Boater’s evolution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That spare outboard could cost you $40K. Convenient but pretty expensive.
Yes, but owning a boat and not being able to use it is expensive in many different ways,

Fortunately for my skiff, the motor is only about $15,000.

Last edited:
If you are into the collared commercial look, I think this one looks like a huge bargain. I have no idea how hard it would be to transport it to where you live from England, but it's small enough that I bet it wouldn't be too bad. If you could find the right team, I bet you could rebuild the cabin on this one to make it better for pleasure boating, and get everything else in good repair and still be about 1/4-1/3 of the cost of building it new. I think the Yanmar, with the ultrajet is a cool power combination. I recently met a guy that had a similar sized boat that he had custom made about 20 years ago that had a Cummins and Hamilton jet. He loved it, it got surprisingly good economy, and it had been trouble free for 20 years.

Finished in 2022 with 70 hrs on the engine.
Fits the bill but as you say logistics are problematic. Also still tending towards outboards.

Here you go @Hippocampus , a couple of more aluminum outboard boat options -

Interesting the Arksen is most efficient at around 26-kts (1.31 nms/gal). Less than 100 nms for range, but gets there pretty efficiently.

1726774999781.png

Arksen is aimed at being a mega yacht tender for a ridiculous amount of money and little bang for the buck c/w a Lifeproof.
The eagles look to be a great boat and would check all our boxes but for a key one. Finding a berth in New England within <1h from the dirt dwelling. Seems around 30’ is the magic number with 9’ airdraft in the water and <14’ overall with antennas down. This allows rack storage just at just about anywhere and trailering back to the LF dealer in my town for storage.
Looked at excellent CCs like regulator, contender etc. great boats but same money and need more engine(s). One season boats. Looked traditional grp cabin boats. Boats sold to the recreational crowd but also near shore commercial fishing and lobstering/raking. Excellent value but much slower so some fishing areas lost to me due to time. Snooped th narrow Finnish boats-not fishable. Looked at small cats and they remain in the running.
On Sunday taking a couple out for a test ride. If it goes well then passes survey the NT is gone. So need more suggestions. Silver streak makes several models that may fit the bill. Also not cheap. Talking with insurance was surprised easier to insure the Lifeproof. Thanks.

Look like great boats. Smallest I saw was 34’ and as you say logistics of purchasing is an issue. Also looked at some Canadian Al boats but the same problem and closest dealer on the Great Lakes. Spoke with response marine. A naval architecture group in Newburyport. They said to do an Al boat locally use
Lyman Morse-Maine
Sound Marine -ny
Or
One3 powerboats CT.
May go that route and deal with resale issue later. Prefer series production as less expensive and no resale issues like with a one off.
Lyman Morse has a long hx in many materials so likely less resale problems. But expensive.

Arksen is aimed at being a mega yacht tender for a ridiculous amount of money and little bang for the buck c/w a Lifeproof.
The eagles look to be a great boat and would check all our boxes but for a key one. Finding a berth in New England within <1h from the dirt dwelling. Seems around 30’ is the magic number with 9’ airdraft in the water and <14’ overall with antennas down. This allows rack storage just at just about anywhere and trailering back to the LF dealer in my town for storage.
Looked at excellent CCs like regulator, contender etc. great boats but same money and need more engine(s). One season boats. Looked traditional grp cabin boats. Boats sold to the recreational crowd but also near shore commercial fishing and lobstering/raking. Excellent value but much slower so some fishing areas lost to me due to time. Snooped th narrow Finnish boats-not fishable. Looked at small cats and they remain in the running.
On Sunday taking a couple out for a test ride. If it goes well then passes survey the NT is gone. So need more suggestions. Silver streak makes several models that may fit the bill. Also not cheap. Talking with insurance was surprised easier to insure the Lifeproof. Thanks.

30 ft is your magic number? You want fishability? Aluminum? Outboard? Maybe Kingfisher is your answer, checks all the boxes with several models -

Several dealers in the U.S. The boats seem low enough to be easily trailerable -

Or maybe an Extreme Boats?

All ready had kingfisher on the list but thanks for making me aware of extreme

Back
Top Bottom