AwlWood over boatname decal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bongi

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Scatterlings
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42C
Wondering if anyone has successfully put a boatname decal over an AwlWood primer, followed by some AwlWood gloss topcoats without the decal doing something weird?

Specifically looking at Awlgrip Awlwood J3809 Clear Primer with the J3890 Gloss…

If so, do you recall which decal company you used?

It’s not uncommon to apply topcoats over decals. Awlwood doesn’t specifically list it on the tds for the product, but it does mention fiberglass/carbon fiber, so it should work over vinyl. Obviously you’d want to try a sample first. I the vinyl might need a little tooth (think scotch brite) or maybe 600 or 800 wet. Again, try a sample. Use a good quality wax and grease remover before coating.
I’d also use adhesion promoter. It’s a great tie coat when working with plastics.
I like bulldog adhesion promoter. Comes in aerosol or quart/gallon cans.

It’s not uncommon to apply topcoats over decals. Awlwood doesn’t specifically list it on the tds for the product, but it does mention fiberglass/carbon fiber, so it should work over vinyl. Obviously you’d want to try a sample first. I the vinyl might need a little tooth (think scotch brite) or maybe 600 or 800 wet. Again, try a sample. Use a good quality wax and grease remover before coating.
I’d also use adhesion promoter. It’s a great tie coat when working with plastics.
I like bulldog adhesion promoter. Comes in aerosol or quart/gallon cans.

I would dare the opposite. I would not consider putting a clear topcoat over a vinyl name as 'common'. That would seem very uncommon. This sounds like something that used to be one back when painting names was common.

There is no real reason to top coat a vinyl name. I've had a name on a boat for 10 years with no appreciable changes. About the only thing you're going to do is make it a nightmare for the next person who owns your boat to change the name.

I would dare the opposite. I would not consider putting a clear topcoat over a vinyl name as 'common'. That would seem very uncommon. This sounds like something that used to be one back when painting names was common.

There is no real reason to top coat a vinyl name. I've had a name on a boat for 10 years with no appreciable changes. About the only thing you're going to do is make it a nightmare for the next person who owns your boat to change the name.

could be uncommon for marine i guess. i am thinking automotive. people have reasons for the things they do, i'm not one to question motive.
and i didn't realize it was no longer common to paint names?

I have done a lot with Awlwood. Should work. But, why not have a stencil cut, and then rattle can the name on the Awlwood, then clear over that?

If you do go vinyl, primer, then clear coat two to three times sand smooth, apply decal, then clear over that after wiping down with degreaser.

Awlwood can lift some paints, but should not lift vinyl. You should be able to get away with a name board.

Go to my blog, grandbankschoices, I have two entries where I do this with gold leaf, similar process.

The Awlwood is water clear, and really makes gold leaf stunning.

I am not saying it won’t work. However, Awlwood is a very interesting product and it doesn’t like to stick to things. I find that the gloss won’t stick to fiberglass. I can easily clean up any drips later with just my finger nail. I accidentally discovered that the gloss has reasonable adhesion to varnish.

Thanks folks… also appreciate your guidance here Michael - I have followed with intrigue over the years what you did with “Choices”. This pretty much spells out what I was thinking.

Also, I learned something today.. an adhesion promoter. Will definitely explore that. Thanks all.

The vinyl will fade, even under Awlwood. Not sure if UV stable is an option. I see no reason for an adhesion promoter. I am considering an experiment with colored foil, but also may fade. Easy to do gold, silver, and copper leaf though. Good luck and post pictures.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom