Boat Trader problem $339.15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaFlorida

Veteran Member
We recently listed our boat on “Boat Trader” back in April for a total cost of $339.13 dollars. The listing is by private owner not listed with a broker.

We noticed that our boat model was listed on the second page, which is understandable at first. But now we are noticing that when there is a new listing by a broker (same model as ours), those listings are located on the first page up on top. Plus the ad states “New Listing”.

We contacted boat trader and asked if we could get placed on the top page. And willing to pay. Unfortunately they stated that there is nothing that they can do.

I’m wondering if brokers listings get placed on top, because when a boat is sold, boat trader gets a commission? Does anyone know if this is true or why would they favor brokers?

Thanks

<<Why would they favor brokers?>>

Because the broker is much more likely to be an ongoing source of income.

I listed with Boat Trader. In my opinion not worth the $$$. All I got was attempted scams. Any conversation with Boat Trader "Support" was a complete waste of time. I won't ever use them again. Craigslist is more reliable.

Had to look. If you scroll to the bottom you can see choice private and dealer. Click on dealer and get this question "Estimated Inventory Volume *". The more 000's the more prominent position in the ads. Just my WAG.

Many years ago I had a listing for my business on google search engines. There I bought priority in my chosen area. My little company was competing with the big boys and searches showed me either first or second to main competitor, we took turns, so I knew they were doing the same buying priority. It was fun and grew my business as well. It paid off.

Steve, not really sure how your post, although probably accurate, has any relevance to the subject at hand.
On another note, if I were selling a boat, I would list on, and in no particular order:
  • Trawler Forum Classified Ads
  • Cruisersforum Classified Ads
  • MTOA Classified Ads
  • Defever Forum (if a DeFever, or similar boat)
  • Craigslist as mentioned previously mentioned
  • Facebook Marketplace
All the above are either free, or available for a very nominal fee, well lower than the cost of taking out a national ad on boat trader.

Bottom line, NO ONE is going to be able to represent your boat like YOU can!

Bottom line, NO ONE is going to be able to represent your boat like YOU can!
I agree with your selection of advertising, however, it was Boat Trader that actually brought the real customer to my door.

As to individuals representing themselves, most are not capable. In fact, we went through great pains to keep sellers and buyers separated as the seller screwed up more deals than they helped.

Boat Trader chargers brokers $9,000 per year. So they may get top billing.

As far as listing on Boat Trader I sold my boat in three days on Boat Trader. A friend used them and it took him about 6 weeks. So knock it if you like but it was good to me an NO Commission!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom