Best Weather (dry) and no bugs for 6mo liveaboards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My wife and i had a similar aspiration. However we knew where we wanted to be in the summer months. May thru November: The Finger Lakes of New York state. We have estsblished gardens here and grow a lot of our food, we are OFF THE GRID with solar power and enjoy hiking, canoeing, biking here. The temp is warm and hardly ever hot and bugs are not bad. I can't think of a better summer place. But where do we go in winter with our trawler. Next year we plan to take it down to and keep it in Grorgia or as far as Cape BCanaveral Florida. Why? It is readonable driving distance. We drive down in Nov and take the boat over to the Bahamas. THAT is where we intend to spend about 5 months, the winter months, of the year.

For summer: Corsica
Wonderful climate, dry, if you feel hot in 15 min you can be in a fresh forest, wonderful sea, wonderful food, wonderful wine.

For winter: some Caribbean island are quite dry and not so hot with a steady light wind.

L

You can't beat puget sound in the summer. Leave your boat on the hard in Anacortes October-march roughly $350 a month no maintenance or anything to worry about and cruise the san juan and Canadian golf islands April through October then head to your winter destination like AZ or FL. Good luck!

Weather travels southwest to northeast during the summer, and gulf of Mexico supplies super humid air to eastern North America.....upper Lake Michigan and the North Channel of Georgian Bay have great dry and cooler air as they are just to the west of the humid air pattern. Bugs are not bad during the day, but you must screen in at night. Some of the best cruising grounds on the planet. Bring a wetsuit. Check out Mackinac weather data.

Attachments

• 20200730_112107.jpg
    20200730_112107.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 49
I gotta observe reading through this thread really argues for an F350 and a larger variant of the OPs Dory 22. Rosborough 26 and a triple axle comes to mind.

Peter

I gotta observe reading through this thread really argues for an F350 and a larger variant of the OPs Dory 22. Rosborough 26 and a triple axle comes to mind.

I was thinking their use case would be the opposite, thus allowing them to have a larger boat, and eschew the expense and extra hassle of a large tow vehicle and a trailer. Reason I say that is they said they want to boat in a place that suits their fairly narrow requirements 6 months of the year, and then live in a house in another place that suits their fairly narrow requirements the other 6 months of the year.

Trailerable boats can be great, but if I were going to do what is described above, I'd have a nice, comfortable boat in that special place I chose, and then leave it tucked away on the hard for winter, and head home (where I would drive whatever car I chose, with no need for it to be capable of hauling a 10,000#+ load).

What I picked up from the OP is an extreme aversion to bugs. Will have to be very careful about location and season.

I wasn't joking about Lake Powell. Western lakes are amazing with crystal clear fresh water and cool evenings. Someone else mentioned the Sacramento Delta area. PNW is best from mid-June for a few months. Great lakes similar (though I seem to recall being devoured by mosquitos in Grand Lake once).

Given the bug limitation, I think being mobile might make sense.

I feel for the OP. I have a friend who is very sensitive to bugs. It's a hassle for him.

Hello All,

My wife and I are about 12 years from retirement and we're trying to figure out where to retire. Our current dream is to have a home somewhere for half the year and a boat for the other half of the year.

The most likely scenario is to live somewhere like Arizona or Colorado for the Spring/Summer/Fall, and then have a boat somewhere to spend the winter. But we could also flip this and live somewhere warmer in the winter and spend summers aboard (PNW, Maine, Northern Great Lakes.)

The most important factor for us is the weather and bugs. We have to be somewhere that it's pleasant to be outside nearly 24 hours a day. If it's too hot and sticky to enjoy sitting on the aft deck or walking into town, or the mosquitos are eating my wife up so badly that she has to stay inside, then this liveaboard dream won't last very long.

Where are some locations you've found the weather to be pleasant (basically 70-85 degrees and lower humidity) and the bugs weren't an issue? If you've ever lived in Colorado, think of that weather but on the water - I know, it's basically impossible. We currently live in the Annapolis area and, while beautiful, the summers here are getting to be too much.

From what I understand, the Bahamas are pleasant in the winter.

Northern locations like the PNW, Maine, Novia Scotia, etc, are beautiful but they all seem rather humid in the summer and I'm guessing bugs can be an issue.

Maybe my screen name should be "Searching for Utopia".

Thanks for your suggestions.

I'm 72. I've lived in south Florida since 1955. One summer we decided to escape the heat and visit Maine! We booked a B and B with a beautiful view of the ocean!

In all my days, even as a boy scout camping in the Everglades, have I ever seen mosquitoes as thick as they were in August in Maine!

We celebrate them as our state bird in South Florida...but most Floridians fave a clue as to how bad they can be in summer in Maine! Just food for thought!

San Diego gets my vote. Some of the best weather in the country year round. Low humidity, low bugs, not much rain except winter. temperature Generally nice on the coast but can get hot inland in the late summer. No hurricanes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom