Boat value

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slhubbs

I’m a new member and looking for a GB36 or 42. I noticed a large price diference between the late 1970 boats vs early 1980. I’m trying to figure out why besides engine hours, engine make equipment. Different construction ?
Thanks for input

Welcome! As a recent buyer and now a late 80's 42 owner - location (east or west coast or elsewhere) matters a lot. I don't believe there is any major construction differences from early glass until around '92? when the 42's at least got around 8-10" larger in beam - which makes a HUGE difference. As I am sure you have discerned from reading these forums - GBs all have a set of 'red flags' - fuel tanks, teak decks, windows - which really, at 35+years, is about an individual boat - and you can't generalize about all boats of that era.
While any individual upgrade doesn't necessarily move the needle on price - the totality of the upgrades over the last decade might matter..

When we looked - there were huge differences between mid 70's and late '80s - not so much within a 5-6 year period. Of course GB started offering much larger engine configurations - depending on how you dream of using your new boat - that might matter.

We did look at 36's - there seem to be more options - only forward cabin, port and starboard doors or not, etc - these might be very important for the admiral!

If you provide some concrete comparisons - I am sure we all will chime in on 'value'!

When you mention a huge difference with the late 80s GB42 what were they other than engine configuration I looked at a 1989 and the teak decks were 3/8 inch thick at best and the 1978 I looked at were 1/2 inch. I think important when making repairs
i met I’m on west coast
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom