Autopilot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David Goss

Vessel Name
Emma
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42
Greetings
We purchased our 1982 Kadey Krogen 42 July 2019. Installed all new Garmin electronics but kept all the mechanical/hydraulics. All worked fine until we replaced the old Octopus pump which was very noisy with a new Navico3 pump.Hand steering is OK but autopilot dosnt work. Some have suggested the pump is airbound but I cant find any info as to how to bleed. Does anyone have experience with the Seastar Capiliano 275 helms and the Model 50 Uniflow valve? Others info points to the uniflow valve. Perhaps these helms are obsolete and need to be changed out. I'm sure others have encountered this, any help will be most appreciated. Currently hauled out in RI for the winter so time is not critical but preparing for the Loop and want all to be in order for the trip.
Thanks
DavidM/V Emma

Capilano steering is still being produced by Seastar Solutions.

One of the best steering systems available with the adjustable helm pump.

Download manuals:

SeaStar Solutions

Bleeding is fairly simple.

I have capilano steering and the uniflow valve. My autopilot works flawlessly. I have attached a diagram on how my pump is connected. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE COMPHENSATING LINE MUST BE 6 FEET FROM THE UNIFLOW VALVE.

My system has shut off valves locked in the open position on all three pump lines. Good Luck

Attachments

• capilano autop[lot diagram resized.GIF
    capilano autop[lot diagram resized.GIF
    20.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Capilano steering is still being produced by Seastar Solutions.

One of the best steering systems available with the adjustable helm pump.

Download manuals:

SeaStar Solutions

Bleeding is fairly simple.

Some Clarifications, Seastar bought Capilano and sells more modern versions of the Capilano design that have built in check valves at the helm doing away with the Uniflow valve.

It is my information that the Uniflow valve is no longer available but a repair kit may still be available. The take away here is that when you mix and match the old Capilano with the new Seastar Caplano, materials or instructions you get unintended consequences.

Last edited:
What do you mean when you say that the autopilot doesn't work? Does the AP turn the pump on and off? If you just took the Octopus out and put the Navico in its place it's likely not some odd plumbing problem like it's too close to the uniflow. It's unlikely that there is some sort of airlock, you could crack open one of the lines a little and see if fluid drips out. Most pump manufacturers include instructions on how to beed the steering system. You should follow those.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom