Bronze bolts for swimstep brackets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spinoeca

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Rebecca Rose
Vessel Make
1969 Grand Banks 32
We have noted that the lower bolts that secure the swim step brackets though the transom have corrosion issues. I have pulled up and read the pertinent literature on corrosion. We have a galvanic isolator system that is daisy chained to the top bolts of the 4 brackets. I want to know what size silicon bronze bolts I need to purchase prior to our pull out in Jun please. Any other input appreciated as well. I guess I should add '69 32 woodie

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand. If you are just asking for the size of bolt - then simply measure what you took off and replace it.

If you are asking why the lower bolts corroded while the upper ones didn't, then it's possibly related to the upper bolts being on a galvanic isolator. Can you isolate the bolts from the swim step so there is no galvanic connection between the two?

thanks for the input. I'm trying to be proactive and obtain the correct size silicon bronze fasteners prior to haulout. We do not have a retail store for these in Port Angeles so I would have to go to Port Townsend. I could pop out one of the bolts above the waterline prior to haul out but accessing it would be difficult from the lazarette and being up under the swim step makes catching it difficult. If these are the original fasteners then I suspect they will not give themselves up peacefully. I can deal with the lazarette by brow beating younger and more lithe friends. Maybe I will try.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom