Asbestos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JRC

Vessel Name
Belenos
Vessel Make
Puget Sound 34
Our (new to us) 1978 CHB Puget Sound 34 has white fibrous tiles under the sole over the engines. I don't know if these were original equipment or if they were added later. Has anyone else come across these and, the big question, does anyone know if they contain asbestos... or not?

Attachments

• CHB_engine_room_tiles.jpg
    CHB_engine_room_tiles.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 51
Maybe just assume they do and remove them, taking respiratory care when doing so. Then get some aluminum covered sound deadening sections and put in their place. Your ER will look better, be brighter and give you peace of mind.

The only way to know one way or the other is to have the stuff tested.
In cities, towns of any size there is usually a lab present close by for testing.
I just used google and came up with a couple of names. You should be able to find a lab by google and then a phone call about how to send in a sample.

Your photo shows some damage so if the tiles do contain asbestos then it is likely loose in the boat. At work some years ago we had asbestos drain pipes for rainwater runoff.
We were told as long as they were not damaged they were of no concern. We covered them to ensure they did not suffer any damage.

As Sunchaser suggested replace it with the product from
Soundown and protect yourselves.

https://soundown.com/marine-noise-control/

Last edited:
Get it tested... that sounds like excellent advice. Thank you sunchaser and C electric, that is what I shall do. I'll post the results when I have them.

Before you go and get it tested, you should find out what is required by the authorities should it test positive for asbestos.

The testing agency may well tell the authorities the results.

Once you understand what you are up against to properly complete the removal and disposal, you may decide to leave them in place and cover them over with a resilient covering.

Before you go and get it tested, you should find out what is required by the authorities should it test positive for asbestos.

Once you understand what you are up against to properly complete the removal and disposal, you may decide to leave them in place and cover them over with a resilient covering.
Or simply do a DIY removal / disposal using all the right procedures as if they are but skip the testing. How they are attached and how easy / difficult to remove SAFELY would influence my if they were mine to contend with.

If it is asbestos then use PPE, spray them liberally with water to keep the dust down and have a heavy duty plastic bag close and ready to accept the tiles. Try to get them off gently so as not to break them. Then wipe the area with wet rags and throw the rags away with the tiles. Probably you would be required to dump them at an approved site. Or just cover them with something that isn’t going to let any asbestos get through it and leave them in place. Maybe a plastic layer and then some kind of cosmetic covering that will protect the plastic and be durable.

I've had asbestos testing done by several various labs probably a dozen times and not one has ever reported a positive test report to the authorities.

The amount of churn it would create if you reported every single personally tested sample would be pretty huge. I would definitely get it tested and see if it is asbestos. Its a hecl of a lot easier to deal with if you get lucky and its not.

If it is, its going to be a bit involved to contain particularly since i assume theres intake and exhaust fans in the engine room swirling stuff around. If you are particularly concerned you can do ambient air sampling to test for particles that have been released into the air.

Disposal requirements for Asbestos Containing Materials (ACM) varies quite a bit by location. Make sure you check your local regulations before you throw it in the dump.

I highly doubt you will test positive for Asbestos. Still it’s your health at risk not mine.

I have never seen any of these tiles on Taiwan built boats testing positive for asbestos. However, there could always be a first time.

Agree that it isn’t likely but you want to be sure. I can remember buying rolls of asbestos to insulate furnace ducts in one of our houses. We didn’t know better and obviously didn’t take any precautions. I had a friend that died from asbestos poisoning. He worked with it for many years.

These look like ordinary acoustic tiles, usually used on ceilings. They are on ceilings of most rooms in schools, colleges, and hospitals. The material is called celotex.

Celotext is made from the waste of sugar cane. No asbestos.

Unless you plan to ‘disturb’ it, paint it white and forget it.
Don’t open that can of worms.

I have those on my 1988 Fu Hwa Taiwanese Tub, while I have not had them tested, I agree with rpackard, they are common ceiling tiles that were popular back then. I always thought they were some sort of pressed cellulose product. Mine were not damaged, so I just painted them with 2 coats of Tremco gloss white, really brightened up the engine room.
Also, I've learned that in building construction anyhow, the engineers will often determine that the best course of action is to either leave suspected asbestos alone, or coat it. The risks and costs associated with removal are thought to outweigh the benefits.

We have had several acoustical tiles tested in older trawlers. We sent samples to labs found online; costs vary widely. Some tiles contained asbestos, some did not. We've never received a follow-up from local authorities. Removal and disposal of non-asbestos waste is much easier than safely dealing with asbestos so I would suggest testing first. And a thorough cleaning of the entire boat as per safety guidelines since your picture shows friable material. A HEPA vacuum is a must. Good luck!

Unless you plan to ‘disturb’ it, paint it white and forget it.
Don’t open that can of worms.

I agree you could get into more than you intended. If it is not chipping or flaking then get some sealing paint such as "Kills", and give it several coats. Then leave it in place. :ermm:

But the photos show tiles that are chipping and falling apart. I would get them tested. Better to know than not. Especially with asbestos.

But the photos show tiles that are chipping and falling apart. I would get them tested. Better to know than not. Especially with asbestos.

My mistake I didn't see the first photo. :facepalm:

He has to plan on testing and environmental clean up. It is not worth the risk to ignore the problems :dance:

Yes, when I looked at the photos they look to be in rough shape. If they are asbestos then they are definitely putting some into the air. Hopefully they won’t be asbestos but without testing he will be just guessing.

Probably not asbestos on a boat as new as yours. But maybe..

pete

Celotext is made from the waste of sugar cane. No asbestos.

From the link
Here are some major companies that manufactured asbestos ceiling materials:

Armstrong Corporation
Celotex

Conwed
Owens Corning
Flintkote Corporation
Company
National Gypsum
United States Gypsum
Affa Tile Company

The regulation in RI is that a homeowner (boat owner) can remove the material, double wrap it 6mil polyethylene sheet, seal in duct tape and dispose of it in a landfill. Asbestos is not leach-able as lead is, so filtration to a water aquifer is not a concern. Asbestos is only a concern when air borne, so definitely take respiratory precautions.

The regulation in RI is that a homeowner (boat owner) can remove the material, double wrap it 6mil polyethylene sheet, seal in duct tape and dispose of it in a landfill. Asbestos is not leach-able as lead is, so filtration to a water aquifer is not a concern. Asbestos is only a concern when air borne, so definitely take respiratory precautions.

Asbestos is a naturally occurring "rock" so putting it in a land fill does not seem unreasonable.

Looks like test kits are widely available for under $25.
Amazon, Walmart ....

Action

Thank you to everyone for your comments and advice. I sent a sample off for testing and have just received the results - "No Asbestos Detected in Sample". Phew!

But well worth the expenditure for peace of mind.

Thank you to everyone for your comments and advice. I sent a sample off for testing and have just received the results - "No Asbestos Detected in Sample". Phew!

But well worth the expenditure for peace of mind.

Fantastic news. Thanks :thumb:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom