Bilge Pump - Lowest Level and Profile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DBG8492

Vessel Name
Sovereignty
Vessel Make
1986 Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Without using a "dry bilge" system, which make/model of automatic bilge pump will keep the water at the lowest possible level?

I'm fairly certain now that the low point in our MT Sundeck is the area right under the black water tank - basically about where the bulkhead/door is on the forward side of the galley - near the entrance to the v-berth.

Of course, the old pump and float switch are mounted closer to the engine room - probably because there's not a lot of space under the black tank - and as a result, any rainwater that manages to get into the bilge collects farther forward than the pump can reach - PLUS - the pump only gets it down to about 3" of water - and that's still too much. I'd like to get as much water out as I possibly can.

I've been looking at the Rule Low Pro and the Whale Supersub - both look like they would fit under the tank. Anyone have any experience with either?

I have a couple of the Whale Supersubs as the lowest level pumps in my bilge. I've removed the check valves from them so they don't suck down quite as low (after backflow), but I found the check valves sometimes caused priming issues (and they reduce flow a bit). Even without them they work well, the internal switches have been reliable and they'll suck water down to under 1/2" deep before the back-flow on shutoff.

Have a whale pump mounted up high on a bulkhead. The pickup side is plumbed on to 3/4 pvc that sucks off the bottom of bilge sump. Electronic float switch mounted on the pvc. Pump runs 20 seconds after water presence is gone. Leaves very little water.

I like the idea of a Whale plumbed to pull everything, but I think I may start with one of the Supersubs and see how that works out.

I too have a Whale remote pickup pump. The pump is actually mounted somewhere and the pickup has a sensor in it. They do pretty well on getting most of the water out. I also have a Dry Bilge system that sucks all of the water out. It pumps into the shower sump which is pumped out by the Whale pump.

Back
Top Bottom