Battery quantity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishsail

Vessel Name
3-Sheets
Vessel Make
Irwin 41 cc
I’m looking at building two battery banks consisting of 5 12v 100amp batteries for each bank, totaling 1000 AH, some battery suppliers recommend only 4 batteries per bank. Any idea why? I called the company and they were no use,

I’m looking at building two battery banks consisting of 5 12v 100amp batteries for each bank, totaling 1000 AH, some battery suppliers recommend only 4 batteries per bank. Any idea why? I called the company and they were no use,

What type of battery? It sounds like LiPo type.

I have read it's not good to parallel more than 4 batteries. Don't know why.

You might hum a few bars about your goal. Usage: house, start, dual?
Why 2 banks? Why not 6V batteries in series/parallel? Etc.

-Chris

I have read it's not good to parallel more than 4 batteries. Don't know why.

You might hum a few bars about your goal. Usage: house, start, dual?
Why 2 banks? Why not 6V batteries in series/parallel? Etc.

-Chris

Or even use a 200aH battery vs a 100aH.

I get 500 AH. Am I missing something?

Jim

I’d change from wet cells to AGM, I have 8D’s now but they are too heavy to move around. I’d like a simple set up, one bank per eng with a selector switch to the house panel. I like the idea of separate banks. We anchor out most of the time and I don’t want to run the genny all night. We have a fridge at about 750 watts, ice maker at about 300 watts and a coffee maker in the mornings.

I’d change from wet cells to AGM, I have 8D’s now but they are too heavy to move around. I’d like a simple set up, one bank per eng with a selector switch to the house panel. I like the idea of separate banks. We anchor out most of the time and I don’t want to run the genny all night. We have a fridge at about 750 watts, ice maker at about 300 watts and a coffee maker in the mornings.
Why change to AGM? They cost more than double and have no more utility than flooded batteries. They do charge a bit faster, about 3% faster. Is that worth the price of admission?

Why change to AGM? They cost more than double and have no more utility than flooded batteries. They do charge a bit faster, about 3% faster. Is that worth the price of admission?

A good question and one that I have pondered over the years. For me the $$/Value equation depends a lot on the location and ease of access. i have maintained flooded batteries for decades and am comfortable continuing to do that, as long as I can be comfortable doing it! Last three boats have made that problematic due to battery location and rather than spring for a complex automatic watering system I have simply replaced with AGM and now can cross items off my to do list. I do find that AGMs are more tolerant of discharges in excess of 40% and have occasionally discharged to as much as 65% without noticeable fall off in performance with AGM. I expect to get 8 years out of my AGMs. Also last time I replaced Flooded with AGM I had to neutralize about 2 gallons of vented acid in the batterybox before cleaning it all out. It took a day and ruined a perfectly good engine room knee cushion!
Yes I now favor AGM.
~A

Back
Top Bottom