Are there really any bad boats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bad boats

All boats are both good & bad, it just depends on what you THINK you need & time, but remember, anything on a boat beats the hell out of going to work !! life is like a roll of toilet paper , the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!!

Greetings,
Mr. PB. Not a problem. In spite of the fact I really don't like Volvo engines (diesel) the gas engines may not have as bad a reputation. I also REALLY don't like stern drives.
That being said, IF I could find one in good enough shape I would be willing to overlook the possible negatives to own such a unique vessel. As I said, voluminous space in that length of boat.

In the Cargile Cutter's case, the Volvo in question was a diesel sterndrive, not gas.

What about that Cutwater that sank at anchor or the TT35 that those folks had so much trouble with? They may or may not have been bad designs, but they sure seem to have been bad boats when they were delivered to the customer.

TT35 fits in my small group of unethical builders and bad boats. I'm not as familiar with the Cutwater situation but if the builder didn't make things right, then I'd toss it in.

Just a note regarding our TT35: Some bad boats turn out good.

We’re the folks who shared the initial problems we encountered with ours. We spent the time and $$ to get the issues repaired and, yes, there were lots of them…some rather critical.

In the end, we got what we wanted: a trailerable, very comfortable, reliable liveaboard cruising boat with a shallow draft, powered with two outboards.

We spent 5 months of 2019 living aboard on the Tennessee River, then boated down to the Gulf and back home. There is always more to learn, but we have turned out to be very satisfied owners.

Cheers,
Hubby Dan

Sometime following WWII my father bought a Stainless Steel fishing boat. It lasted an awfully long time. The problem was that the S.S. was very thin. It was plenty strong but pretty thin. It was very noisy in rough water with a 10hp on it. The real problem was that all that bending and flexing caused the welds to begin to leak.

In the 60's there were not many, if any people who could weld Stainless Steel and the boat eventually leaked so badly we had to beach it.

pete

Greetings,
I would day there are not necessarily "bad" boats so much as "wrong" boats. Vessels that one might have that are unsuited for the tasks one wishes to accomplish. ..

McGregor siaboats come to mind. I had a 25' trailer sailor that worked well for my family, however it did have it's limitations as far as being strictly a protected water and fair weather sailer.
I also think of the waterballasted models, one of which was being used unballasted and capsized, sending it's guests into the drink. Of course, that was more of a case of not being used properly.

In a column I wrote for a popular boating magazine several years ago, I offered advice on what to look for in a well-built boat. The essence of the article was that there are entry-quality, mid-level and high-end vessel manufacturers. Many since that time have sunk or been absorbed by competitors. In the vast majority of cases, they're the first two.

A boat designed by a naval architect is likely to be of better design that one designed by a designer using a Computer Aided Design (CAD) software. On the latter, it'll be a "pretty" boat, but its seaworthiness may be questionable. What gauge of vinyl was used in the upholstery, and did they use stainless staples? High-grade resin? Hand-laid glass? How much chop? Steel back plates for deck hardware? Quality canvas? Marine-grade plywood? There's much to consider.

And don't forget about potential depreciation and re-saleability? Popular brands are typically easier to sell. And you will definitely become a seller one day. Think down the road. If you find a bargain now, then when it comes time to sell, someone else will want to find a bargain too.

Boats are obviously highly complex. Before laying down your money, I advise you to perform thorough due diligence, including hiring a reputable surveyor and marine mechanic. Ask questions. Inspect it very closely. Though it's nice if your experience is friendly and respectful, you're not there to make a friend.

How about the Vasa
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasa_(ship)
Cost = 5% of Sweden's GNP
Distance traveled < 1400 yards

I suspect a lot of bad boats do not get recognized as bad because many people put more effort in justifying bad choices than in trying to make good choices. Also the current owners want to talk sell their bad boats at the least possible loss.

Last edited:
Some bad boats were the Early Liberty Ships. Excerpt as follows:

“ Many early Liberty ships were affected by deck and hull cracks and indeed several were lost. About 1,200 ships suffered from cracks during the war (about 30% of all Liberty-class ships), and 3 were lost when the ship suddenly split in two.”

6cf4907b69b1738286905c614b2be7bcbd95d57f_large.jpg

Now that was a bad boat.

One could argue that all inboard/outboard boats built before 1980 were bad. Leaky bellows, bad solenoids, weak gears, rotten transoms and expensive parts.

Not to mention the engines, generally poorly converted 2 stroke outboards which lost 20% of their power to the I/O gearing.

pete

A boat designed by a naval architect is likely to be of better design that one designed by a designer using a Computer Aided Design (CAD) software. On the latter, it'll be a "pretty" boat, but its seaworthiness may be questionable. What gauge of vinyl was used in the upholstery, and did they use stainless staples? High-grade resin? Hand-laid glass? How much chop? Steel back plates for deck hardware? Quality canvas? Marine-grade plywood? There's much to consider.

I there’s a quote that has stuck with me over the years as it relates to what you say here:
“Some boats are built from the outside in. And some boats are built from the inside out”!!!
IOW, the marketing folks need to check certain boxes so the design the living spaces and then wrap it in fiberglass. OR...a proper hull is built and then it is filled with amenities.

One could argue that all inboard/outboard boats built before 1980 were bad. Leaky bellows, bad solenoids, weak gears, rotten transoms and expensive parts.

Not to mention the engines, generally poorly converted 2 stroke outboards which lost 20% of their power to the I/O gearing.

pete

It is amazing that we used to just think this era was normal while it was evolving.

I remember one outboard manufacturer’s demo was running their motor nonstop, for days?? I think. Was done on a boat circling the lake near their factory. Someone on this forum should also remember this with more detail. This was in the 50’s or 60’s.

It is amazing that we used to just think this era was normal while it was evolving.

I remember one outboard manufacturer’s demo was running their motor nonstop, for days?? I think. Was done on a boat circling the lake near their factory. Someone on this forum should also remember this with more detail. This was in the 50’s or 60’s.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us...eserves-its-heritage-with-a-return-to-lake-x/

Fourth paragraph. It was 1957 and 50000 miles.

John

We have a really great condition 1975 50 hp Johnson o/b on a really nice 1975 Crestliner runabout.

That engine is good on gas use and runs smooth in at all rpm. Have had it since 2010. Use it as tow behind, getabout tender for our Tollycraft tri cabin. Fast and comfortable!

Attachments

• DSCN1954.jpg
    DSCN1954.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 33
What about these boats? Hidden outboards instead of inboards?
https://www.deantonioyachts.com/

I like it... the general idea is great. Wish the website showed more about the outboards' location as well as many, many other powersource hook-up, fuel locations, controls and other needed incremental assistance factors.

I believe that new designs for "trawler" [and other design] boats could accommodate outboard engines.

Question I have; for the used inboard-engine boat market: Would it be possible to place outboards into positions that take over the actual position of worn out inboard engines? Rather than placing the outboards on transom extensions. I'm sure there would be a way to do this [for many but maybe not all boat designs]; albeit how expensive and how correctly functional it would be is something to contemplate. By placing the outboards in same location as the removed inboards would keep the boat in its generally same trim-weight need. In doing this many design problems are inherent.

I’d be more concerned with rot and deferred maintenance than most original designs. Having owned 4 bayliners, (often the target of internet know it alls) I’d buy another. Having owned a fantastic North American built trawler with rotten cabin sides, I can’t say the same.

Just a note regarding our TT35: Some bad boats turn out good.

We’re the folks who shared the initial problems we encountered with ours. We spent the time and $$ to get the issues repaired and, yes, there were lots of them…some rather critical.

In the end, we got what we wanted: a trailerable, very comfortable, reliable liveaboard cruising boat with a shallow draft, powered with two outboards.

We spent 5 months of 2019 living aboard on the Tennessee River, then boated down to the Gulf and back home. There is always more to learn, but we have turned out to be very satisfied owners.

Cheers,
Hubby Dan

They do when turned over to the two of you to straighten them out. Yes, you sure made lemonade out of a pebble of sand, not even a lemon. You were determined and ended up with what you intended to get.

So, did you fall in love with the Tennessee River?

They do when turned over to the two of you to straighten them out. Yes, you sure made lemonade out of a pebble of sand, not even a lemon. You were determined and ended up with what you intended to get.

So, did you fall in love with the Tennessee River?

BandB:

As a matter of fact, we did! We have many more places up there we want to explore by boat, like going all the way up the Little Tennessee.

How about you two, ever think about returning to live there?

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

At the NY Boat Show , the biggest crowds were at the Boston Whaler booth watching a 13ft hull cut in half , and being rowed and powered away.

At the NY Boat Show , the biggest crowds were at the Boston Whaler booth watching a 13ft hull cut in half , and being rowed and powered away.

Fred - I probably saw you there! We may have rubbed elbows!

My family was at every NY boat show from later 50's thru 60's. I purchased a 1961 13'3" Boston Whaler in 1964 with my savings from a few years work. Had an older Johnson 18 HP on her. By 65 had new 20 HP Johnson because the 18 wore out. Couple months after getting the 20 HP Johnson it was stolen [by a dock hand that disappeared]. Insurance covered it; then I put on a 1964 Johnson 40 HP.

Man do I have memories from that run of life! :dance: :speed boat:

BandB:

As a matter of fact, we did! We have many more places up there we want to explore by boat, like going all the way up the Little Tennessee.

How about you two, ever think about returning to live there?

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Live there, no. Second home there, we've thought about. Like a home on Lake Chickamauga with a small very fast boat. Or perhaps on Nickajack even. Doubt we will though. We just don't see spending that much time in any other place.

Would also like to take something up the Little TN and another river offshoot I can't think of at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom