Biocide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the link you posted is what you're using then it contains no biocide.
That's a good thing.
True biocides are fairly aggressive chemicals which are not needed as long
as the fuel is 'dry' and uninfected.
As a rule I focus on keeping water out of diesel and avoid using biocides.
Think of biocide use the same way we should use antibiotics, i.e. to treat an
active infection.

Well said.
I’ve preached that for years to my fuel distributor customers.
Get the water out, and keep it out with regular doses of jet fuel de-icer.
All diesel contains water from every pipeline, and every terminal.
Then there is condensation in your own tanks.

Glycol ether…jet fuel de-icer.

Not Alcohol.

Curious thoughts on biocide. Currently I only use howes diesel treat to add lubricity. I am starting to see a buildup of bio algae in the water separater. About 1/2 inch build up over 400hrs and 2400litres of fuel.

Is this normal or should I start adding an additional biocide?

TIA!
One word of caution on biocide. A sailboat i owned a few years back had filter issues that required VERY frequent changing.They had a crystalline type material in them that plugged them up. It turns out that the owner previous to me thought that if some is good then more is better. The biocide itself was crystalizing in the tank and the filters were clogging up just as if it were algae. I had to remove the tank (thankfully not bad) and have it cleaned. Use the recommended dose for each quantity of fuel put in.

Every fall upon my arrival back to the Columbia River I prepare for winter by shocking my fuel tanks with brocade and lubricant. This keeps the tanks fresh and free from most contaminates. By spring I do have dead critters in my Racor.

I use one bottle per 250 gallon tank (2 each) and half bottle in each 50 gallon tank (2 each). On the Lucas 1gallon bottles.

https://www.westmarine.com/biobor-b...e-and-lubricity-additive-32-oz.-10932747.html

https://lucasoil.com/products/fuel-treatments/lucas-fuel-treatment

if you want the best without exaggerated claims:
Schaefferoil.com
MENU
FUEL ADDITIVES

Back
Top Bottom