Any Sales on Honda Generators?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Still Boating

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1-Off
Hi all;

I have read all the posts in the forums's history about generators, carbon monoxide, noise, wiring, grounds, bonding, portables, cooling, on-board, and solar, etc. so I don't want to start a thread repeating this good info already eloquently discussed elsewhere.

For my application I decided on a 1000i or 2200i Honda.

Do these things ever come on sale in Canada or are the dealers locked into the
MSRP?

We've been using a 2000i for the last 15 years.

1) I would get the biggest generator I could fit. Take a look at the 3200. It is very close to the 3000 in output, however the run time and form factor (SIZE) are very, very similar to the 2200i. Being able to run the water heater and battery charger at the same time reduces total run time. I don't like being a slave to the generator.

2) I can't speak for Canada, but I've never seen a Honda Generator on sale in the US.

partial quote:
1) I would get the biggest generator I could fit. Being able to run the water heater and battery charger at the same time reduces total run time.

According to the Rolls/Surette battery manual, I should not charge my bank at over 50A when in the bulk phase of charging. That's on the edge for a 1000i. A larger generator's capacity would not be used by the charger. I don't have an electric water heater.

Thanks for the sale info! We'll see if anyone else had better luck! :)

Last edited:
According to the Rolls/Surette battery manual, I should not charge my bank at over 50A when in the bulk phase of charging. That's on the edge for a 1000i. A larger generator's capacity would not be used by the charger. I don't have an electric water heater.

Thanks for the sale info! We'll see if anyone else had better luck! :)

If you have an inverter, they often have a battery charger built in. Most are programmable allowing you to limit the maximum bulk charge rate.

Ted

Never saw any sale on Honda generators. Got my Yamaha on sale but only 100$ less than listed price.
Based on my experience I would look at the 2200W Hyundai model sold at Princess Auto, pretty much the same as the Yamaha & the Honda for less than 900$ and sometimes on sale.

Anyway being Honda, Yamaha or Hyundai, engine architecture, performance, maintenance and provided features are the same.

just my 2 cents.

L

If you have an inverter, they often have a battery charger built in. Most are programmable allowing you to limit the maximum bulk charge rate.

Ted

True for my charger too. It would only be required for a for a 1000i, at the expense of longer running times. psneeld (07-30-2022, 05:57 AM) has been successful with what I assume is the non-inverter 1000 model, but I don't know if the 1000i will do it. As it is, charging a 475 AH bank at 50 amps bulk and the long absorption times associated is a long time and I don't want to make it worse.

True for my charger too. It would only be required for a for a 1000i, at the expense of longer running times. psneeld (07-30-2022, 05:57 AM) has been successful with what I assume is the non-inverter 1000 model, but I don't know if the 1000i will do it. As it is, charging a 475 AH bank at 50 amps bulk and the long absorption times associated is a long time and I don't want to make it worse.

I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding you. What difference does the size of the generator make if you're using it to power a battery charger? A side benefit of a larger inverter generator is reduced RPM (noise) for the same wattage output. Fuel consumption should be only very slightly more for the same wattage output.

Ted

What difference does the size of the generator make if you're using it to power a battery charger? A side benefit of a larger inverter generator is reduced RPM (noise) for the same wattage output.
Ted

It makes no difference electrically, as long as it's over the minimum required, but it costs more to buy and uses space I don't have a lot of if it's bigger. I agree on the noise/RPM issue, which is why I would prefer a 2200i. Indeed, the engine is twice the displacement so it will be at partial load and quieter. It costs twice as much though.

My Honda 1000 (now 24 years old) a few years back struggled with a 50A charger. If I turned the charger to 75%, no problem.

The Honda 1000s back then I think were only 750 watts continuous.

Do you have access to Northern Tool? Their Powerhouse generators are Honda knockoffs at half of the price. We use a 2000W in my construction company and it's yet to miss a beat.

My Honda EU2200 has been great and in 5 years has only needed pull cords replaced (a major take apart), the carb cleaned a few times, and a foot replaced (replace the bolts with SS and be ahead of the game). I bet it has 1,000+ hours on it.

BUT there are good knockoffs for half the price if you aren't going to use a lot. I have also see a fair number of used ones on ebay and Facebook marketplace etc.

I bet when a Honda EU2200 goes on "sale" it isn't worth a lot in the total picture.

Project Farm does a test of Honda vs cheaper generators
https://youtu.be/5n1sPy3Al6M?si=VY1AvNJEVbuD8zsL
I find the sine wave of the output and voltage drop / recovery under load interesting.

Big fan of Project Farm too!

I have a 2000w knock-off generator. Similar shortcomings as shown in video, primarily voltage drop. I bought it for power during storms here in Florida. Was surprised when it would shut-down trying to brew Keurig machine coffee. Cost savings of the generator evaporated when coffee-less.

Peter

I see you are in Canada so I dont know exactly how the info below applies. But ill just throw these out there for reference.

Northern Tool is the only place I can think of that you might get a discount. Currently they have the 2200i for $1199 and you get a $200 gift card back. Great if you need gas cans or other tools. I dont think they are in Canada though. But maybe you have friends or relatives in the US?

Lowes has it on sale now for $1199 and if you are a Lowes card holder you get another 5% off. It appears Lowes will not do my 10% off Military discount. Total is 1139.05

Home Depot sells it for $1299 but if you have a military discount or know someone it does seem to apply the 10% off for an out the door price of 1250.94

Both Home Depot and Lowes you can save up to $100 if you apply for a CC. Would have to check if Honda Gens apply though.

If you want to save you just have to do some research. But Honda gens are hard to find any meaningful discounts on. I have been looking myself. I should have bought several years ago when they were always less than $1000.

I have a Ryobi copy and would not really recommend it. When I purchase another it will likely be the new 3200 fuel injected. But I am watching to see if there are any issues.

The best place I've found to purchase generators is:

https://www.electricgeneratordepot.com/collections/inverter-generators

I bought two EU2000 generators from them probably 15 years ago. Price for the EU2200 is $1,199, free shipping, and I believe, no tax, but that may have changed. But you will need a US address, and then to get it home.

Another option is:

https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-...enerator-with-co-secure-technology-59135.html

From Harbor Freight. 2000 watts (1600 continuous), $599 plus tax, $6.99 shipping to US.

Has some better features than the Honda like better oil drain, instead of turning the Honda over to drain oil, and getting it everywhere, and it has a fuel shut-off valve which the Honda doesn't have.

I've owned two Honda EU2000's, and one Harbor Freight predator 2000 inverter generators, and if I needed another tomorrow, I'd buy the Harbor Freight!

We have an A-ipower 2400 watt, 1900 watt (while running) inverter/generator we bought at Costco going on 2 years. It’s been bullet proof so far. Costco has a similar model for $650 in CA and they deliver. With Costco’s warranty, it could be a good deal.

Going to throw this in there even though you didn't ask. We've bought a couple of Honda generators from Genconnexdirect.net. They buy Hondas by the truckload and convert them to propane. You'll lose some power since propane is not as energy dense as gasoline. You don't have to store and carry gasoline. The propane not only stores easier and more safely, but it does not go bad. Your generator can sit in a closet for ten years and will start on the first pull - not so with a gasoline generator.

Going to throw this in there even though you didn't ask. We've bought a couple of Honda generators from Genconnexdirect.net. They buy Hondas by the truckload and convert them to propane. You'll lose some power since propane is not as energy dense as gasoline. You don't have to store and carry gasoline. The propane not only stores easier and more safely, but it does not go bad. Your generator can sit in a closet for ten years and will start on the first pull - not so with a gasoline generator.

Sound like a good alternative to gas.

I had a Ryobi 2000 watt inverter/generator for 6 years with my old boat. It was $250 cheaper than the Honda. It always started on the 2nd or 3rd pull. Never had a problem with it! :dance:

In the cruising world I find it waaaaaay easier to find gas than I do propane.

Just saying.

That is certainly a consideration. On the sailboat I had a diesel main engine, 2 stroke gas dinghy motor, 4 stroke Harbor Freight Predator generator, and propane stove. So 4 different fuels. Storage was a bit of a pain.
Regarding the generator, I was very impressed with the Predator. I ran it side by side with a buddy's Honda, mine was just as quiet and seemed to be just as high quality. And a couple added features mentioned earlier. I bought it to replace a Honda 1000 that I wore out. It got to burning oil so bad it would only run an hour or so before the low oil cutout shut it down. I figured why should I pay twice the price if it's going to do that. I also bought the added warranty with it, the clerk said I could bring it back at two years and exchange for a new one, no questions asked and there didn't have to be anything wrong with the old one. I did that, she was right. I don't think you'd get that with a Honda. If I was going around the world I might spring for a Honda, but staying where there are Harbor Freight stores I'd stay with that one. My current boat has an Onan diesel generator so I let the portable go with the old boat, I probably shouldn't have done that. The starter on the Onan failed and it would have been nice to have a back up while waiting to get it rebuilt.

Last edited:

How long can you run the generator with a regular propane tank vs 20L gasoline jug? Seen bi energy generator but never tried propane so wondering.

Your statement about sitting off may not be totally right, if you maintain your generator properly no reason it will not start. Got a power outage 2 months ago and fired up one of my generator (and it was a cheap one I got for 400 bucks at walmart) that did not run for the last 5 or 6 years, started on second stroke.

L

You may want to consider the larger gen for future battery replacement. LFPs can handle larger amperage and quicker recharge than LA. When your Rolls-Surrettes are done at least you'll have that option if you plan now.

Just saw this, and wanted to add that I have never seen a sale price on any of the Honda generators mentioned here in Australia, either.

So, given that it's the end of the year, the accountants want to lower inventories by turning them to cash, the dealership needs to make distributor numbers, and the sales people need to make a sale before the end of the month when there is no dealership traffic, I thought I'd call all the Honda dealers within a reasonable distance.

When they realize I'm shopping on price between dealerships a few brought out their "in-store-specials" and dropped their price between $50 and $150 (CDN) on the EB2200i. Oddly enough that made them cheaper than the EU2200i, but you lose the 12v output and the capability of using a Companion to get the bonded neutral and the GFCI.

That's it! I bought one.

Thanks for the input guys!

One thing to add to your Honda: I suggest you buy an inline fuel shut off. Even using ethanol free gasoline (which of course you should) being able to drain/burn the last of the fuel will keep the carburetor gum-free.

Here's why you might not want to do that: my Yamaha 1000 comes with a fuel shut off valve. I flip the knob and four minutes later she stops running. It takes me either three or four pulls to get her running again. My friend doesn't (didnt?) use the fuel shut off until she had to get her carb cleaned. She had to pull her cord just twice, prior to humming up her carburetor.

Irene'sBluebellInCockpit.jpg

And, finally, I do not have the upper body strength many men have. For me UNLESS the Honda is warm, I cannot pull start a 2k version. I believe this is due to the compression requirements. Consider not only how strong you are today, but also look into the future a few years.

Frankly, I am looking forward to when the 1k and 2k's have an auxiliary starter.

Hondas are easy to add a fuel shut off but they already have one. The trick is to disable the switch behind the big on-off knob so that the engine shuts off by fuel shutoff, not by killing the ignition. Several YouTube videos show how to do it.

Just curious what success people are having with only occasional use of one of these Honda generators?

I have a 3000eu (I think that’s the model) and has NEVER worked when I have gone to use it. Not once. One problem is that the battery goes dead pretty quickly - on the order of weeks. And of course if left that way the battery is trash. It also requires a carb cleaning every time. I always put staybil in the gas, and the gas station claims the premium
Is ethanol free. Yet there is something about the Honda that causes the gas to go to crap where other motors are fine. I use the same gas in my chain saws and lawn tractor, and they always start and run fine. Always. I have left chainsaws for literally 10 years and a pull pulls and they pop right off. But not the Honda. Leave it for 9 months to a year and it will need a card rebuild. I think it’s utter crap.

Just curious what success people are having with only occasional use of one of these Honda generators?

I have a 3000eu (I think that’s the model) and has NEVER worked when I have gone to use it. Not once. One problem is that the battery goes dead pretty quickly - on the order of weeks. And of course if left that way the battery is trash. It also requires a carb cleaning every time. I always put staybil in the gas, and the gas station claims the premium
Is ethanol free. Yet there is something about the Honda that causes the gas to go to crap where other motors are fine. I use the same gas in my chain saws and lawn tractor, and they always start and run fine. Always. I have left chainsaws for literally 10 years and a pull pulls and they pop right off. But not the Honda. Leave it for 9 months to a year and it will need a card rebuild. I think it’s utter crap.

Carb gumming is a general issue with these small engines, whatever the brand. I have a Yamaha generator, my mother in law snowblower is a honda knockoff etc and for all these engine type carb cleaning is often required. On smaller engine like a chainsaw carb is different and it is a 2 stroke not 4 stokes.
To avoid this, each time you run it ensure to run it until carb is empty by shutting of gas and let it run until it stalls. Then open the carb bowl purge screw to empty the bowl and you are good to store it.
Another common problem with these type of engine is the carburator needle not sitting right so fuel is leaking. When keeping the bowl full, the floater keep the needle up closed and with time may slightly dent it and it does not sit well anymore. Result is fuel in oil or leaking through the air intake. That why it is a good practice to purge the bowl if you plan to store your generator for a while.

L

Been using a honda 2k and knockoff 2k for about 15 years. Got my first knockoff prior to the honda. Always had trouble starting it, but it would run great once started. This at the time was one of the only knockoffs being manufactured, it wasn't a japanese brand. Since then I have also gotten a super cheap, $79 1k harbor freight generator that I wanted as an emergency backup for my 2k generator. I took it when we were sailing from Bahamas back north; it made it back but barely. But I think there are a bunch of knockoffs today that are pretty good, ranging from brand names like Yamaha, which cost pretty much the same as the honda, down to store brand OEMs at 1/3 the price.

I am a big project farm advocate, his info is great, but if all you want the generator on the boat for is to connect to your charger, sinewave accuracy under load really isn't important. If you are plugging an AC motor into the generator, it is very important.

Also, I think if you can afford the price difference, I would spend the money and go for the 2k vs the 1k. The 2k is like a 'real North American' circuit, you get ~15A. The 2k is not much heavier. The 3k is much heavier.

I don't see why any 1k generator would have an issue with a 50A charger, that is only 600W at 12V. If you have a 24V bank, then yeah, it won't keep up.

AFAIK, all small engines will have their carbs 'gummed' up by gas you get at the station, even premium. Either put stabil in and change every 6 months, or do that and when you use the generator, as others here have said, run the carb dry. You can also get fuel wo ethanol at small airports as private prop planes won't put ethanol gas in. Home depot also sells ethanol free gas in small cans, though I think it is like 4x the cost per gal. But if you just need to fill your weed wacker once a week, not a bad way to go. The guy who sold me my outboard told me that he tells all his clients to change their gas on a monthly basis to prevent it killing the carb. Not sure if you put stabil in if you need to do it that frequently, but he is saying not to leave it very long.

I will never sleep with the generator on! I have seen some aftermarket addons that will take the exhaust with a pipe into the water. Possibly with that, if it was on my swim platform, I was on a mooring/anchor so I know I am facing into the wind, and I just tested my CO detectors I might consider it. But still probably not. Plus just not nice for others in the anchorage to listen to.

My 2c of using these portable generators for the past 15 years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom