Can you tell me what this is?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lshulan

Vessel Name
Voyager
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
On my 2002 MS390 with single Yanmar 370 engine, while doing some routine maintenance on engine, I found a small clear hose on STBD AFT end (see picture) that isn’t attached to anything. I ran the engine and nothing comes out nor does it seem to be creating a vacuum. I looked everywhere the end of the hose could reach and couldn’t find a nipple or fitting that it could have hooked up to. While clear hose, it is stained dark close to where it starts. Ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0216.jpg
    IMG_0216.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0213.jpg
    IMG_0213.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 84
are you talking about the darkish one above the zinc or the really clear one?

if it's the dark one, it's a drain hose from the "bath tub" under the oil filter. when you change the filter, since it's horizontal, oil will leak out and pool in the bathtub. the drain will allow you to capture it in a bottle and then add to the rest of your old engine oil.

not sure what the really clear one id.

It’s the same hose, dark where it comes out and gets clearer towards end.

Rather than trying to find a way to catch that oil from the tube I cut pieces of oil absorbent pad and fill the "bath tub." I also punch a hole in the top of the filter, unscrew it one half turn, punch another hole, and let it drain. A little duct tape on the holes and the mostly empty filter comes off and into a small garbage bag.

My filter is mounted similar. I put a ziplock bag over the whole thing and unscrew it with the bag on it , then zip & heave

Rather than trying to find a way to catch that oil from the tube I cut pieces of oil absorbent pad and fill the "bath tub." I also punch a hole in the top of the filter, unscrew it one half turn, punch another hole, and let it drain. A little duct tape on the holes and the mostly empty filter comes off and into a small garbage bag.

When you say the filter drains after punching the hole(s), where does it drain to? Back in the engine? Or all over the absorbent pad? I have been trying to come up with a way to not have a big puddle of black oil under the filter in the "bathtub" which does not have a drain on my Yanmar 370.

Thanks!

Doug

I hold a small container under the filter to catch the oil. When it's about done I put a piece of duct tape on the top hole, rotate the filter, and tape the remaining hole. It helps if the oil is pretty warm.

White pig mats for oil changes. I'll stuff one under the filter, and if the filter has a backflow preventer in it ill try to put a shallow container under it. They get to be messy.

Form-a-funnel at NAPA or sometimes called flexible funnel elsewhere. Bend and shape to direct the flow to a bucket.

Oil absorbent pads and rags handy just in case.

I hold a small container under the filter to catch the oil. When it's about done I put a piece of duct tape on the top hole, rotate the filter, and tape the remaining hole. It helps if the oil is pretty warm.
This is my preferred method even with the well under the filter.

I would remote that filter. If the president of Yanmar had to change that even once, engineer's head would roll.

Excellent Method!

Thanks for this. I changed the oil and filter today on our Pilot 34 and punched a hole in the top of the filter toward the end as you suggested then rotated it half a revolution and punched another hole catching the oil that drained out of the filter in an old plastic pan I use for the purpose. Once the oil drained from the filter I covered the two holes with duct tape as you suggested and removed the filter placing it immediately in a zip lock bag. Just in case, I tucked half a pig mat under the filter to catch any oil that dribbled out as I unscrewed it the rest of the way and there was indeed a little oil to be caught from the mount but it was all soaked up by the mat.

This was by far the easiest and neatest method I have tried for changing the horizontal filter and it made the oil change a breeze. The rest was handled by an X-Change system that sucks the old oil out and pumps the new oil in.

Thanks for the suggestion, it made this task so much easier!

Best,
Doug

Back
Top Bottom