Arrr Mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

von

Hello, I have a very long name so all my friends call me von.
I am here to learn, Everything.
I am looking for a shoal draft, single diesel, to full time live aboard. I will start with the loop but I want to go explore every navigable river, creek, lake, and canal in the eastern U.S. I have no need for speed. Some of my favorite days where going 6 to 12 Kts around the bay.
I have been looking at a Carver 32 Mariner. Not happy with two Chevy 350 gas engines.
Please, Advice, warnings, parses, Jokes? My intent is to anchor out as much as possible between city's and then maybe get a slip for a week, month and explore that city before moving on. I want to see America.
I have seen the west. Born and raised in San Francisco. I live in Colorado for know.

Excellent plan Von.
See America while you still can. A shoal draft single diesel sounds awesome. There was an edge stripped epoxied shoal draft in PassageMaker magazine back in the 90's that I listed after. I will try to look it up and post a link.

Keep us informed with lots of photos of the routes less taken in the Heartland.

DJ

You are clearly looking at diesel as a means of propulsion for this proposed adventure, and I concur with your gut feel on the issue. The simplest engine for your slow speed approach will be a naturally aspirated, slower turning diesel. I had a pair of them on a GB and now have a turbo-charged, high RPM model which takes a bit of a different approach to running and maintaining. As to draft shoal enough to allow all the exploring you have in mind, you are probably looking at around 3 feet or a tad more for a boat big enough to live on comfortably depending on how many people are to be aboard. A single engine with a prop protected by a keel/skeg will see you safer in and out of narrow waters you want to explore better than a pair of unprotected props.

Here is the link as promised: https://www.passagemaker.com/cruiser-reviews/belle-marie-the-skinny-water-queen
"super-shallow draft, airy cabins with lots of big opening windows, a big galley, and room for guests. Classic styling"
Dave Gerr design Ultra-Shoal Tunnel Driven Trawler
Screenshot 2024-07-05 12.32.32 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-07-05 12.34.19 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-07-05 1.11.15 PM.png

Here in PNW awaiting a diver to come and inspect and clean the hull so we can cruise to Desolation Sound from the Southernmost point on Puget Sound, I envy the potential of beaching a boat like this to do such routine maintenance.

Last edited:
Excellent plan Von.
See America while you still can. A shoal draft single diesel sounds awesome. There was an edge stripped epoxied shoal draft in PassageMaker magazine back in the 90's that I listed after. I will try to look it up and post a link.

Keep us informed with lots of photos of the routes less taken in the Heartland.

DJ
Thank you DJ. I have been looking at some of the more boat like houseboats such as a Gibson. 42ft with a draft of 28". Unfortunately the majority of such boats where built with twin 454's. Must take 10 gallons of fuel just to pull away from the dock. LOL
I will have the funds the end of this year. In the mean time I am downsizing. Getting rid of everything I do not need on a boat. It is amazing how much I have accumulated over the years. Lots of things I have not even looked at in the past 20 years.

Considering your stated purpose I would recommend something smaller and trailerable like a C-Dory, Rosborough 246 or one of the Ranger Tugs. If you're set on a houseboat look for something smaller with an outboard. The new 4 strokes are quite reliable, fuel efficient and easy to maintain. Avoid inboard gas engines, especially I/Os. If you're set on a larger boat look for a single diesel, full keel boat with a protected prop. Something like a Mainship Pilot 30 or a Cape Dory 28 can be had without breaking the bank. It's important to remember, buying the boat is the cheap part. The cost to maintain a boat increases exponentially with every additional foot.

Another thing to consider is insurance. Older boats can be harder to get coverage for & you'll need it at some marinas. Before you pull the trigger make some calls.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom