bluewater 5200 -- anyone heard of these vessels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe these boats were built in Minnesota (or upper midwest at least) and were designed for river and lake cruising. No personal experience, they may be very capable vessels.

I believe these boats were built in Minnesota (or upper midwest at least) and were designed for river and lake cruising. No personal experience, they may be very capable vessels.
thanks --makes sense, does look like a bit like a river cruiser with the low swept lines
of course, the broker goes on about a seaworthy vessel but take into consideration the source

There's a 5800 in the slip beside me. They're basically houseboats. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I personally love the old fiberglass Gibsons.

Greetings,
Mr. C. "...possibly over the to Bahamas?" On a good day, probably. Center consoles cross regularly on good days. The Gulf stream is NOT to be fooled with in ANY weather with a north vector in most any boat.
Although named "Blue Water" they are definitely NOT blue water boats IMO.

got it -- TY

while at the gym, found an older 2015 thread on these vessels and everyone said the same. more houseboat/condo on the water than cruiser -- figured there was a 'catch' as it looked a little too good a deal

There's a slightly smaller version locally. I've watched the guy try to maneuver it on a breezy day (15 - 20 kts) and it was basically impossible. It has a huge amount of windage, very little draft, tiny props tucked up in tunnels, etc. Even giving it throttle doesn't help, as it just shoots water up out of the end of the prop tunnels, makes a bunch of noise, but hardly responds to the extra throttle.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that those things are basically a fancy looking houseboat, in other words, junk if you want to actually use it as a boat.

Looks a bit like the boats you can rent from companies like 'Le Boat'. They have boats for charter in Europe, Canada, US. I would not want to be out at sea in a bit of a storm with such a boat, however if you plan to use it on canals and lakes it could be a fun boat.

Sorry, when I saw the title all I could think of was "A boat made of 5200? Must be indestructible! But you'd have a heck of a time prying it off the dock."

There was/is on for sale here on Lake Champlain for a reasonable price but with the twin 454 gassers not sure I would be able to afford to get out of the slip.

My understanding is that they are an upscale houseboat. Better quality and somewhat better seakeeping than a standard houseboat. But it essentially is still a houseboat so I wouldn’t take it out into open waters, lakes and rivers it should be fine.

Here is a profile of the company:

Bluewater was started by Elmer Klapmeier back in the late 1950's, they sold "floating camps" for use by hunters and fishermen on northern lakes who didn't want to sleep in a tent. The company was originally called Boatel, and changed to Bluewater at some point when Elmer's son Jim took over. Jim died in 2022, not sure if anyone else is running the company now.
These are definitely river and lake boats, not "bluewater" in any way.

Peter

My first experience with a Bluewater 5200 was when I was asked to retrieve one from the bottom of Lake Washington. The owner never told me exactly what happened but he managed to rip the stern off the Boat when he collided with his dock.

This in its self does not make it a bad boat but it does make you question its sea worthy ness in open water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom