Anyox bc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Courier 2

Good morning from anyox bc
Looking forward to the wealth of experience and knowledge members have

Welcome. Would be great to share your interest. What boat do you have or seeking. Cruising plans. Etc.

Canadas largest ghost town. What do you do there? Do tell us about your boat of course but also about the current status of the area.

My job here is shipping out slag from the old smelter. It’s a ghost town population 3 this winter

It’s a 30 ft aluminum twin diesel. I use it for transportation to and from site. I’m more interested in using it for cruising

Went to youtube to view the Anyox documentary. Fascinating. How much time do you spend there?

I’ve pretty much lived here for 3 years
Live on a barge in Granby bay just off slag pile .

I’ve pretty much lived here for 3 years
Live on a barge in Granby bay just off slag pile .

In the documentary the territory looked like good bear country.

Downtown anyox

Bears and boat

Attachments

• IMG_5570.jpg
    IMG_5570.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0251.jpg
    IMG_0251.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0324.jpg
    IMG_0324.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 44
It’s Argo from Burnaby bc
Former Alcan aluminum corp

Alcan is the parent co. that made the Alwest 37 which I had at one time. I do not know Argo. It does look like the Sea Villa 300 made by Alcan.
Argo I think is a separate company, found your boat on their site HERE

Former alcan crew boat with runs to kemano

Attachments

• IMG_1132.jpg
    IMG_1132.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 27
Courier, is Hyder AK to the north about your closest neighbor? I had never heard of Anyox.

By crow flys it only 40 miles
A lot more by boat
My closest tie up is kincolith 60 km away with road access

Anyox was a big deal from 1911 to 1935
Granby copper corp
Commonwealths largest producing copper mine and smelter

Good morning from anyox bc
Looking forward to the wealth of experience and knowledge members have

Welcome to the forum. You live and boat in a beautiful area. I lived in Kitsault about 15 miles west of you 52 years ago! I was there at the tail end of the first life of BC Molybdenum. In this era there was no road to the outside world, access was by boat or seaplane. The Northland Prince made a weekly trip from Vancouver, plus a flock of Grumman Geese based in Prince Rupert.

Mining in the area was pretty active, Granduc copper mine north of Stewart was active, and lots of exploration going on. Molybdenum prices shut the mine down in the summer of 1972.

I have dreamed of getting back to explore on our Willard, but time is against me now, so I would love to see some photos and narrative of what is going on in that area today.

Bill.

Courier: Welcome. Bing Maps shows there is a clearing up the hill and quite the dam up there. Is it a power producer? I'm guessing it is not on the grid. What are the plans for the site? Is the work just environmental remediation?

Having watched a documentary on the site, I now understand that the slag is utilized for industrial abrasives.
Interesting!

How's the prawning up there?

Jim

Last edited:
The best way is on YouTube
If you put anyox and Kitsault in a search
Lots comes up

The work here is more remediation
Removal of smelter slag for repurpose
Quite a small operation

There was plans a ways back to put hydro power back in service
Ran short of money and site c took priority over co gens