Anchor Drag Alarm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhilPB

Guru
Vessel Name
Sun Dog
Vessel Make
Mainship 34
Trying to figure out which anchor drag alarm app is the easiest and best to use. Gps is on flybridge so that's no good. Figure an app may be the easiest to use. Tried searching but there are lots of choices.

I use Anchor Pro on my android phone. The only problem I have is remembering to hit the button when I start dropping the anchor.

Is that "Anchor Watch Pro", or is there an "Anchor Watch"? Seems to be quite a few different apps. I am on Android

Do you want the alarm for when you’re still on the boat or when you’re off it?

Whilst still on the boat then I have 3 options.

1) An external alarm from the upper GARMIN plotter
2) ActiveCaptain display to phone or tablet
3) Vesper AIS also has an anchor drag alarm function.

Whilst away from the boat I don’t currently have any system and would be interested in a few suggestions.

Anchor Watch Pro/ Alarm. There's a free app and a not free app for $5.99.

How does the app know your anchor dragged.
I use a geofence app, if set on top of anchor when dropped maybe will tell me if I leave the circle. But the app location is already away from the anchor the lenght of rode.
So I ask again how do you know the anchor dragged.

How does the app know your anchor dragged.
I use a geofence app, if set on top of anchor when dropped maybe will tell me if I leave the circle. But the app location is already away from the anchor the lenght of rode.
So I ask again how do you know the anchor dragged.

I guess when you are outside of the range ring.

I know on OpenCPN we drop an icon and hit track as I drop anchor
That leaves a nice curved mark for me to then adjust the range ring to.

Last edited:
On the Anchor Pro app that I use you set it when you start to drop the anchor. After letting out, for example, 200 feet of chain, you set the radius of the circle you want, for example, 275 feet. If you go outside of that radius the alarm goes off. You do need a cell phone signal and have location on your phone set to On.

I use a Furuno gp32 in my lower helm station for anchor watch watches and for logging total miles traveled. It used little power and is on continuous while out on the boat. I normally have it display lat/long if I ever needed it in an emergency

I am sold on Anchor Pro. I have it set up on my phone and my iPad. If I am going to stay on the boat, I just walk to the bow with my phone and set my location when the anchor drops. Then set the distance before the alarm goes off.

If I am going to leave the boat with my phone, I do the same at the time I drop the anchor with my iPad. You have the ability to set up the anchor alarm so it will send an email if the distance is exceeded and you can see this on your boat. You also in the Premium setting can set up a way to remotely control the app (using Telegram...I haven't bothered).

Bottom line, download on both your iPhone and your iPad depending on whether you are going to leave the boat or not. I have more than once had the alarm blaring in my pocket as I pulled away in the dingy.

Hope that helps. Try the free version first. It is stupid simple to use.

Aquamap has an anchor alarm. Seems to work well.

Alarms in installed electronics -- even with GPS on the flybridge -- usually function well enough. If the issue is about hearing an alarm when down below, I've read some folks have used baby monitors to relay the noise. We tend to NOT use installed electronics, though, to reduce power consumption at anchor (apps seem slightly better for this reason).

-Chris

I am sold on Anchor Pro. I have it set up on my phone and my iPad. If I am going to stay on the boat, I just walk to the bow with my phone and set my location when the anchor drops. Then set the distance before the alarm goes off.

If I am going to leave the boat with my phone, I do the same at the time I drop the anchor with my iPad. You have the ability to set up the anchor alarm so it will send an email if the distance is exceeded and you can see this on your boat. You also in the Premium setting can set up a way to remotely control the app (using Telegram...I haven't bothered).

Bottom line, download on both your iPhone and your iPad depending on whether you are going to leave the boat or not. I have more than once had the alarm blaring in my pocket as I pulled away in the dingy.

Anchor Pro is an IOS app but can't find app with that name for Android, which is what I use. The closest I find is Anchor Watch/Pro. Not sure if they are the same app.

I’ve been using Anchor since my fav was discontinued. I find it easy to use and adjust and it’s free. Apple Store has it.

Great point. I learned the first time I was in my tender and wondering what that police siren sound blaring was - was the anchor pro app telling me I was dragging!

I use Anchor Alarm Pro. In the App Store it has a large yellow anchor in front of an orange red sunset with a red stripe in upper left corner that says Pro in yellow letters.
I leave it on the dash in the wheel house plugged in at night and connected to a blue tooth speaker. You can set your radius circle based on how much chain is out. Also if you have internet connection it will show where other boats have anchored in a particular anchorage.

Anchor Pro is an IOS app but can't find app with that name for Android, which is what I use. The closest I find is Anchor Watch/Pro. Not sure if they are the same app.
Anchor Watch/Pro is the android app that I use.

I like Anchor! The pro model will text you if your boat drags. Screenshot_20230915-154552.jpg

I have been using an app call Anchor Lite on my android tablet and it seems to work well and us easy to use.

We use anchor pro as well and pay the $4.49/year subscription fee. My favourite feature is the anchor history.If you are like me, you get frustrated by your tablet slowing down, you go nuts and close everything, then realize you closed your anchor alarm app. No need to fear, anchor pro history to the rescue. Just locate your latest anchor and reset it.

I use a security app on phone which has the hardware stay on the boat for anchor alarm.
Gives me remote monitoring.
Anyone use the chartplotter anchor alarm?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom