Are boat people the best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think it's necessarily boat people that are the best, but cruisers (power or sail). I think it's because it is a small world, and news travels fast. And that cruisers rely on one another when they are on the water. So it pays to treat others well because you may need help from them next.

I don't think it's necessarily boat people that are the best, but cruisers (power or sail). I think it's because it is a small world, and news travels fast. And that cruisers rely on one another when they are on the water. So it pays to treat others well because you may need help from them next.

I think the friendships form fast and hard because we’re all in the same boat (pun intended) so you don’t have to go through all the small talk you normally have to when establishing friends. Everyone gets it already. And yes you’re completely right about the interdependence.

Yup - Boaters are pretty friendly folks... In General

However, having been sometimes off and often times on the water for decades:

I've felt [experienced] a bit of distinction regarding fine-point "acceptability" betwixt various forms of boaters. And, I'm sure I too have been the do-to rather than the done-to "acceptability" factor impinger!

Sail Boaters like to associate with sail boaters

Power yachters usually associate with power yachters

Speed boaters with speed boaters

House boaters with house boaters

Down n' out boaters with down n' out boaters

Mega yacht boaters with mega yacht boaters

Super mega yacht boaters - with themselves! LOL

Much of the list above is simply due to "birds of a feather flock together". Each portion of the list contains boats with enough similarities of all sorts that the owners are sort of forced together due to their boat's capabilities... etc. But!!! There are some [luckily not too many] boat owners a bit snooty, too self possessed or down right bad apples that repel me from any communication or mingling. Bet that occasionally happens to you too!

Happy Boat-Person-Mingling Daze: - Art :speed boat: :D

There’s a difference between motorcyclists and bikers. Having had both HD, goldwings, beemers , Ktm’s, ducatis there’s a a large variance in activities and attitudes.
Go to a wingding, iron butt then Daytona or Sturgis and you’d see it. Still, there’s good and bad at each.
Have been struck there’s a association between bikes, and then cruising in sail or trawler.
Between golf and center console then sport fish then go fast cruisers used intermittently.
Different boats different folks

Yup - Boaters are pretty friendly folks... In General

However, having been sometimes off and often times on the water for decades:

I've felt [experienced] a bit of distinction regarding fine-point "acceptability" betwixt various forms of boaters. And, I'm sure I too have been the do-to rather than the done-to "acceptability" factor impinger!

Sail Boaters like to associate with sail boaters

Power yachters usually associate with power yachters

Speed boaters with speed boaters

House boaters with house boaters

Down n' out boaters with down n' out boaters

Mega yacht boaters with mega yacht boaters

Super mega yacht boaters - with themselves! LOL

Much of the list above is simply due to "birds of a feather flock together". Each portion of the list contains boats with enough similarities of all sorts that the owners are sort of forced together due to their boat's capabilities... etc. But!!! There are some [luckily not too many] boat owners a bit snooty, too self possessed or down right bad apples that repel me from any communication or mingling. Bet that occasionally happens to you too!

Happy Boat-Person-Mingling Daze: - Art :speed boat: :D

Art this is one of the things that concerns me about our cruising future. Having cruised full time on a sailboat for six years we don’t want to feel that we would be excluded from that community because we moved to power. I hope we find we’re still accepted.

It's all about attitude...on so many levels.

Art this is one of the things that concerns me about our cruising future. Having cruised full time on a sailboat for six years we don’t want to feel that we would be excluded from that community because we moved to power. I hope we find we’re still accepted.

Sort of like going to a pub... heavy drinkers sit together, light drinkers usually do to. Non drinkers don't often sit around too long. Birds of a feather type of thing.

That said... there's an exception to every rule.

Having been a sail boater for so long - you speak the lingo! That should help for acceptance in "sail" circles.

Don't forget that usually power boaters are good folks too. They'll love you as a rag lover that recently came to the "dark side"! - LOL

Enjoy your power boat comfort... they are nice craft to play with! Usually way simpler to generally deal with than a sail boat... and, surely able to get into skinnier waters as well as lower overheads.

Last edited:
Same here! Here’s a photo of my pre-sailing day’s ride. It was the most awesome piece of machinery I’ve ever handled although my husband swears his GSXR1000 was better LOL. It was without a doubt the hardest to let go of the things we sold to move into the boat, but we’d had a good run without serious injuries and I was getting a little old to go rip snorting around on the world’s fastest production motorcycle. So we moved onto our Tartan 42 and now onto our Kha Shing 40 at slo-mo. But of an adjustment that was!!

ZX-14.jpg

I sold my 2001 ZX9R in 2018, when I decided to start living aboard. It was a great and comfortable sport bike that I put 111,000 miles on. Went through 26 sets of tires on that thing...

I find that boat people and bike people are remarkably similar, but maybe I am just drawn to the same kind of people regardless of the setting.

Sold a KTM 990 adventurer, HD road glide, and airbag goldwing and well as the wife’s Virago. Once we were cruising they just sat in the garage. Rare occasions we were home walking by them was painful. Even now miss them. We’d be driving and wife says “now wouldn’t this be a great road on the bikes. Oh well….

Folk are more likely to be invited onto and into their boats than people walking passed your house.

We've never had a problem being accepted into other boating circles. Even the sail/power debate has always left common interests, for instance cruising grounds, marinas, etc. When we were boating in Hawaii for 3 years with a power boat, we were opened into the sailing community with open arms, even being voted in as an honorary sail boat!

Often times (not always) people I've known who don't feel welcomed by others, aren't WELCOMING to others.

Not saying I'm applying this to everyone . . . How many times do I have to say that?!?
Just something to consider . . .

Sold a KTM 990 adventurer, HD road glide, and airbag goldwing and well as the wife’s Virago. Once we were cruising they just sat in the garage. Rare occasions we were home walking by them was painful. Even now miss them. We’d be driving and wife says “now wouldn’t this be a great road on the bikes. Oh well….

My wife never rode, only as a passenger on my bike. Many great memories but there's a time and place for things, and it's ok to move on voluntarilly as we age. It's great to look back with fond memories, but for most, it's really not a sport for most of us after a certain age.

Took my wife’s dad when we did Sturgis and surrounds. He was 81 at the time with a defibrillator in his chest. I was road captain and totally delighted to have him on the ride. My only request was for him to ride last in line in case his defibrillator went off putting him down.
Best sailor I ever knew was the retired librarian for our town (Duxbury). Maybe 100lbs. soaking wet. Never ask a lady her age unless you’re her doc but think she was in her early 80s when she helped me get my boat back from Bermuda to Plymouth MA.
Yes we physically decline and need to make work arounds. But when there’s a will there’s a way.

I was road captain and totally delighted to have him on the ride. My only request was for him to ride last in line in case his defibrillator went off putting him down.

Is this a joke? I avoid any activity involving a ride captain at all cost but know plenty who do. The last person is always the sweep and one of the most capable participants whose job it is to keep an eye on and assist the less capable. But I guess “putting him down” in a veterinarian use of the phrase might work for some.

So we have a bunch of family on bikes. One person needs to lead. One person needs to be last. Historically he (my father in law) was always first. Rest of the order was never defined. We’d just line up then take off. So I thought it safest if we changed that and had him last given the situation. So we had a private conversation. He agreed and shared my concern. I used “road captain” as a short hand to describe the situation. Could give a rodents behind who was first.
Think you’re just a hyper critical kind of person. We had a wonderful time. It’s was his last major ride before he passed on. Remains a lovely memory for my wife and I. He glowed with delight the whole time as well. Won’t let your post degrade on those memories.
By down meant defibrillator goes off, he goes down, he takes out the bikes behind him. Both he and l love those people. Neither he or I wanted to take that risk. Where’s you head? How can you distort an act of love into a source of criticism. Btw he was a white plate rider. You could only hope to be as competent a rider as him.

Last edited:
If you hadn’t used road captain, which in group rides isn’t shorthand for anything but is a role and, if you’d have said he chose to be last, it would be a much different story.

Jeez, didn't mean to derail the thread into an argument. I was generalizing. I still stand by my point that there are some activities best left to younger people and it's ok to move on. Of course that doesn't mean every single person. You can point to the 100 y.o. marathon runner or weight lifter or whatever. I meant for most of us, not every individual on the planet. It's not just physical strength and ability but also quickness of reflexes that are needed in some situations. I'd also question the expectation that someone falling down in a group ride would take out the riders behind him. Shouldn't they be at a safe enough distance to avoid obstacles in the road including another biker?

First Mate and I retired in 2012.
We had already prepared by buying a boat share, followed by our own boat prior to retirement. We wound the racing down and the sailing up, but took part in both.
My last big gig was a trip to Wisconsin where the late Greg Comstock fixed me up with two Speedway meetings, one at Indianapolis - no, not the Brickyard! - and one at Springfield, the AMA Grand National Speedway Final.
Following weekend I achieved my ambition of riding in a Mile Dirt Track on the Springfield Mile. :)
The day we retired we had a private collection of 32 motorcycles, most Vintage or Classic. All but two have gone. First mate has a 1991 Kawasaki Zephyr and 'the Humph', so named by our dear late friend Simon.
It is a 1969/70 Husqvarna CR 250 Moto Cross chassis with a 500cc Triumph twin in it.
There is not enough money to buy that bike, it is very special.
I did 45 years non stop racing, 1963 to 2008. First Mate 26 years, but with a break to have the kids.
If our name is googled to do with motorcycle racing, she comes up before me!
I am very proud of her achievements. :thumb:

Wow jl. Good on you both. Have gone through ~20
Bikes. All great fun except a Bonnie I took cross country fighting Lucus prince of darkness all the way. Still like boating as it’s gotten more popular and there’s more non riders on the road it’s harder to get that freedom feeling.
Have found there’s no strong relationship between money spent and joy received. But there is for comfort. As we age that becomes more important for many.

Wow jl. Good on you both. Have gone through ~20
Bikes. All great fun except a Bonnie I took cross country fighting Lucus prince of darkness all the way. Still like boating as it’s gotten more popular and there’s more non riders on the road it’s harder to get that freedom feeling.
Have found there’s no strong relationship between money spent and joy received. But there is for comfort. As we age that becomes more important for many.

Quite so, especially the bit about money and joy.

I was handy with the spanners and at tuning. I found the enjoyment was inversly proportional to the cost!

My home tuned Suzuki 500 twin around the IOM TT course was very reliable and inexpensive compared to many big spenders with far faster but fragile rides.

My now late friend Derrick rode in the Manx GP eight times, finished twice.

I rode four times, finished three times.

He always had much faster kit, proper racing Norton or Yamaha's.

They could not hack six laps very often.

First Mates Triumph engine never broke in all the time she used it. The only failures were a frame chainstay break and a front brake that overheated so much it had smoke coming out of the airscoop!

Our youngest son and his partner are bikers, fixing their stuff keeps my hand in.

Got a starter motor on the bench right now from one of their rides, bad commutator, worn brushes.

Amazing how many sailors are or were motorcyclists.

Small world. I road raced for 9 years at the local and regional level on 750 superbikes and so on; sprints, 6 hours, and a 24 hour at Willow Springs. Later, was a founding partner in a track day biz for 16 years, that was a lot of fun! but haven't drug a knee puck for some time.

Got a big single out on a local go kart track with pals this summer, was fun to keep them honest with a "AARP" sticker on my rear fender!

Still have more bikes than shoes!

Attachments

• ALpir0502s.jpg
    ALpir0502s.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 22
Small world. I road raced for 9 years at the local and regional level on 750 superbikes and so on; sprints, 6 hours, and a 24 hour at Willow Springs. Later, was a founding partner in a track day biz for 16 years, that was a lot of fun! but haven't drug a knee puck for some time.

Got a big single out on a local go kart track with pals this summer, was fun to keep them honest with a "AARP" sticker on my rear fender!

Still have more bikes than shoes!

24 hours - Wow!

I thought my IOM races were long!

I very purposely kept away from racing and racing bikes once I decided to stop.

I still get offers to strut my stuff on good Classic bikes from time to time.

Its over for me, but I still miss it!

Adrenaline is a very powerful drug - and legal :thumb:

I have a lot of respect for riders with the skills and 'nards to race on your country lanes!

Re the 24 hour: I was on the same hour as Wes Cooley, early era Superbike champ, 9 and 3. We were chatting in the pits. He says "should be able to go faster at night cause the tires run cooler."

Yeah right Wes, maybe for you! Night racing was a primal scream.

Now, with boats, the humility lesson comes in places like Haro Straight, fog banks, anchor testing squalls at night.

Last edited:
Top guy's are special.
I spoke with a mechanic for Sports Motorcycles, the dealers who fixed the late great Mike Hailwood up with the 1978 TT winning Ducati 900.
After practice for the post TT Mallory Park F1 race he asked Hailwood if he wanted any changes made to the bike. Scratching round Mallory Parks 1 mile short circuit was nothing like riding the almost 38 mile TT lap.
Hailwood asked him to put a taller gear on and cut an inch off of the footrests!
Hailwoods toes were bleeding after practice - we used to feel for the track with our toes - and his boots were shredded.
I had to have a good set of boots for scrutineering, used the ones covered in black tape for races.
I once asked Mick Grant how he judged speed.
He said " After 150MPH the track gets bloody narrow! "
One of my mates was Freddie Spencers mechanic when he won the 500cc World Championship.
He said Freddie was very special on the bike.

Since this thread has veered off so far and there are numerous motorcycle posts, let me add that back in my Arizona days, I had a Yamaha 360 dirt bike and a Yamaha 650 road bike. From bikes to boats was a life-changer. YMMV - mine did :)

Not a biker but a motorcyclist. Did dirt at fishkill ny but found just riding more fun. Have had four hogs but with more interest in iron butt or dual track went through KTM 990, various beemers from Ks ,/5s to fundaro, goldwings, ducks, moto guzzi etc. understand the thrill of speed but did track on four wheels. Also understand the joy of competence and just feeling part of the machine and totally in the moment. Rather compete with myself than others. Think any activity like fly fishing,skiing, sailing, riding, whatever where there’s always room to improve, and space to learn more helps you grow. Just like different folks different boats think different folks different avocations. The only racing I miss is long distance sail. Totally pissed off my wife and partners but tried to never miss a Marion for several decades and often did the Newport on the off years. Found the need for brains, strength and endurance addictive. Same as long distance riding.

This is almost the same is when pilots take over a thread. :eek:

Personally I don't care....just curious how many secondary hobbies/careers can take over boating threads.

Just another feel good thread with no real question or answer that evolves.

Enjoy the camaraderie and enjoy the holidays. :thumb:

These days it’s good to have some “feel good”. ��

This is almost the same is when pilots take over a thread. :eek:

Personally I don't care....just curious how many secondary hobbies/careers can take over boating threads.

Just another feel good thread with no real question or answer that evolves.

Enjoy the camaraderie and enjoy the holidays. :thumb:

Well said! :thumb:

Happy Christmas and Merry 2022 New Year to ALL!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom