Attempted Piracy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slowgoesit

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Muirgen
Vessel Make
50' Beebe Passagemaker
As some of you may be aware, Laura and I, aboard MV Muirgen are finishing up our voyage from the PNW, down the West Coast, through the Panama Canal, and now across the Caribbean Sea, enroute to Florida. The following incident occurred several hours ago, and I thought it important enough to share with members on TF.

Location: Caribbean Sea, enroute from San Blas Islands, Panama to Florida.

When/Where: 20 April 2024, 1830 cst. Vicinity of Thunder Knoll, (Lat/Long: 16.21.197N, 81.26.630W) , approximate 175 nm SSW of Grand Caymans, and 140 nm off the coast from Nicaragua/Honduras border.

Description of events: We were heading 319 degrees true, enroute to Yucatan Channel, 8.2 kts SOG.

We were on a course to pass East of Thunder Knoll by about 5 nm.

We observed a vessel on radar in the vicinity of Thunder Knoll (Lat/Long: 16.21.197N, 18.26.630W), heading 225 degrees true, 0.9 kts to 2.4 kts SOG. Vessel was a 50’ to 65’ fishing vessel, white hull, beige superstructure.

As we approached to within about 1.8 nm of the vessel, the vessel changed course to 020, and increased speed to 8.5 kts.

On the radar, the vectors appeared to indicate we were on an interception course.

We turned right 20 degrees to 340 degrees, the vessel turned right to roughly 040, still on an interception course according to the radar. We turned further right 75 degrees, to 055 degrees.

The vessel turned right to about 050, which now placed him in our port quarter.

We increased our speed over ground to 8.8 kts, monitoring RPM and EGT. We weren’t maxed out yet, but close to it.

It was getting dark, and we turned off our NAV lights, and AIS. The other vessel was silhouetted in the sunset on the Western horizon. We were due East of the other vessel, against the darkening horizon.

After about 25 minutes, with several additional course changes which the other vessel mimicked, we had opened the range to about 2.3 nm (from 1.8 nm). At that point, the vessel turned around and headed back to the SSW, decreasing speed to about 3 kts, and eventually to between 0.7 to 1.5 kts, generally back to where he had originally been when we first saw him.

As I write this, he is now 8.4 nm distant, back on a course of 253 degrees at 2.6 kts. Our intent is to clear the area for at least another two hours, then turn our NAV lights and AIS broadcast back on. We still have AIS receive, as well as radar reflectors.

We warned another vessel, SV Courage, who we are in contact with, and who is about 45 nm behind us, and he is changing course to 360 to stand clear to the East of the Thunder Knoll by 30 nm.

For what it’s worth, we got out 4 flare guns, large and small, with about 25 total cartridges, 3 parachute flares, and a Hawaiian Sling. We prepared to lock all the windows, and further prepare to be boarded. Details aren’t important.

I also had United States Coast Guard Sector Key West on my phone ready to call them via wifi calling over Starlink.

We were also prepared to activate two PLB’s and an EPIRP that we would place out of view in various locations. We were also prepared to activate DSC on the VHF as well. None of this may have helped us, but might assist in the individuals being apprehended if things went bad.

We have no way of actually knowing the other vessels intentions, but given our location 140 miles off of the border between Nicaragua and Honduras, and given reports over the Panama Posse and other websites of problems encountered, with recommendations to remain a minimum of 125 nm off land in this area, we were in a state of, shall we say, heightened awareness.

End result is that we are unmolested, and continuing on our way, but it was an interesting situation.

I guess my takeaway from this is that it is better to think through these type of situations before hand, so that if, God forbid, they come up, you already have a basic idea of how you are going to respond.

Tomorrow, I will be discussing the incident with USCG Sector Key West.

Fair winds and following seas to all!

Incident report # 3292 uploaded to CSSN 20 April 2024, 2226 cst.

So glad you are safe!

It must have been scary. I am glad you are safe. Thank you for highlighting the need to plan for such contingencies.

Sounds like you had good reason for concern, and that you have handled it well. Nice job being as prepared as possible for such a situation. Preparation is important to success in most things, and certainly in boating. Stay safe out there.

My worst nightmare! Glad the outcome went fine, but must have really rattled you both.

Scot mentions incident report to CSSN. CSSN is a nonprofit reporting group my monitoring safety, theft, and piracy in the Caribbean - vast majority of events are petty thefts such as dinghys, but the zone off the tip of land where Nicaragua meets Honduras has had serious piracy reports in the 2010's with a couple of armed boardings of yachts well offshore.

The App "NoForeignLand" imports these reports and has a very convenient portrayal (see screenshot). Events are categorized as suspicious activity, attempted piracy, and piracy.

Best I can tell, Muirgen was just north of the spot where a very similar event occured last year as reported to CSSN. You'd think being 125 nms offshore would be sufficient. While this is the hottest zone for piracy, there are other pockets including off Venezuela.

We are a year behind Muirgen. Geopolitical risk - which is my broad rubrik to include piracy and theft - has been top of mind for transiting the Caribbean. To me, it's an incredibly challenging leg due to lack of anchorages, weather, ocean currents, lightening, and safety. Coming down the Pacific side is wonderful as it can be broken into a series of day trips with seas generally behind you, and ample ability to be selective about weather. That dramatically changes once through the Panama Canal. I grew up associating the word Caribbean with sunny beaches, bikini clad girls, and umbrella drinks. It's sobering to hear of Scot and Laura's account and a stark reminder of what lies ahead for Weebles.

Thanks for the excellent report Scot. Please update if you get any additional information, especially from USCG. A strong case for Starlink.

Peter

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240421_073217_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240421_073217_Photos.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 14
Peter, the initial location of the suspect vessel was 69.5 nm NNE of the incident you reported to me. . . . In the light of the new morning, and the further distance we've traveled from where the incident took place, our stress level has gone down. But this, and similar incidents should serve as cautionary tales that all cruisers should take note of. Best of luck to all!

Not good miles from anywhere. At least you had enough fuel and speed to put some distance between them and you. Pirates in a slow boat, that is a new one for me.

Not good miles from anywhere. At least you had enough fuel and speed to put some distance between them and you. Pirates in a slow boat, that is a new one for me.
I have wondered the same thing - pirates in a slow boat. But several of the CSSN reports of suspicious activity in that area are similar, including a relatively slow boat such as Muirgen shoveling coal as best they can to the lofty speed of 8-10 knots, and the suspect vessel turning away and seemingly giving up. A 60-ish foot boat should have no problems running 10-kts, especially lightly loaded as a fishing boat that's not fishing would be. One of the CSSN reports from a few years ago was a yacht was rammed by a steel fishing boat, then boarded and robbed. But mostly, the actual threat comes from pangas with machete wielding crew. One report recounts being boarded and robbed by over a dozen men (some of whom were drunk) from three pangas "no guns, no calls, no problem."

As I said, worst nightmare. I cannot imagine what was going through Scot and Laura's mind as this was slowly unfolding. Scot is an ex chopper pilot and is undoubtedly well trained for impossible situations. I have not had the pleasure and have no idea how I'd respond. I sure appreciate his taking the time to inform -

Peter

Glad you emerged from this event safely! It will be interesting to learn about what the USCG had to say...

We cruised the eastern and western Caribbean, Yes the area off the corner of Nicaragua has had alot of issues, there is always the chance they had a long float fishing line or net out and were trying to warn you of it, Weve seen gear destroyed and vessels rendered inoperable runningthru these and it can be a mess!!! typically if a pirate vessel they would be closer to the banks, or have had some faster pangas etc in tow to launch.
We were followed for 2 days about 100 yards by a " Suspicisous fishing vessel " from St Lucia onour way from Bequia to Bonaire. They were simply fisherman on a course to fishing grounds, they could have easily caught up to us. We had pangas race up to us in other areas offshore a bit which really got our blood pumping, and they held up fish and wanted ciggarettes and water, didnt have cigs lol. any one of these could have gone wrong or been interpreted wrong, but glad you are safe.

Thank you for the report. Your actions were decisive and correct. Shutting down your AIS transmitter was Excellent. Putting them between you and the setting sun was brilliant too. Congratulations on your smart moves which kept you both safe.

Some things don't change. We were shot at north of Venezuela in the 1960s. It was a single boat with four men aboard. I was sent below deck. Ours was steel so we were fine, though Daddy did decide to forgo filling our fuel tanks there on that trip.

To add another incident.

Left San Andrés in 1999 sailing north returning to Florida.
Was approached by a panga close to the same location.
Single person, offering marijuana, I declined to buy, he was very polite and left.

Same spot a year late, a family including children gunned down.

OP was very lucky!!!!!

So glad is safe

Looking at the CCSN shot for the area is sobering

Almost like C. Eastwood in Dirty Harry (well punk, do you feel lucky)?

We take our vessels for all the good reasons, there is always a balance between risk and reward.

A very personal decision, did it back then, glorious 4 years, not today for this specific area.

So many other wonderful areas to explore available

Turn off and leave off the AIS until there is a need to advertise your location. Get a radar detector to pick up another boat radar that sees you. Your crazy Ivan moves, the sun in their eyes should be standard practise in those waters.
Glad the cats are safe, and Scot & Laura too.
Optional equipment may be heat seeking missals, :devil:

I would think that USCG Sector San Juan would cover that area.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom