Dragging Anchor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Curious if windy or GOV forecasted this 180 shift in wind or if it is a freak event.
Lately, forecasts are not similar to actuals on windy in gulf islands, climate change?
Maybe just coincidence, but I've noticed the weatherman seems wrong a lot more these days than I remember even a few years ago.

Final solution for dragging: I bought a cordless angle grinder with cut-off wheel. Clip a fender(s) to my all chain rode, cut chain and come back later to retrieve. I have a dual anchor set-up. My rode is bolted in the chain locker. Most people setup their all chain rode with the last section, leading to the locker, with rope, so they can cut and run (maybe this was where that expression came from?).

I bet if you asked @NomadWilly he'd say (and I do too) that the best solution would be 3 feet of 1" stud link chain attached to your anchor as a leader. I'd even bet that in a hurricane the first link attached to the anchor would remain perfectly horizontal.
Very intriguing. How would you connect the leader of stud link chain to the rode?

Most likely would need 2 or 3 shackles to reduce the 1" link down to (say) 3/8" chain.

I used a similar strategy on my little boat in the Persian Gulf. It was a 20ft panga, and I had a 22 lb Danforth, with 3ft of 3/8" then my polypropylene rope rode. I needed it to float because of all the sharp limestone on the bottom. This setup worked very well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom