bottom paint question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulga

Guru
Vessel Name
DD
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Sundeck 40'
Is the bottom in normal working condition, or is it need a sanding procedure and new barrier coatings?

what's the white string there for?

9028768_20230907150546841_1_XLARGE.jpg

It looks fairly bad but the photo makes it difficult to tell. If it is as bad as it looks then I would soda blast to the gel coat and look for blisters. If no blisters found the barrier coat and bottom paint. If blisters then fix them, then barrier coat and paint. Sanding to bare gel coat would be a horrible chore and huge mess. Hire the bottom blasted and then DIY the paint if you want to. Our will let you do most any work EXCEPT sanding bottom paint.

Hard to tell without knowing how long the hull has been in the water. Looks like normal small stuff that grows after a year or two. Definitely needs a hull scraping but is maybe a year or so from needing a bottom job.

FWIW a sand down and barrier coat is usually used to protect from blistering, which I don’t see in this pic.

David

I remember soda blast plus barrier coating would cost $20k for a ~40ft hull

it would look much better if the hull has had one bottom paint per year -- in this case, what's the method of applying the new bottom paint? do you still need to sand down the existing paint, but not as much as to the gel coat?

It looks fairly bad but the photo makes it difficult to tell. If it is as bad as it looks then I would soda blast to the gel coat and look for blisters. If no blisters found the barrier coat and bottom paint. If blisters then fix them, then barrier coat and paint. Sanding to bare gel coat would be a horrible chore and huge mess. Hire the bottom blasted and then DIY the paint if you want to. Our will let you do most any work EXCEPT sanding bottom paint.

I am glad that I didn’t have to pay that for a bottom job. I have the quote for the blasting, 3 coats of barrier coat, 3 coats of bottom paint and haul and blocking. $3695 for labor plus paint costs.

Hard to really tell from one fuzzy picture, but it looks pretty normal from here. Might be a bit thick, again, hard to tell from this picture.
Usual method would be power wash, vacuum sand and bottom paint. Finding defects usually happens when sanding, so remedy as needed.

Just had the bottom of my 41 foot motor yacht blasted and painted, was $2400. Didn't need barrier coat. A lot of yards won't let you sand bottom paint anymore as it's really toxic. It's actually the EPA cracking down on it, in the old East Coast yards with 200 years of history the ground is really contaminated. In the yard I had it done in Missouri, they didn't even put down tarps, they just let the dust lay on the ground. Amazing. Back home in Michigan they at least sweep up after.

Last edited:
does this method only removes one layer of paint from last season, before applying one new layper of paint? what's the normal price per foot of this method vs soda blast + barrier coatings + paint?

Hard to really tell from one fuzzy picture, but it looks pretty normal from here. Might be a bit thick, again, hard to tell from this picture.
Usual method would be power wash, vacuum sand and bottom paint. Finding defects usually happens when sanding, so remedy as needed.

what's the white string there for?

View attachment 142073

Maybe as a guide for the lifting strap, it has to be forward of the string? Put it aft and it will bend the rudder shoe. Is this a Grand Banks? I read on another forum that they used round head screws in the rub rail at the strap points, all the others are flat heads. Hardly anyone knows about that, including the Travel Lift operators. They have to have some kind of a guide.

Last edited:
I have seen inconspicuous "sling" printed in letter under the aft rub rail
the boat in the picture is a Custom trawler

Maybe as a guide for the lifting strap, it has to be forward of the string? Put it aft and it will bend the rudder shoe. Is this a Grand Banks? I read on another forum that they used round head screws in the rub rail at the strap points, all the others are flat heads. Hardly anyone knows about that, including the Travel Lift operators. They have to have some kind of a guide.

I'll differ from Comodave (which means I am probably wrong). Bottom does not look awful. I look for 'paint sickness' where the old paint has sloughed-off and painted over. There comes a point where the layers of old paint need to be removed. Could be the picture is bad, but I don't see that here.

Why do you ask? Are you the owner and concered about a quote from a yard? Or are you a buyer or seller?

No idea why the string is there. I've never seen something like that so deem it inconsequential.

Peter

I'm asking from a buyer perspective
the picture probably only shows maintenance in arears, it shouldn't look so peeled off with regular bottom maintenance applied. Other details are not revealed directly , e.g. blisters

I'll differ from Comodave (which means I am probably wrong). Bottom does not look awful. I look for 'paint sickness' where the old paint has sloughed-off and painted over. There comes a point where the layers of old paint need to be removed. Could be the picture is bad, but I don't see that here.

Why do you ask? Are you the owner and concered about a quote from a yard? Or are you a buyer or seller?

No idea why the string is there. I've never seen something like that so deem it inconsequential.

Peter

The string is most likely polyester cord strapping. It is used to hold shrink wrap down. There is snow on the ground in the OP's picture. It's is highly likely that boat is shrinkwrapped.

Attachments

• shrinkwrap.jpg
    shrinkwrap.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
We always sand before painting !

If you are going to do a barrier coat then all the bottom paint should be removed. Sanding it all off is a miserable and messy job. I just pay to have it soda blasted and then do the barrier coat. It will cost $1,845 to blast the bottom to the gel coat on my 41, well worth it.

My wife and I did all of the bottom sanding on our last boat all the way down to the FRP.

Never again !

There is an advantage to being 75 years old and crabby :)

The string is most likely polyester cord strapping. It is used to hold shrink wrap down. There is snow on the ground in the OP's picture. It's is highly likely that boat is shrinkwrapped.

just curious, how do you shrink wrap the boat in winter wet storage?
the benefit of the wrap in the northern states could be waiving the owner of cleaning the snow off the roof and deck after every snow, and avoiding damages from icing and melting process

If you are going to do a barrier coat then all the bottom paint should be removed. Sanding it all off is a miserable and messy job. I just pay to have it soda blasted and then do the barrier coat. It will cost $1,845 to blast the bottom to the gel coat on my 41, well worth it.

is soda blast the same thing as sanding? or is it less messy but more costly?

Soda blasting is the same method as sand blasting, but baking soda is used. Soda blasting can be used with more sensitive substrates like fiberglass as the soda is less abrasive than sand.

sanding, particularly vacuum sanding, is easier to contain the waste as blasting blows stuff everywhere and should be tented.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom