Boat search is over....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have always said, you have to be a moron to own a boat.

If I give up boating, I could have one hell of a heroin addiction and save money!

LOL, I agree, I too have to be a moron for owning a boat. And I would be a moron if I ever gave up my boat. Ha ha.

It’s been said “once a man has gone to sea he is ruined for land”. Some of us fall into that trap. For all the headaches and expense when a boat is yours it’s yours and part of the family. Unlike charters you can take it where you want, stay as long as you want, and be able to modify it to your pleasing. I can’t image having the feeling I get looking back at my boat from the dinghy from a charter boat. I wouldn’t have that secure feeling from a charter boat that someone else maintained either. Not a fan chartering and need to be floating. But different strokes for different folks. All the best.

Why not do BOTH ? recreational property sounds suspicious to me , like it wont make money , if you want to invest in real estate simply buy a cheap house and rent it out , make sure it is in an area where rental rules are lax and dont overfix it , a good tenant will fix it for you , then go down and get a small sailboat for about free ! heck I saw a 28" with a diesel and in great shape get chopped up , so good boats cheap are out there
, just my opinion

LOL, I agree, I too have to be a moron for owning a boat. And I would be a moron if I ever gave up my boat. Ha ha.

Yes catch 22

I've been a moron since the age of 14 55 now. OMG

My dad was 84 when he gave up his boat. Looking to break that record!

Well.....Iied.

After deep diving into Trawlers and the lifestyle I decided it wasn't for us. We did buy a recreational property and are building a cottage.

However.....this trawler idea has been niggling in the back of my mind over and over. This summer my wife brought it up as she heard a radio story of the great loop.

My previous mindset was to buy/hold/store etc..... it didn't make comfortable financial sense.

My wife and I started our marriage almost 30 years ago by taking a year long trip through Asia + Nepal and India. She said, "wouldn't it be fitting for us to do another year long adventure at my retirement"?

Now, Im thinking of buying for the purpose of a one year Great Loop then selling and come back to our retirement lifestyle. Seems many have done this strategy.

General comments considerations on owing a boat for one year?

What's your experience level? It can be a pretty steep learning curve for some.

I felt like it took me more than a year to become competent.

What's your experience level? It can be a pretty steep learning curve for some.

I felt like it took me more than a year to become competent.
I've driven boats for 30+ years, motor and sail. As a contractor I've driven all types of equipment. Work with my hands and have some common sense. (so I tell myself) Put a million miles in a semi in my late teens/early 20's. Expect some lessons and mistakes in the beginning, but not too worried about the driving part of things.

My previous mindset was to buy/hold/store etc..... it didn't make comfortable financial sense.

My wife and I started our marriage almost 30 years ago by taking a year long trip through Asia + Nepal and India. She said, "wouldn't it be fitting for us to do another year long adventure at my retirement"?

Now, Im thinking of buying for the purpose of a one year Great Loop then selling and come back to our retirement lifestyle. Seems many have done this strategy.

General comments considerations on owing a boat for one year?
Whether it is comfortable or not, I'm convinced that buying boat rarely makes any financial sense. However, there are lots of things we do that don't make financial sense. Many things we do simply because we want to.

I think the loop would be a great adventure and it sounds like your wife is an adventurous sort (mine isn't). It is not a simple undertaking, but then neither was your trip 30 years ago.

I guess it has to do with your personality type. At least IMHO. In 2005, I sold a business. Not enough to retire, but I had some freedom to take some time. Technology had basically rendered my business obsolete and I got out somewhat lucky. I knew I had to reboot. Problem was I had no idea what to do next. I had read of some folks who traveled by motorcycle around the world. Inspired by that, I decided I was going to ride my bike until I could see penguins then figure the rest out. So I rode my BMW GS1200 from the USA to the end of south america. And I saw penguins.

The memories from that trip are still with me. I just loved waking up in the morning, having my coffee while looking at the "Let's Go" book and a map and deciding where I would spend the next night. It was a roller coaster, some days great, some sucked. But I traveled with my "house" with me, had a few bucks in my pocket and knew I'd be ok. That was living!

That was almost 20 years ago. Since that time, I've had another business, been dealing with family obligations, etc, but am finally seeing some light on the horizon. I still feel that sense of adventure. My body isn't capable of doing what I did 20 years ago, but I am well capable of handling a power boat. I've still got a lot to learn, but the idea of being able to travel to far away lands, experience new things and take my "home" with me while I do it is still quite appealing. I'm well aware this life I still crave is not an easy one, but I've never been a "put me out to pasture" kind of guy. For me, it's the beginning of a new adventure.

I don't have a boat yet, but I will. I working on it every day. I'm learning, asking questions, meeting people and doing a ton of research. Nothing's really changed since my motorcycle adventures. I still crave exploring new horizons with my home on my back, so to speak.

Nothing about this makes any sense. It's a horrible financial plan. If it's not something you have to do, don't. There are far more comfortable ways to spend retirement. As silly as it sounds, my dad, who is now in assisted living, took me on a fishing trip, in the early 70's, to Bimini. I have the picture of me and him under the Bimini Big Game Club sign, proudly displaying the fish we caught on that trip. Just like the needing to see the penguins, I will go there and have my picture taken under that sign, most likley with my wife, and will get there on my boat. I hope to be able to do it while he is still alive so he can see the pictures. I know, in terms of boating, that's no great feat, and I'm sure the adventures won't end there, but it's something I need to do, and will do.

There's nothing logical about all this. If you're not passionate about doing the loop, why bother?

Lots of people buy boats in Florida that are "Loop Veterans" use them to do the loop (after all, the boat already knows the way!), then sell them a year or two later. Do they get what they have into the boat out of it? Probably not, but compared to possibly renting, or leasing a boat for the loop, they WAY ahead $$ wise.
HOWEVER: Understand, that while you own the boat, any repairs are ON YOU! If your engine suddenly takes a dump and requires replacing, you are going to be into your Loop boat for a lot more $$ than you initially thought.
That being said, I think it's eminently doable.
This is exactly what THIS couple below did:
Great story, and they went an extra step of purchasing with an LLC, blogging about their experience, sold the boat after (if I remember correctly) two years and wrote off the expenses when they published the book!
Not for everyone, but it's a thought!
Our current boat, that we purchased in the PNW, took to Alaska, then down the West Coast, through the Panama Canal, and to our new to us home in Florida is not the best Loop boat. She draws 5.5', and has an airdraft of 28' . . . .
Fast forward to last month . . . . and we had a Mainship 34 follow us home . . . . The perfect loop boat.
There's a member on TF who will be listing his Mainship 34 shortly. I tried to get friends interested in it, but they're dragging their feet. I'll send him a link to this thread.
Best of luck in whatever you decide!

I guess it has to do with your personality type. At least IMHO. In 2005, I sold a business. Not enough to retire, but I had some freedom to take some time. Technology had basically rendered my business obsolete and I got out somewhat lucky. I knew I had to reboot. Problem was I had no idea what to do next. I had read of some folks who traveled by motorcycle around the world. Inspired by that, I decided I was going to ride my bike until I could see penguins then figure the rest out. So I rode my BMW GS1200 from the USA to the end of south america. And I saw penguins.

The memories from that trip are still with me. I just loved waking up in the morning, having my coffee while looking at the "Let's Go" book and a map and deciding where I would spend the next night. It was a roller coaster, some days great, some sucked. But I traveled with my "house" with me, had a few bucks in my pocket and knew I'd be ok. That was living!

That was almost 20 years ago. Since that time, I've had another business, been dealing with family obligations, etc, but am finally seeing some light on the horizon. I still feel that sense of adventure. My body isn't capable of doing what I did 20 years ago, but I am well capable of handling a power boat. I've still got a lot to learn, but the idea of being able to travel to far away lands, experience new things and take my "home" with me while I do it is still quite appealing. I'm well aware this life I still crave is not an easy one, but I've never been a "put me out to pasture" kind of guy. For me, it's the beginning of a new adventure.

I don't have a boat yet, but I will. I working on it every day. I'm learning, asking questions, meeting people and doing a ton of research. Nothing's really changed since my motorcycle adventures. I still crave exploring new horizons with my home on my back, so to speak.

Nothing about this makes any sense. It's a horrible financial plan. If it's not something you have to do, don't. There are far more comfortable ways to spend retirement. As silly as it sounds, my dad, who is now in assisted living, took me on a fishing trip, in the early 70's, to Bimini. I have the picture of me and him under the Bimini Big Game Club sign, proudly displaying the fish we caught on that trip. Just like the needing to see the penguins, I will go there and have my picture taken under that sign, most likley with my wife, and will get there on my boat. I hope to be able to do it while he is still alive so he can see the pictures. I know, in terms of boating, that's no great feat, and I'm sure the adventures won't end there, but it's something I need to do, and will do.

There's nothing logical about all this. If you're not passionate about doing the loop, why bother

Congrats on your trip! I completely 'get' that feeling of freedom and adventure.

We have replaced our backpacks with rolling suitcases. It took awhile to not feel guilty about that, but we're good now.

Lots of people buy boats in Florida that are "Loop Veterans" use them to do the loop (after all, the boat already knows the way!), then sell them a year or two later. Do they get what they have into the boat out of it? Probably not, but compared to possibly renting, or leasing a boat for the loop, they WAY ahead $$ wise.
HOWEVER: Understand, that while you own the boat, any repairs are ON YOU! If your engine suddenly takes a dump and requires replacing, you are going to be into your Loop boat for a lot more $$ than you initially thought.
That being said, I think it's eminently doable.
This is exactly what THIS couple below did:
Great story, and they went an extra step of purchasing with an LLC, blogging about their experience, sold the boat after (if I remember correctly) two years and wrote off the expenses when they published the book!
Not for everyone, but it's a thought!
Our current boat, that we purchased in the PNW, took to Alaska, then down the West Coast, through the Panama Canal, and to our new to us home in Florida is not the best Loop boat. She draws 5.5', and has an airdraft of 28' . . . .
Fast forward to last month . . . . and we had a Mainship 34 follow us home . . . . The perfect loop boat.
There's a member on TF who will be listing his Mainship 34 shortly. I tried to get friends interested in it, but they're dragging their feet. I'll send him a link to this thread.
Best of luck in whatever you decide!

Thanks! I've owned enough machinery in my life I never expect to come out unscathed. :)

The way I am looking at it is we would finance it....either with a broker or add to our line of credit. The interest and principal payment is the same as if we rented a condo or something for a year. We have passive income that covers all 'home' expenses while away. With a monthly budget of around 10K CDN a month we could do the loop without touching the nest egg if we are careful.

Interesting you mention the Mainship 34. I'm a broad shouldered, 200+lbs, 6'2" guy....I need a couch! The 34' looks small. We have a 30' 5th wheel that is great for a week, but longer I start to getting uncomfortable. Can't stand up in the bedroom, shoulders touch the side of the doors, I lay on the floor when we watch a movie.

So far we are leaning towards 40'-ish aft cabins. I'd love a 35', but nothing feels right yet.

Yeah. I'm 6-2, 220 pounds and I need to be able to stand up most places. The whale to the left fits - :)
Nice!

I hope for a more classic looking Trawler like yours. So far, just looking at layouts a 1990-ish Silverton 402 or a Carver of the same vintage. Not exactly our 'style', but layouts are great. (aside from poor engine access) Our house is a 1927 Craftsman style some....lots of wood work that we love.

Congrats on your trip! I completely 'get' that feeling of freedom and adventure.

We have replaced our backpacks with rolling suitcases. It took awhile to not feel guilty about that, but we're good now.
Thanks. Backpacks, suitcases, saddle bags, a locker in the berth, makes no difference IMHO. What matters is that we are out doing it, experiencing and living life to the fullest. That means different things to different folks, and, to me, as long as we're doing it, that's the best life we can live.

35 to 40' would be ideal, just make sure you confirm the draft (in fresh water), ESPECIALLY if you are thinking of doing the Trent-Severn Waterway! For there you absolutely have to have less than 5' draft, 4.5' or less is better, or you have sign a waiver letter with the Waterway people.

Back
Top Bottom