Alternator Wiring Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diverrob

Vessel Name
Sounder
Vessel Make
Mainship 34T
Good day

I am asking this for a friend who is having an issue getting his boat to start after having his existing alternator converted to run with a Balmar ARS-5 regulator. For some reason after the shop finished the conversion and added the connectors for the new regulator there is a post on the back that is missing. In its original configuration this post had a hot wire connected to it from the starter power supply cable. From there somehow it fed power to his push to start button at the helm. Without this wire connected he can’t get the engine to turnover. We will be going back to the shop to ask if this was a simple error but I thought I would put it to the group in hopes of getting a quicker answer. Below are two pictures, one before modifications (the first pic) and one after the modification (second pic) in each pic I have labeled what each wire is in hopes of providing clarity. The wire that has the number 11 on it in the original picture is the one we can’t seem to figure out where to connect it to the newly modified alternator as the post it was attached to is no longer there. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated, thanks and happy New Year to everyone!

Attachments

• 20ED8BAD-A20A-4CD0-973A-FFC2FFFA1197.jpg
    20ED8BAD-A20A-4CD0-973A-FFC2FFFA1197.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 90CD7DC7-6855-416D-BE4A-3A987784C6FB.jpg
    90CD7DC7-6855-416D-BE4A-3A987784C6FB.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 49
When you turn on the ignition key, do the gauges come to life or are they dead?

Ted

When you turn on the ignition key, do the gauges come to life or are they dead?

Ted

I believe the gauges do come to life, at least the oil pressure alarm and glow plugs do for sure. I’m starting to think it’s an issue with the switch and not wiring as the spot where the post is missing says SEN on it so I’m thinking that was only a voltage sensing line for the internal regulator which is not required with the external ref as it has its own power/sensing line.

Typically there is a wire ftom the engine to the ignition switch with a fuse near the engine. Turning the switch on, powers the gauges and ignition on the engine. Off the key switch there is usually a wire to power the push to start button or alternatively there is a further position on the key switch to start the engine. Whether the start signal is push button or key switch, there will be a wire back to the start solenoid on the engine. Often there is a wire on the ignition to energize the voltage regulator for the alternator.

Hard to know what the #11 wire does without sleuthing. I would start by checking for voltage with a VOM to negative. They try it turning on the ignition. Usually the voltage gauge measures from the supply wire going to the key switch, but not always.

Ted

WAG.
I am remembering many years ago alternators needed an exciter wire to start the charging action. This wire came from the ignition switch via the starter circuit. Once engine starts there is no longer a need for this wire. Newer alt don't need this exciter wire.

WAG.
I am remembering many years ago alternators needed an exciter wire to start the charging action. This wire came from the ignition switch via the starter circuit. Once engine starts there is no longer a need for this wire. Newer alt don't need this exciter wire.

Yes you are correct and the purple wire in the picture does just this as well as supply power to the new external regulator.

Back
Top Bottom