.thegrommet.com/products/silikomart-silicone-mini-baking-mold

Of course there are bakers that make round bread but, the traditional shaped loaves make to traditional sandwich bread.

Last edited:
Truth, have the same problem. Good for cold nights

Wifey B: I have a Breville question as we owned one. How do you clean the inside, especially the top as on ours it really got greasy and dirty when we did prime rib and other things. It was really hard to get all the way in and do a good job. Maybe we missed some trick. :ermm:

We have 1600Ah house bank and 1400W of solar, so yes, we've gone full electric - full size 3-door house fridge, Induction cooktop, convection oven/microwave and electric grill in the cockpit. Now even a 5-6hp electric dinghy outboard and charging the 24V thruster/windlass bank directly from the 12V house bank.

We typically have excess solar power available during the summer, so I am working on a method to automatically switch to a 12V water heater element when the batteries are fully replenished.

That switch is easy to do with a Victron inverter.
We have the solar and once SOC is over 95% it will turn on the electric water heater on the excess solar

Wifey B: I have a Breville question as we owned one. How do you clean the inside, especially the top as on ours it really got greasy and dirty when we did prime rib and other things. It was really hard to get all the way in and do a good job. Maybe we missed some trick. :ermm:
Have you tried Easy Off oven cleaner? Wondering myself - after two years of heavy use in our outdoor kitchen, ours is looking a little rough.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom