Blackwater line replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike3888

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Happy Happy
Vessel Make
Bayliner 3888 1989 gas
Hello all, its been awhile.
My issue is I am thinking about replacing the backwater lines on a bayliner 3888

I was reading Ms Peggie's book, she said that replacing the blackwater lines helps out the smells.

Question I have is there anyone that can give me some guidance on HOW?
I have a bayline 3888, the line from the holding tank to the right rail pump out fitting on the starboard rail is a long run. I am not sure to try to fish the replacement line from the tank to the fitting or the fitting to the tanks?

The lines from the toilets sure look like there in tight area too. So help in that area would also be appreciated too.

Pending your expert guidance,
Mike

On my boat I ended up using pvc inside coupler between my old black sanitation hose to the new saniflex sanitation hose. After gluing (and screwing) the hoses to the coupler I pulled both through. It actually worked even though my hoses were a tight fit. Lots of grunts and swearing later I was very happy and was worth the aggravation.As to which direction to pull from, on my boat it was from my head, I fed the hose from the tank side but yours may be easier from the other end.

Peggie is a goldmine of how-to's and information.

Last edited:
I replaced the head in our boat with a Raritan Marine Elegance. The ME can use either 1” or 1.5” discharge hose. I use 1” and ran it through the old 1.5” discharge hose. I cleaned the old hose with OC Divers cleaning solution. Then scoped it with a camera and had no buildup or blockages. Then I used an electrical fish wire to pull a 1/4” line theough and with the 1/4” line I pulled the new discharge hose through the old hose. I pulled 36’ of new hose through in 57 minutes. Went great.

When you replace the hose ONLY use Raritan SaniFlex hose. It is extremely flexible and has a guarantee against permeation. Defender sells it by the foot.

Sometimes exploratory surgery is required. Using an inspection camera can also be helpful and you can get one very inexpensively.

After detaching hose from fitting pierce side and fold metal fish tape to hook into hose and wrap with some electrical tape to secure. Pull out existing and then pull through new with the fish tape. Make sure that the folded end is capable of repeated push and pull without detaching. Warming new hose ends with a hairdryer can make connecting to barbed fittings easier.
Usually end up cutting and replacing sub floor at some access points under cabinets etc. Find lots of installations where hoses are secured with straps when crossing stringers or turning up through deck.

If you wish to never have to replace it again because it stinks, wrap the sanitary hose with Petro Wrap. Amazon.com

My issue is I am thinking about replacing the backwater lines on a bayliner 3888

I was reading Ms Peggie's book, she said that replacing the blackwater lines helps out the smells.

I have a bayline 3888, the line from the holding tank to the right rail pump out fitting on the starboard rail is a long run. I am not sure to try to fish the replacement line from the tank to the fitting or the fitting to the tanks?

The lines from the toilets sure look like there in tight area too. So help in that area would also be appreciated too.

Mike
Hi, we are working on a similar issue on our boat. But have not come across the book you’re referring to written by Miss Peggy. Can you send me the name of the book please?

Hi, we are working on a similar issue on our boat. But have not come across the book you’re referring to written by Miss Peggy. Can you send me the name of the book please?
THE NEW GET RID OF BOAT ODORS, 2nd ed.: A Boat Owner’s Guide to Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor

You'll find a link to it on Amazon in my signature at the bottom of all my posts...just click on the title.

Fwiw, Raritan SaniFlex RaritanSaniFlex is the ONLY hose I recommend any more...It has a 10 year warranty against odor permeation, plus the added advantage of being so flexible that it can literally be bent almost as tight as a hairpin without kinking, which makes most re-hosing jobs a LOT easier. Defender has it for the best price I've been able to find and they have free shipping on orders $100 +.

Vetus premium sanitation hose is the closest thing to it and is the hose I recommend to people who aren't in the US.

As for replacing the hoses on your Bayliner, Mike...You're second person I've heard from recently who needs help figuring out how to do it. All boat builders are rotten sanitation plumbers and Bayliner is the worst! One of my first customers when I launched my company in the late '80s was also a Bayliner 3888 owner with stinking sanitation hoses--vent line and pumpout line--that ran all the way from the tank--which was under the sole at the foot of the master berth in the bow--to the cockpit...behind the hanging cabinets in the galley...and were neatly C-clamped to the hull every 3 ft! We'd have had to take that whole side of the cabin down to remove 'em or even wrap 'em in plastic, for which I'd have had to charge him a fortune. So he opted to leave 'em in place behind the walls and seal up any access to them, and have us run new hoses the way they should have been run. If you'd like my help in doing that, send me a PM so we can discuss the details. I sold my company to Raritan and retired from doing any actual business in 1999 and now only offer free advice and guidance to boat owners.

--Peggie

--Peggie

an amazingly simple solution to the complexities and odiferous offenses of the typical black water marine/rv sanitation system is :::;;;;;

the composting toilet.

no tanks.
no hoses.
no leaks.
no pump outs.
over a decade of utilization,
numerous locations.

simple & clean.

Before you start undoing the hoses I would clean them first. OC Diver had a thread on cleaning the holding tank in his boat. He used a mixture of laundry detergent and sodium perconate. Do a search for that thread and that is what I used to clean mu hoses and holding tank before I worked on them. It seemed to work well. Then when I am pulling out an old hose with suspicious contents I use paper towel to make a plug in the end and then tape it up with duct tape so if there happens to be any liquid in the hose it won’t drain out in some inaccessible place.

Hi Peg,
I have been the beneficiary of your advice to others over the years, so thank you! Curious about your take on Shields 105, Poly-X hose. A friend recommended it to me a couple of years ago. Horrifically expensive but perhaps worth it? I’ve used it on a couple of short runs that don’t drain adequately, like the toilet discharge up to the Y-valve. Seems to have been a success. Thanks,

Shields Poly X IS horrendously expensive and I've never seen it at a discounted price. They can put a "lifetime" warranty against odor permeation on it because it has a polyurethane (varnish) coating on it that makes it even stiffer than Trident 101-102. "Lifetime" is meaningless...the average max working life of any hose is 10 years because rubber and plastics dry out over time making the hose hard, brittle and prone to cracking and splitting, making it a no better warranty than Raritan's 10 year warranty on their SaniFlex--which is the top rated hose and available for a discounted price. You can paint even the cheapest hose with varnish to extend its ability to prevent odor permeation, but it's not something I'd recommend doing.

--Peggie

Thanks,
That is very useful information!

And the SaniFlex being so flexible makes it easier to work with. Defender sells it by the foot.

Shields Poly X IS horrendously expensive and I've never seen it at a discounted price. They can put a "lifetime" warranty against odor permeation on it because it has a polyurethane (varnish) coating on it that makes it even stiffer than Trident 101-102. "Lifetime" is meaningless...the average max working life of any hose is 10 years because rubber and plastics dry out over time making the hose hard, brittle and prone to cracking and splitting, making it a no better warranty than Raritan's 10 year warranty on their SaniFlex--which is the top rated hose and available for a discounted price. You can paint even the cheapest hose with varnish to extend its ability to prevent odor permeation, but it's not something I'd recommend doing.

--Peggie
Or, you can wrap the hose with Petro Tape before installing and it will never dry out, nor stink. I've wrapped a grade 8 bolt head, black steel, that is exposed to weather 15 years ago, and there is zero rust because oxygen is prevented from coming in contact with the steel. No oxygen, no deterioration and no smell.

That seems to be a lot of work and extra expense to avoid replacing hose that has a 10 year warranty against odor permeation no more often than every 10 years. But...it's your boat and your time and money.

That seems to be a lot of work and extra expense to avoid replacing hose that has a 10 year warranty against odor permeation no more often than every 10 years. But...it's your boat and your time and money.
Takes about 10 minutes per 30' ft of hose I'd guess and about $15 worth of tape, but perhaps I'm just being profligate with my time and money.

Mike
Yours is not the first Bayliner 3888 with sanitation plumbing that's more challenging that it needs to be. Post #10 includes my story of the first one I experienced.

I could post how we solved that one, but boat builders like to change the layouts in their same model boats from year to year...holding tank not always in the same place etc...what worked on one Bayliner 3888 may not work on yours. If you'd like my help to plumb the sanitation system so it makes sense, send me a PM.

--Peggie

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom