Boat Salvage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopCar

Guru
Vessel Name
Possum
Vessel Make
Ellis 28
My friend kept a 25 ft Aquasport on a lift in Punta Gorda Florida. After the hurricane passed the boat was upside down in the canal. Today two guys from Tow Boat US showed up to salvage it. They had no heavy equipment just a few come-alongs and a pump. They got it up, pumped out and tied to the dock in about two hours. The charge was $6240.
Resized_20241010_130047_1728579709760.jpeg
IMG_9161.jpeg
IMG_9212.jpeg

Did he ask them to salvage it?

Yes he asked them to refloat it. He was in Italy when the storm hit so I made some calls for him. They did him a favor doing it so quickly. The canals are full of swamped boats. His insurance will pay $6000.

this is scam. my friend ground 46 ft sailboat on rock. team people diver and heavy lift,tow to dry marina he pay 4000€
I think havy lift is 1000€ per hour

Salvage rules are way different from towing. The costs go up exponentially.
what rules, also in my video is salvage first step havy lift 3 hour job,diver 2 hour job,tow 30 minute ,dry dock lift, dry dock 1 week,repair ruder,repair hull ,antifouling paint ,epoxy paint price for all 4000€

Yes he asked them to refloat it. He was in Italy when the storm hit so I made some calls for him. They did him a favor doing it so quickly. The canals are full of swamped boats. His insurance will pay $6000.
Wrong all people who have insurance for season 2025-2026 pay this.insurancy company simply rise price for next year.Also we in Croatia/London pay this. London rise in re-insurance and insurance companies rise price.

But remember that here we are talking about US salvage rules. We are very litigious here. If someone disagrees with a salvage bill they can sue. But with only about $6K the insurance company will likely just pay. It would cost more than that to sue.

In order to claim a salvage reward, the salvor must meet three requirements. There must be (1) a marine peril; (2) service voluntarily rendered; and (3) success in saving persons or property. If these three requirements are met, the salvor may present the owner of the salvaged property with a claim for his reward.

I'm reminded of the old story of a woman with a broken TV. She calls a repairman who comes out and in 3-mins has it working again. He hands her a bill for $50.00.

"Fifty dollars is outrageous!!!" She exclaims. "I want this bill itemized!"

The repairman takes the bill and scribbles

"Screw (1) - $0.05
Knowing which screw: $49.95"

Peter

Yup. And add that not acting in a timely matter and causing eco damage via fuel spill can result in a bigger fine than the salvage bill.

Wrong all people who have insurance for season 2025-2026 pay this.insurancy company simply rise price for next year.Also we in Croatia/London pay this. London rise in re-insurance and insurance companies rise price.
Minimum labor rate in the US is now close to $15/hr... and in some countries.... $1 or less. Does that give a slight clue?

If you are not in the salvage business fore decades I take your analysis with a grain of salt.

I was doing salvage from 2003-2016.

I raised many a boat (probably between 100-200) as 10 per year was common and on some days I helped raise 4-5/day after storms. A few resulted in minor environmental cleanup due toa lot of engine oil leaking out, but the vast majority had no cleanup necessary. The boats that did were the larger, offshore vessels that had a lot of oil/fuel in engines/tanks and extra stored on board

Occasionally I raised a few on my own with just the tow boat, come-a-long and trash pump. Rarely was the charge under $3000 even back 20 years ago in New Jersey, USA.

I used to cringe at the prices when the salvages went quick and smooth. I never cringed when they took all day and were dangerous as heck.

But salvage is like any business... you charge what you charge and win some and lose some.... so overall you hope you make a nice profit. But nice profit is not necessarily getting rich quick.

My boss explained to me he developed a flat rate per foot that usually kept the cost well within what it would cost if you detailed the invoice time/materials and labor. It was very popular with insurance companies as they almost never balked. In fact some would use us instead of their partner towing company because our prices were more competitive and the salvages almost all went well.

A lot of boaters have a bad opinion of people who tow and do salvage. I can't say I thought highly of them either as a Coastie or a boater till I did it for many years. My bosses were trustworthy, honest men whom I respected a lot. There were a few assistance towing companies I didn't think so highly of, but it wasn't because of their pricing as it wasn't a whole lot different than most.

Before discussing towing salvage, I suggest walking a mile in their shoes and learn something about it beyond internet banter.

And remember that most times it is no cure no pay. In other words if they aren’t able to successfully salvage the boat they don’t get paid.

I'm reminded of the old story of a woman with a broken TV. She calls a repairman who comes out and in 3-mins has it working again. He hands her a bill for $50.00.

"Fifty dollars is outrageous!!!" She exclaims. "I want this bill itemized!"

The repairman takes the bill and scribbles

"Screw (1) - $0.05
Knowing which screw: $49.95"

Peter
Good one.

Before discussing towing salvage, I suggest walking a mile in their shoes and learn something about it beyond internet banter.

Good post. Only point I'd add is salvage is a highly uneven and episodic business. Most people (US) work 40-hour work weeks, 2000 hours per year. Some jobs have really lumpy hours so they have to make up for idle time to be available when needed - salvage is high on that list.

Think of it this way. Let's say the average income is $80k/yr in the US......around $40/hour. Further, let's say the average firefighter spends 100 hours per year actually fighting fires. Should they only be paid $4000/year? Is it a scam to pay them $80k/year?

Peter

Back
Top Bottom