Bolt cutters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amxr39

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Allegro
Vessel Make
Helmsman 38E Hull #61
Does anyone keep bolt cutters on board in case you need to cut and anchor chain? Will most bolt cutters even cut through an anchor chain?

Get the right sized ones and not too bad if you have arm strength. Though I haven't tried it on the larger sizes of HT chain.

Never needed mine in 20,000 miles of cruising and anchoring.... except once for the padlock to get into the cabin and a rusty bike lock....(y)

I knew I had a grinder with a cutting wheel, but the iron filings will speckle rust the entire area if not careful an it takes longer than bolt cutters if the cutters and you are as advertised.

Bolt cutters take up a lot of room. I like the grinder with the slicer wheel too. Definitely think about the rust issue before cutting, aim the sparks in a good direction, put something down to collect the debris. (Preferably something fire retardant)

Does anyone keep bolt cutters on board in case you need to cut and anchor chain? Will most bolt cutters even cut through an anchor chain?
=========================
I do, but not for the reason stated.
Sailboat, carry one to cut standing rigging in case of dismasting
, made sure I can cut the stainless wires ( I can)

For anchor chain,
check how the bitter end of the chain is fastened in your chain locker, more likely a shackle? tied up a line?

I prefer a line, easy to cut with a knife, let the chain run loose, tie a floater for later retrieval.
shackles rust and need a tool to unscrew the pin, not the best time to work in emergencies.

We did for 20 plus years and never use them.

We did keep a serrated knife in the pilot house thinking if we had to cut the anchor loose we cut the line at the bitter end. We had fenders that we could tie to the chain first to mark it. We never had to though, just thought about it a lot.

Last edited:
Try it on 5/16” or 3/8” chain. Then you will quickly purchase a battery operated grinder with cut-off wheel!
Great idea. I just ordered one. Obviously can do a lot more than cut a lick or an anchor chain.

I used a hack saw to cut a 3/8 anchor chain snagged on my anchor. It was incredible how strong the chain was. There was a tremendous amount of tension on the chain. I thought it would bend apart after I cut through the first half of the link. It stayed intact until I was almost completely through the second half. Pretty amazing-gave me a ton of confidence in anchor chain. I now carry a cordless grinder and a grinder with a power cord.

For my 40 footer, I did the math and had 5/16 BBB anchor chain. Don't and didn't need advice on what I should have had.

My bolt cutters could snap that in seconds.

I stored them leaning against the flybridge fairing just inside the locker under the upper dash. Took up almost no room for anything else and was handy for their real use of cutting locks...as I said never had to cut my chain and probably would have buoyed it, cut the tail end poly and come back for it or sent SeaTow/BoatUS to recover it for me.

I was a ACIW cruiser for many years and was thinking loop but never did it. If I cruised different areas, maybe I would have had a different plan if my plans were different....but I was happy with what I had. Yes I had a grinder aboard as well as every tool I owned when I moved aboard with no dirt storage. But the bolt cutters were satisfactory for me, I owned them, quicker than digging out my grinder, cleaner...etc...etc...

Pick your poison.... but having a pair aboard if they will cut your chain, they probably have other uses too.

I carried bolt cutters on my Albin since i had all chain rode. i had 5/16 chain and i tested the tool on that size chain before i bought them. They the easily cut thru the chain and very quickly
Fortunately I never had to use them. Gave them to a friend when I sold the boat.
If you go the grinder/ cutoff wheel route, make sure you wear safety glasses.

Any specific recommendation for the cutter? I'm wondering what length or model would work for 5/16 HT (G4) chain.

Any specific recommendation for the cutter? I'm wondering what length or model would work for 5/16 HT (G4) chain.
I bought the cheap bolt cutters from Harbor Freight. They were horrible! Couldn't get through one link, thus the purchase of of a cordless grinder. I bought the Ryobi grinder as all my tools use the Ryobi batteries, which makes buying the grinder without a battery, very cheap.

I picked my bolt cutters from the dumpster.

They had a bent hadle which I straightened and then I sharpened the cutters.

Not sure what brand but they were.... pretty cheaply made...however they cut BBB chain anf hardened locks fine.

Like Jay said, take a few links of your chain to a store and check them out first.

I have a pair of 24" from HF onboard in a big ziplock bag, Tried them out on my 5/16 BBB and they did OK. Definitely try them out in the store so you know if you have enough strength. My anchor is secured with a length of floating poly line that can be immediately cut if needed with a Dexter Russell Great White Blade knife strapped to the Sampson Post.
1717615032212.png

very important testing if you have the strength, I don't and found a way to increase the leverage on both handles.
I cut two 18 inches of pvc pipe that slide on top,extendlng the length of both handles (increasing leverage).
checking the hardware store make sure to choose the reinforced pipe

Given actually using the bolt cutters kept onboard lies somewhere between unlikely and never, and the ones I see are not 316, a rust protection coating and sealed packaging would be a good idea.

I got my cutters at the localTractor Supply. The two test cuts i made on 5/16 chain in their store was the only cuts i made. Kept them in the step storage bin next to the lower helm and they never rusted in 10 years.

My plan was to use a simple Dremel tool with the fiber blade. Will cut a 3/8 bolt in under 30 seconds.

It was probably the most commonly used electric tool after my drill for doing boat projects.

Ted

I have an angle grinder but my current plan if push comes to shove is to just run out my entire rode to the bitter end and tie a buoy off to it in hope of a later intact recovery. I’ve got a spare anchor and prepared 250’ chain/rope rode in the lazarette just in case.

As it happens I cut loose 150’ of chain with an angle grinder 2 days ago. Leaned out over the pulpit so as not to get the filings on the deck.

Devils' advocate here. How many feet of chain do you have, how many feet in the water.

I have 200 feet of chain and have not had to let the rode attached go out. Suppose I have 150 of chain out, what value is there to save the last 50 feet?

I have 400’ of chain, so cutting loose 150 left 250 in the locker. I know it’s possible to splice chain, though I haven’t yet researched whether that’s a good idea or whether it would go through my windlass. There was a thread here on this a few years ago:

Splicing together 3/8 chain

Yup, I am post 2 on that thread and while aware have never had to splice chain. But if you occasionally use the better part of 400 feet then it makes sense to cut away and splice.

Back
Top Bottom