Boat sharing . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwnall

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
This is kind of an unusual post, I suppose, but I tend to do that from time to time.

I have a 36-foot trawler, located at St. Marks, Florida, and for health reasons am not able to do all the necessary maintenance work on it which badly needs to be done.

Probably somewhere on this forum there is someone in the general area (North Florida, South Georgia, South Alabama) who has maintenance skills and wants to eventually get into the trawler business, but is still getting established in life and family takes priority for finances.

So, if there is someone in that category, who would be interested in boat sharing, I would like to hear from them. I provide the boat, I pay the slip rent, you take care of maintenance. Times for use of boat to be coordinated -- I don't see that as any problem.

Private message preferred, but if you want to reply to this that is OK too.

Thanks,
John

However responses from possible sharers come, please update us on the response and the results, if you move forward with an arrangement.

Greg.

I'm not interested as I have my own boat to maintain, but I think this a very interesting idea. If I might suggest, maybe offer some idea of the required type of maintenance. Some might view it as annual engine room stuff, where others might think you're talking recoring decks and varnishing a wood hull.

Ted

That's a tricky deal. Maintenance can easily spin out of control. What happens when you think it needs to be serviced, and the partner thinks it's fine?? A new shaft, strut, cutlass bearing will blow this deal out of the water.

I would go slowly, which of course you will. I think it could work, you should leave yourself and the other party a pretty decent exit strategy in case it becomes a hassle for either party.

pete

Back
Top Bottom