American Tug 395

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john-o

Veteran Member
Has anyone cruised the Erie Canal in an American Tug 395?
I'm looking at the draft/3'5" and the air draft 14'4" and I
was wondering, starting off our Great Loop, would these
clearances be ok in the Erie Canal.
I'm looking at the Canal stats and they seem doable - but
a neighbor of mine says these vary based on time of year
and other things like runoff, rain shortages and even the
impacts of the Hudson and Great Lakes.. (whatever that means.)
We were originally looking at a totally different vessel - but
things have changed in that regard.
Thank you in advance...
By the way, a video on YouTube by a couple who have Tug hull #44 - an
American Tug 34' is outstanding. Their video is called Tug44.

Last edited:
We'll be leaving Boston, down to the Hudson, entering the canal and cruising westward to the Lakes. From their we'll do (attempt) the Loop. We've never been boating, so we're taking maritime courses, gathering all the books we can, talking to folks like you and others.
We were going to do the East Coast. But, off shore and blue water is a little over our head, plus the vessel needed to take on that venture.
My wife and I are in our seventies and we're both into a little comfort without breaking the bank.
The American Tug (made in the USA) looks like it fits our needs. In addition, we want to be with others of similar vessels, easy going lifestyle, and water that is user friendly for out age and lack of experience.
I will say this. This community on the forum and those that we've talked to about our venture, are some of the most informative and knowledgeable people that we've met. Also the lifestyle seems to fit our personality.
We're in the shopping phase of our American Tug, and that'll take some time, but we're patient. Thankfully, we live in Massachusetts were there are plenty of marinas within easy driving.
Again, my wife and I thank you for your response and suggestions. Very helpful.

Those clearances will be perfectly fine for the Erie Canal. Lowest bridge anywhere on the NY canal system is 15'6" at normal water levels. Draft for that boat is of no concern for the canals. I did the Eastern half and the Oswego Canal this summer (3'8" draft), lowest water I saw was somewhere right around 6 feet in a spot that was shoaling significantly (they were in the process of dredging). Everywhere else was deeper.

Target depth is 14 feet for the Eastern half of the Erie Canal and the Oswego Canal, 12 feet for the Western half, Cayuga-Seneca Canal, and Champlain Canal.

We need 18' clearance on our boat and no issue with the Erie, we even did the Champlain, as the lock tender told us those numbers published are more of the extreme conditions (heavy rain).

Stop in many of the towns, interesting seeing the history and in some cases the transformation.

We need 18' clearance on our boat and no issue with the Erie, we even did the Champlain, as the lock tender told us those numbers published are more of the extreme conditions (heavy rain).

Stop in many of the towns, interesting seeing the history and in some cases the transformation.

At 18 feet, the Eastern Erie and Oswego are do-able (both clear to 21 feet). Champlain can be done, but they have to lower the water in 1 section a little to get you under the lowest bridge (17 feet at normal water level). Western Erie Canal is an absolute no-go with 18 foot air draft.

FYI If you are planning on the Trent-Severn Waterway route to Georgian Bay lock passes and mooring permits are discounted if purchased prior to Mar 31.
If you are looking for any info, advice we cruised TSW and Georgian Bay last season and are familiar w NY Canals.

You didn’t state a date. This year the locks on the Illinois River are being closed for maintenance. The pools between are open but no way to traverse the area. That will be this years issue with the Great Loop

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom