Camano Troll Sewer Bladder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MWhit

We have a contract on a 1997 Camano Troll. During the survey we found the trawler has a sewer bladder under the steps in front of the head. Is that normal? Did the Camano have a solid plastic holding tank at some point? We have no experience with a sewer bladder. Are they good? Cause for concern? Your thoughts greatly appreciated.

I can’t say a bladder is normal. My 2003 Camano has a plastic holding tank. The location is the same though.

Thanks. How many gallons is your holding tank? In The 1997, the macerator is on the head. Is your setup like that?

Thanks. How many gallons is your holding tank? In The 1997, the macerator is on the head. Is your setup like that?
15 gallon I believe. My boat has the vacuflush system, with most of the components under the front of the vberth and the macerator for overboard discharge behind the cabinet in the head closest to the starboard hull, bolted to the bulkhead it shares with the helm.

Bladders are the quick fix when you ruin a plastic holding tank, you can cut the tank out but you can't get a new one in the space. I used a flexible bladder for water after I over pressured my water tank due to a blocked vent, the tanks are only tested to a couple of psi because they aren't designed to be pressurized at all. My guess would be a similar event happened to that vessel requiring tank replacement.

My boat has a macerator on the toilet, and another on the discharge from the holding tank. I would expect yours to be similar.

Te first picture is the holding tank in my 2002 Camano, the second is the macerator pump in the overboard discharge. Dave
Bladders are the quick fix when you ruin a plastic holding tank, you can cut the tank out but you can't get a new one in the space. I used a flexible bladder for water after I over pressured my water tank due to a blocked vent, the tanks are only tested to a couple of psi because they aren't designed to be pressurized at all. My guess would be a similar event happened to that vessel requiring tank replacement.

My boat has a macerator on the toilet, and another on the discharge from the holding tank. I would expect yours to be similar.

1000002722.jpg
1000002721.jpg

Thanks for your reply.

The electrical head will have the water/macerator pump mounted to the bottom of the toilet!

I've never had a bladder holding tank but one issue I've read posts about is re: odors. It is impossible to get adequate air flow to the bladder and the anaerobic condition / bacteria are the smelly variety. No practical way to aerate to reach aerobic condition that's reqd to avoid the smells.

The electrical head will have the water/macerator pump mounted to the bottom of the toilet!

Two different macerator pumps.

The one on an electric head draws raw water into the bowl, and also evacuates water from the bowl, macerates bowl contents and sends the contents back to the holding tank.

The macerator shown in the picture draws from the holding tank, macerates, then discharges overboard through a through hull fitting.

I've never had a bladder holding tank but one issue I've read posts about is re: odors. It is impossible to get adequate air flow to the bladder and the anaerobic condition / bacteria are the smelly variety. No practical way to aerate to reach aerobic condition that's reqd to avoid the smells.
The bladder is indeed stinky. We are hoping to install a holding tank in the Spring. Will be looking to the forum for guidance.

Two different macerator pumps.

The one on an electric head draws raw water into the bowl, and also evacuates water from the bowl, macerates bowl contents and sends the contents back to the holding tank.

The macerator shown in the picture draws from the holding tank, macerates, then discharges overboard through a through hull fitting.
Thanks. That is helpful.

The bladder is indeed stinky. We are hoping to install a holding tank in the Spring. Will be looking to the forum for guidance.
Two things I would do. 1. Get a Ronco tank. They are quality tanks and they will install the needed fittings where you specify. 2. Use Raritan Saniflex hose. It is the best hose and is super flexible. Defender sells it by the foot.

Two things I would do. 1. Get a Ronco tank. They are quality tanks and they will install the needed fittings where you specify. 2. Use Raritan Saniflex hose. It is the best hose and is super flexible. Defender sells it by the foot.
Thanks. Helpful information.

I forgot one more item. When you install the new tank have 2 vents, 1 to each side of the boat and make them as large as possible. Ronco will spin in the fittings for you if you tell them exactly where you need them. The 2 vents will help keep the tank aerobic, good, instead of anerobic, bad. That will help keep the smell down.

One additional item I would add would at minimum be a plugged port to add a bubbler in the future if it's req'd to prevent smell.
It could be on a side or top as long as there is enough access to insert a dip/ diffuser tube. Some tanks / boats just don't lend themselves to adequate air flow to maintain aerobics.

One additional item I would add would at minimum be a plugged port to add a bubbler in the future if it's req'd to prevent smell.
It could be on a side or top as long as there is enough access to insert a dip/ diffuser tube. Some tanks / boats just don't lend themselves to adequate air flow to maintain aerobics.
Ok. Thanks.

I'm a bit late in seeing this thread...and I see that you're a new member here...welcome aboard!

Bladder tanks are ok for water and fuel, but not recommended for sewage holding because they hug the contents, keeping the contents anaerobic, which guarantees they'll generate stinky gasses. Probably installed because all the "off the shelf" and OEM installed tanks are rectangular and that owner wasn't aware that rigid plastic tanks are available in all kinds of shapes and sizes.

Ronco Plastics is your best source for a tank...they make TOP quality thick walled (50% thicker than any off-the shelf or OEM tank) for a very reasonable price and have more than 400! shapes and sizes in their catalog.. They also install female hose fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank. They sell direct and are great to work with.
Ronco Plastics Water and Waste Holding Tanks catalog
Ronco Plastics marine Tank drawings

First thing to do: find the best location for it. Then, as you look at the drawings, rotate, flip in any direction--'cuz there is no top or bottom till the fittings go in, and you decide where they go.

You'll also need new hoses, and Raritan SaniFlex is expensive but it's the top rated hose because it not only has a 10 year warranty against odor permeation, but it's also so flexible that it can be bent almost as tight as a hairpin without kinking...making most re-hosing jobs a whole bunch easier.

I'll be happy to help you with ALL the details including which retailers have the best prices.

--Peggie

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom