Boat Theft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not a spur of the moment theft. Its obvious it was planned.
So- If it was planned, they must have planned a destination and perhaps unloading to someone who wants something like this. Being such a unique boat, how do they think they can get away with this? Or can they?

Or maybe they took it for a joyride- Boat around for a few months and then dump it. Catch a flight home from wherever they dump it and no-one would be the wiser.

Assume someone spots in somewhere in the Bahamas or other non-US territory. What's the next step? Go to the police if you can find one and tell them - not sure they would do anything. Show them an article from the internet as proof?

Just curious how that would work out.

The guy stiffed the Bahamian marina and fuel dock. The Bahamian navy and local police are looking for him there. My guess is he’s headed for the Caribbean some where and is already gone.

Couldn't see the whole article.... owner was Canadian but don't know where the boat is registered/documented.

IF...probably only a comparison...but if it is registered/documented in a place that is similar to USCG documentation...the US government would get involved with other governments to be on the lookout for it.

There is a reward that I saw in the article...not sure if from the owner or insurance company in conjunction with the bank (if money loaned) is offering.... plus if they hire a repo guy....all they may need is a location (any place).

Couldn't see the whole article.... owner was Canadian but don't know where the boat is registered/documented.

IF...probably only a comparison...but if it is registered/documented in a place that is similar to USCG documentation...the US government would get involved with other governments to be on the lookout for it.

There is a reward that I saw in the article...not sure if from the owner or insurance company in conjunction with the bank (if money loaned) is offering.... plus if they hire a repo guy....all they may need is a location (any place).
I was able to read the entire article. Boat is registered and documented in Canada. The owners son apparently stays on the boat as caretaker. He stated he'd left the boat locked but the key is kept in an unlocked cabinet. The boats AIS had been disabled. Finally, the boat entered Bahamas under a cruising permit issued last June.

Bahamian police will pursue. They had no hesitation to arrest , detain, and deport Sam Bankman-Fried, the crypto fraudster currently on trial in NYC. Also, the boat left the marina owing almost $3000 in fuel and berthing fees.

Many boats are not intuitive to start. Anyone take steps to make it difficult? A well placed battery switch? Maybe shutting off fuel valves?

Peter

wait a sec... how ON EARTH does one load $2600 worth of fuel without payment???

I mean, I get that the Bahamas are a bit of a different world, but are they actually on a different planet?

I mean, I get that the Bahamas are a bit of a different world, but are they actually on a different planet?

Heck.... the airport on Great Inagua used to double charge the USCG for fuel till we caught on.... :facepalm:

Yeah.... must be when you boat in those kind of yachting circles people aren't as keen to notice no one has paid yet. :nonono:

My old boat had a simple locking battery switch buried in the step leading to the helm door.....you really had to look for it but only had to have a pretty universal key or a 10 second power unscrew and connect the cable to start the engine. That's why I did away with it. The other easy way is to run a jumper or two to the right solenoids on the engine if you already know which engine is in the boat.

If I want a boat...they are usually pretty easy to start...it's getting it far away quickly enough that deters most theft.

Last edited:

They left a credit card on deposit. When they tried to run it, it was declined. Card was in the name of the boats owner.

Marina owner stated they had no suspension. Infant child, dog, nice polite captain. Raised no alarm to the marina.

Peter

Trust but verify always has the the standard and works best when applied.

When I worked in the hotel world, guests credit cards were authorized but not charged on check in. That way we knew we would get paid. I can't imagine a fuel vendor would not do the same?

Many boats are not intuitive to start. Anyone take steps to make it difficult? A well placed battery switch? Maybe shutting off fuel valves?

Peter

When leaving the boat, I always move the battery switch for the engine-start batteries to "Off." That should deter a novice. Some boaters I know who are more paranoid than me install a secondary, unlabeled battery switch in the starting circuit, in a discreet but easily-reached location.

This particular theft was obviously the work of someone who had observed, planned and prepared (and also had a lot of nerve). When the full story becomes known, it'll almost certainly turn out to have involved someone who was previously known to the owner or captain / crew.

Last edited:
Had our small ski boat stolen last year when tied on dock behind trawler at an Island we belong to. Luckily amateurs, found it in weeds on another Island, Honda ignition was jimmied but couldn't get it started. Cut their hand trying so got DNA like that will ever be used. Just stole radio. Now boat gets locked to trawler or dock. Can't trust anyone.

When I worked in the hotel world, guests credit cards were authorized but not charged on check in. That way we knew we would get paid. I can't imagine a fuel vendor would not do the same?

In reality, not even close.

I have never given a credit card before fueling. Even commercial vessels all I ever did was verify whether the company card was still valid/on file.

This does not sound like a random theft. In fact it appears that the thief was very knowledgeable on Bahama customs and the marina’s handling of financial transactions. If ever caught I suspect we will see a previous relationship between the thief and the boat.

Greetings,
Mr. SK. Hmmmm....I'm sure there's an app that could trace that. Good thought.

iu

Two days ago the boat was aty isla mujeris Mexico acording to the AIS tracking.

Two days ago the boat was aty isla mujeris Mexico acording to the AIS tracking.
Ah... so it could possibly have been taken so it could be used as drug runner for the cartels? :angel:

I think the timing isn't great for it to wind up that far away... and kinda silly for it to be broadcasting AIS.

Plus I bet there would be a lookout for it at the Panama Canal.

Depending on who stole it, I would think the best places to head are the ones that don't like Americans or Canadians (even by default for being a US ally) and that could be parts of Latin America or the Middle East.

I

Depending on who stole it, I would think the best places to head are the ones that don't like Americans or Canadians (even by default for being a US ally) and that could be parts of Latin America or the Middle East.

One of the other stories on the Loose Cannon blog chronicles theft of "Chillin' Like a Villain," arguably one of the garish wrap jobs in the planet. The thieves planned either Cuba or Venezuela due to lack of extradition if caught.

Good story. Worthy of American Greed episode.

https://loosecannon.substack.com/p/made-a-killin-was-chillin-like-a

Peter

Ah... so it could possibly have been taken so it could be used as drug runner for the cartels? :angel:

Maybe...

But... They do not need to steal things for their business and make no doubt about it, drugs are a business nothing more and nothing less.

The only difference is in the drug business they seem to like to kiil the competition.

It's funny how people talk about the fabled Mexican Cartels, while ignoring that the exact same organization exists in every American city.

Try setting up shop selling drugs in Chicago, or Seattle and see just how quickly and violently the people that currently claim that territory as their domain react.

Maybe...

But... They do not need to steal things for their business and make no doubt about it, drugs are a business nothing more and nothing less.

The only difference is in the drug business they seem to like to kiil the competition.

It's funny how people talk about the fabled Mexican Cartels, while ignoring that the exact same organization exists in every American city.

Try setting up shop selling drugs in Chicago, or Seattle and see just how quickly and violently the people that currently claim that territory as their domain react.
While I agree with your general point, Mexico's cartel problem is rooted in corruption. Couple that with a generally lower funded police force and you wind up with few consequences for being a bad actor. Something like 96% of homicides in Mexico go unsolved.

In the US, easy to identify the "white hats." Not so in Mexico. AMLO made some inroads to solve petty corruption. But has not put a dent in the hi-dollar cartels.

If a bounty hunter makes a stink and the boat is in Mexico, Mexico LEO will be happy to assist. Mexico has many small task-forces that go after Americans seeking to disappear in Mexico. It's sport for them.

That said, I obviously enjoy Mexico and accept the culture despite its flaws. Outside of news reports, my life in Mexico is not affected by cartels. The people I encounter are warm, friendly, and honest. Deep seeded family-orientrd culture.

Peter

Last edited:
That's crazy! Hope they catch the thief and you get your boat back soon. It's a nightmare dealing with theft like this.

Boy, what a story. That's some diligent police work. (And as I was reading I also thought, yep, that's exactly why the US has that annoying rule about not being able to change or re-flash an AIS unit entirely yourself. But of course that's a separate topic.)

Incredible !
So someone can take your boat and once they make it to the Bahama's they can basically do what they want ?
Am happy to read the cop in Belize was more realistic and willing to intervene. Perhaps the 20.000 USD reward should be given to the police party fund or to a local charity if the police is not allowed to accept it.

This theft was on a totally different scale than anything which could happen at my marina.

I think we explored this in the long forgotten past. But...

Just for fun, say someone wanted to steal my boat:

1) MUCH easier to just buy it.
2) My marina friends would question what was going on.
3) The marina owner would not fuel it for them without asking questions.
4) At 9 mph, even two days later the boat would still be in the neighborhood.

I recently bought a boat, 25 foot Sea Ray, with a distress title. WHAT A MESS! Even with the previous owners P.O.A. co-operating it will take close to a year before I get a clear title. Can you imagine a stolen Million plus $$ yacht/

pete

Back
Top Bottom