ASD 2019 Alaska Cruise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did Clarence moderate a little for you as you travelled down? Be sure to call Al when you're in Ketch. I bet he'll bring something cold down to your boat, with the familiar letters AA.:thumb:

Ernest Sound was rougher than Clearance. Worked out great!!

Don't forget that Richard on Dauntless is in K town as well..........:thumb:

I didn't know that. I will send him an email. Thanks

Ignorant question, but isn’t the NOAA information based on real observations and buoys and Windy is forecast?

Yes.
Windy and all other GUI depictions are based on the numeral forecasts, which the NWS uses also, but the marine forecasts are hand massaged.

Did Clarence moderate a little for you as you travelled down? Be sure to call Al when you're in Ketch. I bet he'll bring something cold down to your boat, with the familiar letters AA.:thumb:
We called Al and he is a bit under the weather. Get feeling better Al!!!

If you connect with Al, he's fond of a Philippine cafe just south of the cruise ship docks. He's taken us there a couple times. You may be able to twist his arm to go there...it's good.

If you connect with Al, he's fond of a Philippine cafe just south of the cruise ship docks. He's taken us there a couple times. You may be able to twist his arm to go there...it's good.
Thanks Ken. Still have an AA in the frig for you. John didn't see it.

You too!? I'm beginning to think he gets kickback.

You too!? I'm beginning to think he gets kickback.

MMMMM

Interesting analysis. Do you think they supply him with the AA too?:eek::eek:

Hoonah to K-Town

This is just one day! Look at the blog for the entire story and more pics.

The 22nd of July will be one of the best days EVER!! I beat Kay fishing!! We left Taku to Portage Harbor. Looking at time, it was clear we needed to start heading south for some maintenance on ASD’s heater system. Along the way we stopped at 5 finger Islands for halibut. I quickly landed a 35lb halibut. Finally. Then a smaller Butt was on the deck floor. The day was warm and seas were glass. Humpback whales were everywhere. Then as I was lowering my bait to the bottom, BOOM! The pole bent right over. Holy Cow, I have a big fish. As I was fighting, the pole was shaking hard. Then the tip of the pole went straight down, Hard! Crap. A whale surfaced right behind the boat!! Kay and I starred at each other. Holy crap that is a BIG fish!! It started to take line; I couldn’t stop it. The whale swam on and the line was still stripping but in a different direction! Maybe I still have the fish, the halibut. I tighten down the drag. No good still stripping line. The pow! The line broke. Then a sea lion surfaced behind the boat with my halibut, smashing it on the water to split it up! It was a big fish, but now the Sea Lion has it! Hope you bite the hook you thief from the depths I shouted!

After fishing for a while longer we gave up as the dang sea lion kept hanging around the boat, so we went to Portage Bay. On our way we got a radio message from another boat. They asked us to take our trained sea lion back as it had taken their halibut!! I chuckled.

Attachments

• IMG_5971.jpg
    IMG_5971.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6093.jpg
    IMG_6093.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6097.jpg
    IMG_6097.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6101.jpg
    IMG_6101.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6092.jpg
    IMG_6092.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6392.jpg
    IMG_6392.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6477.jpg
    IMG_6477.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 42
I dunno, in all those photos Kay is holding the fish. You got one stinkin' crab to show for all the fishing and crabbing.

Now, Tom, I'm certainly not doubting your word, but I still haven't seen any pics of you holding fish you caught.

I dunno, in all those photos Kay is holding the fish. You got one stinkin' crab to show for all the fishing and crabbing.

Now, Tom, I'm certainly not doubting your word, but I still haven't seen any pics of you holding fish you caught.
Well I will be posting a new segment when we get to Port McNeill. Then I will show you a nice Chinook. Just 1 fish, but it was bigger than Kay's

Well we are Nanoose and have a little signal. Been a hard week as I bruised my right ribs when a wake hit our dinghy while fishing. So we stated in Lagoon Cove a little longer than we wanted too. I can finally take a deep breath without crying.

We will drop down to Montague Harbor for a few days to meet some good friends.

From there we will need to go to Friday Harbor, then through the Ballard Locks to Miller and Miller ship yard to get our new heating/AC unit fixed. It quit half way though our trip. Will share more as the signal gets better.

Has anyone had any experience with Shilshole Bay Marina? Do I need to call to reserve for a day or two before we go through the locks?

I'm in Clam Bay, Thetis Island today, Montague tomorrow (Sunday). Will I see you there?

I spoke to Shilshole last week about arriving tomorrow. They said I could reserve if I wanted to, but they would have room for me reservation or not. They were my plan B, so I did not reserve.

Tom & Kay,

Please give our best regards to Chris and Bridgett! Good people.

Hope the ribs are healing up a bit more.

Cheers

Tom, sorry to hear about the ribs. Not much more painful than busted up ribs. But the bright side is that they only hurt when you breathe.

I tried to upload a few pics, but the data connection sucks here.:confused:

Tom, what's going on with your heating/AC system? Out of curiosity, what brand is it?

Tom, what's going on with your heating/AC system? Out of curiosity, what brand is it?
It was the original Cruise Air 31 years old. It was replaced by a Domatic which is supoosed to be a direct replacement. Ran great from November to April. Still under warrenty.

Since you and Kay live aboard at you dock, this is the system that you use throughout the winter?

Since you and Kay live aboard at you dock, this is the system that you use throughout the winter?
Yes until the water temp teaches 40f. Then we switch to electric heaters. This only lasts maybe 4 weeks.

Tom, either you or Crusty asked for a photo of Sailor. I don't remember who it was and I'm too lazy to go back through the threads to find out. So, here's a video of my newest family member doing his favorite activity: chasing sprinklers.

https://youtu.be/XerkG11UL-E

I must admit that he and I are going to have a serious chat about his desire to dig holes in his attacks.

Tom, either you or Crusty asked for a photo of Sailor. I don't remember who it was and I'm too lazy to go back through the threads to find out. So, here's a video of my newest family member doing his favorite activity: chasing sprinklers.

https://youtu.be/XerkG11UL-E

I must admit that he and I are going to have a serious chat about his desire to dig holes in his attacks.

Actually, it was Patche’s who was wondering if it Sailor was getting fat. I have learned to understand dog lingo, dont ya know!

Almost the end of our 2019 Trip

We are currently in Friday Harbor. Boy is it noisy here and lots of traffic. We will be heading to Seattle to have our Heating/AC unit worked on. The new one. Never been through the Ballard locks so that will be interesting. We were advised not to do the locks on a Sunday or end of a holiday.

We made a reservation at Shilshole Bay Marina. WOW! This is by far the most expensive moorage at $108 a night.

Updated our Blog.

Sorry Ken E., AlaskaProf showed up and had the very last AA......:eek::facepalm:

Attachments

• IMG_7059.jpg
    IMG_7059.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
A few more pics

Attachments

• IMG_6632.jpg
    IMG_6632.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6639.jpg
    IMG_6639.jpg