Thruster Joystick upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Streff

Vessel Make
Californian 45 MY
Hello,

We have wesmar Bow & Stern thrusters. The thursters’ joysticks are no more than 1.5” high/tall. It is a bit inconvenient to reach down to use them and also use the shifter sticks. I am envious of the big beefy joysticks that I see for other brands. Any ideas or comments on how to extend the joysticks would be appreciated.

There is a small hard plastic ball that screws to the top of the short stick. I can probably find a metallic extension that would screw to the threads in lieu of the ball. But it would be a thin metallic extension. Just looking for ideas to modify the joysticks.

Thank you in advance,

Streff

You already covered what I was going to suggest. Find some SS metal tubing that is a hair bigger id than the existing rod. THen epoxy the extension and the ball, or a new ball, to extend the existing control rod.
If need be get the tube turned out on a lathe so it just slides over the existing rod and can then be epoxied in place. Same for the ball.

You have mostly covered my suggestion but I will make it anyways.
How is the existing control handle secured to the control head? Is it a piece with the control or can the rod be removed and replaced.

Unless you have access to and are skilled enough to do some turning then try to locate some small S.S. tubing or rod that can be modified to slide over the existing rod to the length you want to then be epoxied in place.

If you don't need the handle removeable then modify the knob so it just slides over the extension and epoxy it in place also.

Ask around of friends, school trades shops, local machine shops, as they will sometimes do stuff like this.

Back
Top Bottom